more drink questions...sorry

If you have to ask you probably don't need a drink package. I never purchase one. They are convenient yes, but unless included in the fare I go ala carte. Not sure about RCCL, but on their sister company X I purchased a Bon Voyage bottle of liquor delivered to my cabin. I didn't drink it all, but you DH mentioned the bourbon. Something to look into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have to ask you probably don't need a drink package. I never purchase one. They are convenient yes, but unless included in the fare I go ala carte. Not sure about RCCL, but on their sister company X I purchased a Bon Voyage bottle of liquor delivered to my cabin. I didn't drink it all, but you DH mentioned the bourbon. Something to look into.

RCI does not do that. No purchased bottles for the stateroom are sold by the ship or permitted. The two bottles of wine at 750 ml each per stateroom brought on at original embarkation is all that is allowed.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

RCI does not do that. No purchased bottles for the stateroom are sold by the ship or permitted. The two bottles of wine at 750 ml each per stateroom brought on at original embarkation is all that is allowed.

No hard liquor, but you can arrange for wine or champagne to be in your cabin, upon arrival. https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/onboard-delivery/wine-cellar

I would say don't buy the drink pacakage unless you plan on partying hard every day of the cruise.

As others said, not really. They have $12 cocktails drinking 3-4 of those spread out over the whole day and night will do it.

We typically get up, have 2 beers with lunch. Have a few cocktails or beers by the pool. Have 2 or 3 glasses of wine with dinner. Have more cocktails and beers after dinner and into the night. For seven days.

That is closer to partying hard, but that doesn't get me drunk. It is a great value for what I pay, too.

If you drink 1 glass of wine a day, probably not worth it.

No hard liquor, but you can arrange for wine or champagne to be in your cabin, upon arrival. https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/onboard-delivery/wine-cellar

Yes - I am aware of that. I was referring to RCI v Celebrity regarding liquor bottles as mention by the poster I was answering - not the wine and champagne offered by RCI.

I disagree.

Alcohol tolerance depends on a lot of things. You being tipsy or not has no bearing on anything.

The packages are not meant to save you money. Most people who post seem to break even or not use the full package value. If you are in port some days or not actively drinking every day, it's better to purchase as you go.

My nonsensical opinion.

Perfect, I love this answer Marci. I some times think that so many of the answers given here in this forum are 'paid' by RCL (you know, the 'high number members' that provide solid strong endorsement to RCL, like almost scripted answers) but you have proven me wrong.

As for my .02 cents, I've bought two drink packages because they sound just too fun not to have but I know that I would never break even, and much less it will never ever save me any money, so I (...we) have decided to cancel our drink packages for our next cruise.

On quite a few cruises I've heard folk say that they need to get absolutely @#$ in order to make their drink package value for money. Good to know it's not because they're problem drinkers and that it's a decision based solely on economic considerations.

Yes - I am aware of that. I was referring to RCI v Celebrity regarding liquor bottles as mention by the poster I was answering - not the wine and champagne offered by RCI.

Sorry! Didnt mean to offend. Just offering up more info.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Good to know, although, I never could drink the whole bottle and even attending wine seminars, coffees water martinis, I still came out ahead.

I disagree.

Alcohol tolerance depends on a lot of things. You being tipsy or not has no bearing on anything.

The packages are not meant to save you money. Most people who post seem to break even or not use the full package value. If you are in port some days or not actively drinking every day, it's better to purchase as you go.

My nonsensical opinion.

The package has saved me a considerable amount of cash...

I purchased the Premium Beverage package for my upcoming cruise. I thought I read it does NOT include cans of soda. Does that mean it DOES include soda from the free-standing machine? If we didn't have to pay for soda too, that would be amazing because my husband drinks his Diet Cokes like coffee in the morning.

Thx in advance.

I purchased the Premium Beverage package for my upcoming cruise. I thought I read it does NOT include cans of soda. Does that mean it DOES include soda from the free-standing machine? If we didn't have to pay for soda too, that would be amazing because my husband drinks his Diet Cokes like coffee in the morning.

Thx in advance.

No package includes cans. If your ship has a freestyle machine it is included.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thx in advance.

If your ship does not have the Freestyle machines, then you can still get soda at restaurants and bars.

Thx in advance.

You are right. None of the packages include CANS of soda. It has happened on a few occasions that a bartender might slip a can to a package holder but it is not standard policy. So since you pre-purchased your package, a Souvenir Soda glass will be already in your room. It contains an RFID chip that will activate the Freestyle Soda machine (Provided your ship has them and it is not out of order). You'll also be able to get Soda at any of the bars but selection is much more limited than from the Freestyle machines. You'll get the Cup even if your ship does not have the Freestyle machines. You do not need the cup to get Soda or drinks from the bars but you will if you want to use the Freestyle machines.

dp

Edited by dpostman

Does anyone know what canned /premix / bottled drinks they have. Like Mikes Hard Lemonade or Bud Light's Strawberitas? (It's made by bud light and its 8%).

