Mid ship cabins help in reducing sea sickness?

steph001

The common analogy is to think of the ship like a seesaw. Cabins mid-ship will have less motion than those further forward or aft. Generally they are a bit more costly. If they are worth it is totally your decision. Personally, we like aft cabins as we enjoy feeling the ship.

If it's REALLY rough, you will feel it everywhere! Midships is great for up and down (bow to stern) movement, but side to side....there is no "good" place for that! If you are prone to motion sickness, there are plenty of aids you can use!

Midship isn't always "costly"...it simply depends on the type of cabin you get!

In addition to the above..."lower" deck mid-ship cabins are what many opt to choose when they have a concern. Also there is a chewable type Bonine that works well...you can purchase it at most Walmart's, Target etc.

Yes, mid-ship closer to sea level is supposed to be the most ideal. Price will not be a factor as there are many types available mid ship.

We have always started taking Ginger capsules a couple of days before we leave on a cruise, then during the cruise. We have never gotten sea-sick and we have been in a number of aft cabins where you can feel ship movement pretty well.

Ginger capsules are available at your local drug store and most likely in your local grocery store if they have a vitamin section.

Good luck, and happy cruising!

I'm prone to seasickness and have cruised midship and aft and I don't find that cabin location has much bearing on this. I'm rarely in the cabin, so if I'm going to be seasick on a particular sailing, it happens regardless of where my cabin is located.

Friends who cruise with us always book mid ship as they claim their equilibrium is better there. We prefer aft, and when they come down the hall to visit in our cabin, they are not able to stay long because of the motion.

• 3 weeks later...
If it's REALLY rough, you will feel it everywhere! Midships is great for up and down (bow to stern) movement, but side to side....there is no "good" place for that! If you are prone to motion sickness, there are plenty of aids you can use!

Midship isn't always "costly"...it simply depends on the type of cabin you get!

Good advice. Additionally, you should not book an inside cabin if you get seasick. It helps your equilibrium if you can look out at the horizon. Some people find fresh air to help, so balcony is probably best.

Sea bands, Bonine, the patch, and Dramamine are just some of the stuff out there to help combat seasickness. Also, you feel less motion on a bigger ship. Enjoy!

I am in the process of booking an accessible room on the Carnival DREAM- I was told that room 10201-10206 were in the very front of the boat. I am concerned with motion sickness.

The person with Carnival told me that the higher the floor it would be better and we should not get motion sickness.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel I need to ask other people and not take their word, in case they are just trying to sell the cabin

This is also a Sky-view Interior room- Does anyone have any experience or room photos of these rooms?

Thanks In advance!

Edited by nolamoofie
making it clear

I am in the process of booking an accessible room on the Carnival DREAM- I was told that room 10201-10206 were in the very front of the boat. I am concerned with motion sickness.

The person with Carnival told me that the higher the floor it would be better and we should not get motion sickness.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel I need to ask other people and not take their word, in case they are just trying to sell the cabin

This is also a Sky-view Interior room- Does anyone have any experience or room photos of these rooms?

Thanks In advance!

I'm not familiar with this ship, but the general rule is that a mid-ship cabin on a lower deck gets the least movement. You experience the most movement in a forward cabin on a high deck.