Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Newark Airport

ringopoppy

Does anyone have suggestions for the best transport option to get to Newark Airport after disembarking at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal? Need a shuttle or taxi as husband not able to manage public transport with luggage. Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Date is October 15th 2016.

Does anyone have suggestions for the best transport option to get to Newark Airport after disembarking at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal? Need a shuttle or taxi as husband not able to manage public transport with luggage. Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Date is October 15th 2016.

Book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. There are online coupons. They should quote you a base fare plus tolls. Figure 18-20% of the base fare for a tip. Tolls will be a up to a $15 NY-NJ tunnel toll plus $4 in NJ Turnpike tolls plus a possible $6-8 tunnel toll from Brooklyn to Manhattan.

Do not take a NYC taxi. The NYC taxi regulations no longer apply and they can basically charge you whatever they want.

A trip to EWR is the one instance where the taxi fare from NY City to NJ is regulated. The fare is the normal metered amount plus a $17.50 surcharge plus round trip tolls. A tip of 15 to 20% would be customary.

That having been said, my inclination would be to book a car service because you'll be quoted a flat rate (plus tolls and tip) and not have to worry about the meter rolling up the fare if you're stuck in traffic.

Any idea what the final cost is? Also, I have an 11am flight on a Saturday in October. Hoping if we have priority disembarkation, we can make it.

Get a quote from Dial7 or Carmellimo. You need a base rate plus estimated tolls. Add 18-20% tip to the base rate and you have your estimate. Tolls should be in the $20-25 range using the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (Hugh Carey Tunnel) and the Holland Tunnel. NJ Turnpike would add a few more dollars.

You need to get yourselves off the ship early and have transportation waiting. Arrival sat EWR should be targeted for between 9 and 9:30.

Any idea what the final cost is? Also, I have an 11am flight on a Saturday in October. Hoping if we have priority disembarkation, we can make it.

Priority disembarkation is great IF your ship is on time and/or early (?? time) and you can exit immigration/custom quickly, etc. More on this below.

Sure, from Carmel's online site (free, mobile app bookings do not get the extra coupon discount - FYI) - about $75 base fare for a deluxe/luxury 4 door sedan, $68 if a standard sedan is available or $78 for a minivan). If you are in a hurry to catch that 11 AM or even 12 or 12:30 PM departure out of EWR, you'll likely take the fastest route with extra tolls as needed.

Between base fare & tolls, plan on at least $100 for this one-way trip, travel time of 45 to 60 minutes, depending on weather & road/bridge/tunnel conditions on a typical, normal lighter traffic morning on the weekend (add 15 to 30 extra minutes, just in case) - otherwise - if using Carmel. Dial7 fares are typically higher by $5 to $10 when I last priced them out, YMMV.

I would pre-book a car service but call them upon confirmation, and ask/let them know you would call for a more precise pickup time & arrange the location on the day of disembarkation - so that they can pre-arrange for car/driver nearby - unlike Manhattan cruise terminal or airports, where they tend to have more "available" cars & drivers on standby most of the time - from their fleet of 600 to 700 vehicles. If you wait to book on short notice, you could be subject to a much longer wait time and/or told nothing available for 60+ minutes ... not good if you have a tight ground connection to the airport to catch up.

VZ Bridge toll is one-way collected outbound coming from Brooklyn ($16 cash, $11.08 using EZ-Pass) vs. the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel ($15 cash toll at all times, $12.50 EZ-Pass peak time) into Manhattan, up the West Side Hwy to Canal St. to Holland Tunnel (toll, east-bound into NYC only; but you might still be charged for car/driver's "empty" return with no pax/fares) & $4 for the Turnpike toll.

The toll portion alone can varied widely, anywhere from $24 to $28, to $35 or even higher if the driver/car service is collecting the full round-trip fares on cash basis, not using the EZ-Pass rates in the calculations. Yellow taxis are required to give the EZP discount but collecting round-trip plus the surcharges - so it's a no-win situation for riders. Not a fan or user of Uber or Lyft so I don't know what & how they charge their shared-riders on tolls. More on this - http://nypost.com/2015/06/01/suit-calls-out-car-service-pocketing-e-zpass-discounts/

TSA staffing and security screening on weekends at EWR can be rather slow sometimes, and it doesn't always help even if you have Pre-Check ... that is, if those dedicated lanes are open & staffed. For domestic flights, it's best to plan to arrive at least 90 minutes to 2 hours before scheduled departure, even if doing just carry-on luggage (okay, seasoned flyers can do "t" minus 60 minutes) - so, ideally, you need/should be at EWR's terminal/check-in no later than 9:30 AM or 9 AM if you are cautious, 10 AM if you are elite flyer & not worried about missing the departure & can get rebooked or fly home on a later flight)

As long as you are in the car service with all your luggage & leaving the BCT area by 8 to 8:30 AM - you are "relatively" safe in making your flight ... anything happened somewhere on your routing and all bets are off.

Personally, I would book a later flight - relax & take it easy getting off the ship and to the airport ... something like a 1 PM or 2 PM departure. Yeah, I know, fares vary widely & typically higher for the afternoon and fewer choices on Saturday.

A trip to EWR is the one instance where the taxi fare from NY City to NJ is regulated. The fare is the normal metered amount plus a $17.50 surcharge plus round trip tolls. A tip of 15 to 20% would be customary.

That having been said, my inclination would be to book a car service because you'll be quoted a flat rate (plus tolls and tip) and not have to worry about the meter rolling up the fare if you're stuck in traffic.

Nice tip!

Although we have used a car service several times to get from EWR to Brooklyn, in October we will be going from the pier to EWR for the first time.

Cunard offers a transfer service for US$40 pp (or Canadian$48 - a good deal!) so we are taking this for the first time. I believe most cruise lines offer transfers to the three New York area airports. It is only for convenience that we have booked the transfer, not to save a small amount over a car service.

Although we have used a car service several times to get from EWR to Brooklyn, in October we will be going from the pier to EWR for the first time.

Cunard offers a transfer service for US$40 pp (or Canadian$48 - a good deal!) so we are taking this for the first time. I believe most cruise lines offer transfers to the three New York area airports. It is only for convenience that we have booked the transfer, not to save a small amount over a car service.

We also find cruise transfers more convenient. Princess is charging US$29 pp from Brooklyn to EWR for Oct.

We also find cruise transfers more convenient. Princess is charging US$29 pp from Brooklyn to EWR for Oct.

I don't think any cruise line is going to offer transfers from Brooklyn to EWR for a flight that departs at 11 am, which is the flight time one of the recent posters has. I suspect the earliest flight they will offer transfers for will be at about 1 pm.