HEY Celebrity rep!!~!!! Your July newsletter is here: Old World, New World

A Sixth?

Video in email is only supported by a few email clients at this time. iOS devices, Outlook.com, Apple Mail and Thunderbird 13 were the only ones supporting it the last time I checked. Gmail, Yahoo, the desktop Outlook clients that most corporations use, and most others do not support it. The fallback for those clients is that a static image is shown with a link to open the video in a browser.

I work for a marketing automation company that sends around 50 million email a week for our clients and we strongly urge our clients to not try to embed a video in email. There are breathless blog articles from marketers telling our clients they will have a "50% increase in open rates" without telling them the number of complaints or opt-outs they will get. Our experience is that these kinds of "tricks" do increase "open" rates but also increase opt outs and complaints.

Auto playing a video, with sound on, in an email client should get someone fired at the marketing agency.

You beat me to it. I also work in Marketing Automation. The agency likely didn't test the email fully, or maybe they did and were over the proverbial barrel with the client so they let it go.

Our clients simply don't want to hear that content in the body of the email won't affect open rates. The Open Rate levers are Subject Line and Preheader Text. But A/B testing on subject lines by following a plan and a strategy just doesn't sizzle like "Let's embed a video!"

Nice to meet you, fellow email marketer :)

I made the same complaint one before and got the same type of response from my "friends" her on CC. I also made the mistake of admitting that I read the email at work (which is allowed by my employer) and the noise created a problem. I got no sympathy either

You go to the internet looking for sympathy????? :eek: The internet may not be right for you....

Whether or not a video in an email plays automatically or not is a setting on your computer. #usererror

Everyone on here always complains about X's "outdated" IT. If for once they do something relatively modern, there's complaints again. Figures.

with all the troubles facing the world like terrorism attacks in France, Brexit, Zika Virus & McIlroy missing the cut in the USPGA- is a Celebrity eMail worth getting so upset about [emoji33]

First World Problem :cool:

Beats the heck out of the e-mails I keep getting from a Nigerian Prince asking me to help get his money out of the country.

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

You go to the internet looking for sympathy????? :eek: The internet may not be right for you....

No, I know better than looking for sympathy on the internet, but common courtesy is always appreciated. (that's not directed at you)

Whether or not a video in an email plays automatically or not is a setting on your computer. #usererror

Everyone on here always complains about X's "outdated" IT. If for once they do something relatively modern, there's complaints again. Figures.

Not really. Only a few email clients will play a video inside of an email, no matter what settings you have on your computer or browser. If you use Gmail or Google Apps on a PC you are not going to have the video play. If you have an Apple device, it might play depending on the email client you use.

You may be able to turn off playing videos in your email, but I believe it is on by default in Apple Mail and Outlook.com.

You beat me to it. I also work in Marketing Automation. The agency likely didn't test the email fully, or maybe they did and were over the proverbial barrel with the client so they let it go.

Our clients simply don't want to hear that content in the body of the email won't affect open rates. The Open Rate levers are Subject Line and Preheader Text. But A/B testing on subject lines by following a plan and a strategy just doesn't sizzle like "Let's embed a video!"

Nice to meet you, fellow email marketer :)

They usually are vaguely thinking of engagement, but only look at open rates, and don't really know the difference. And they see something new and shiny and want to try it.

Celebrity already has an engaged audience. Many of us look forward to their promotional email and read each and every one, and very often click through. Doing too much of this kind of thing won't increase engagement and just might cause engagement to drop.

I usually don't admit what I do in public because most people think of spam, and not the newsletter they get from their trainer, or the email they are "engaged" with from vendors like Celebrity.

I guess none of you get it

The link automatically played in my email

I don't mind "junk" email but this is too much

Not cool. :mad:

No, YOU don't get it....your settings are set to play the clip automatically!

Get over it and book a cruise! :)

Edited by Arzeena