Some, but not all, of the bars will have "malt beverages" such as Smirnoff Ice, Strongbow or Angry Orchard. I think I remember seeing Mike's Hard Lemonade, but I'm not positive. I did not see any Bud Light 'Ritas.

Edited by ramja96

My husband ALWAYS gets the coke package on EVERY cruise since he is a diet coke fanatic. On our last cruise, on Oasis in May-we did the Royal Replenish-it was great to have bottles of water to take on our excursions', drink in the cabin,mix with crystal light. It is $8 day for soda /$19 for royal replenish. We are doing Freedom in Dec.-the special 20% off-is $33 for select-$44 for prem. So, for $25 dollars more a day-then the Royal Replenish- my husband is going to do the prem, for the first time. So- I think it can be a good deal-if you were going to get one of the other packages anyway.( He won $850-on Oasis-playing poker-so he is using that money for the package!, and we used the rest for our deposit for Freedom).:cool:

The package has saved me a considerable amount of cash...

Yup - me too. We more than broke even on our two Premium packages and the Replenish package (if that's the non-alcohol cocktails and premium coffee one)...

The only thing I can't justify is getting the Ultimate package over the Premium.

I never get up early enough to be drinking orange juice, let alone caring if it is freshly squeezed or not.

And the only time I drink coffee is before desert in the MDR. But I make it premium by adding a shot of Bailey's in it. :D

Just to add regarding the drink packages, a quick rule of thumb is that the approximate break even is about 6 drinks per day every day. And as they are sold on an individual basis, that break even is per person.

And as mentioned you can wait to buy it on board up until there are four remaining days including the last day left on your itinerary.

The "Break Even" is dependent on the PKG Price one Paid. So, while True, 6 Drinks per day may be the Break Even, that's assuming one paid the Std Ship Rate of $55 + 18% (or almost $65). Again, assuming 6 Drinks, the Avg Price of each Drink would need to be about $11.

Obviously, if one drinks Beer and Cocktails, the AVG per Drink would be lower, and one would need to drink significantly more to "Break Even".

So, YMMV, depending on your PKG Price, and the Avg Cost of your "typical" drink. In my case, I tend not to drink Beer (at least not on Cruises), and I probably am more inclined to drink the $10 - $13 "fru-fru" drinks. Admittedly, I'll need to drink like a Fish on Port Days, when I get back on Board.

But for me and spouse, I figure, we'll easily consume 2 per day (each) lying about the Pool & other afternoon activities, something with dinner, i.e. Wine, and another 2 (min) during the Evening Shows/Lounges we visit. Not to mention Bottled Water, just to stay hydrated during the afternoons. Based on my Pkg price, assuming the $10 - $13 range, I need to consume about 30-32 drinks in a week; maybe not doable, but I'd rather not "worry" about Breaking Even, I just want to enjoy the vacation w/o thinking about every dollar and decision I might have to make.

You are right. None of the packages include CANS of soda. It has happened on a few occasions that a bartender might slip a can to a package holder but it is not standard policy. So since you pre-purchased your package, a Souvenir Soda glass will be already in your room. It contains an RFID chip that will activate the Freestyle Soda machine (Provided your ship has them and it is not out of order). You'll also be able to get Soda at any of the bars but selection is much more limited than from the Freestyle machines. You'll get the Cup even if your ship does not have the Freestyle machines. You do not need the cup to get Soda or drinks from the bars but you will if you want to use the Freestyle machines.

dp

Thank you for all of the details - so my understanding is that I can get soda from any fountains, but not from a can.. That kind of sounds silly, but I'll remember it so that we know where to get what we need. I believe the Anthem does have the soda machines, which I'm excited about! I love all the fun flavors. Thanks!

Thank you for all of the details - so my understanding is that I can get soda from any fountains, but not from a can.. That kind of sounds silly, but I'll remember it so that we know where to get what we need. I believe the Anthem does have the soda machines, which I'm excited about! I love all the fun flavors. Thanks!

No Problem. Yes, Anthem has the Freestyle Machines. We're going on Anthem but only in 222 days (Next March). We're a group of about 10 Families. Fountain soda is included cause it is much much cheaper to dish out and creates a lot less waste. Can you imagine how much extra space soda cans would take for 5000 passengers :eek:, and then all the empty cans in the trash bins.

I hope you have a great cruise.

dp

No Problem. Yes, Anthem has the Freestyle Machines. We're going on Anthem but only in 222 days (Next March). We're a group of about 10 Families. Fountain soda is included cause it is much much cheaper to dish out and creates a lot less waste. Can you imagine how much extra space soda cans would take for 5000 passengers :eek:, and then all the empty cans in the trash bins.

I hope you have a great cruise.

dp

Sometimes I think that if it weren't for the mini-fridges in the cabins, they wouldn't bother to stock cans on board at all.

:eek: :)