Age groups in Princess kids clubs

dogsambam

Our son will be 3 months shy of 8 when we cruise on the Royal in December. Our daughter will be 11. The kids really like to be together In kids club. Does Princess offer an exception to allow our 7 year old into the 8-12 group. the kids would be come comfortable being together.

On our Panama Canal cruise, there were only 11 children on board since the trip was scheduled during the school year. All of the children (including my 2 year old son) played together in one room. If you are sailing during school holidays or on a popular destination with families (like Alaska), their kids club will be more full and much more structured. You can also post this question on the family forum, and may get more answers from people about what their experience was like in the past. Those answers are helpful, but ultimately it is up to the kids club staff's discretion as to whether or not they will accommodate your request. If it is absolutely crucial that the kids be allowed in the same group, you need to sail a line like Disney that doesn't segregate by age or one where those two ages are combined (although I honestly don't know if this combination exists). One of the saddest reviews I read was one in which all of the kids refused to attend the kids club at all because they were assigned to different groups than their cousins and the cruise line would not move anyone; all of the parents were stuck watching their kids the whole trip and everyone had a miserable time.

Assuming your kids would just be happier together and it isn't as crucial to your trip that this accommodation be granted, there is no harm in politely requesting on the first night that your son please be put in the same age group with his sister. I'd recommend asking the counselors privately, since the counselors aren't going to want to move a lot of kids. Hopefully, they will accommodate you but there are no guarantees. Have a great trip!

I have it in mind (not sure if I've seen it written officially or on a thread) that children can go 'down' an age group but not up. Having said that, I'd imagine that there might be less movement if it's full.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were also informed of the policy that a kid can move down but not up in the programming ages.

As others noted, there might be more flexibility if there are fewer kids on board.

My personal experience (on Disney) is that when they allowed younger kids into an older kid program, it had a negative influence on the program. I know, it's easy to see it as "only three months," but the 12 year olds in the program see it as "we don't want to go because they let a bunch of little kids in." And then you have the parents of the 12s wanting to get their kids into the teen program since the 12s are refusing to go to their assigned program.

Obviously, if the kids need to be together, the 11 year old is welcome in the younger program.

Just to add one more data point... I have a 15 year old daughter and a 12 year old son who would much prefer to be together (plus the activities in the "teen" area aren't do my daughter's liking). I talked to someone at Princess (on the phone) and they said it shouldn't be a problem for her to hang out in the younger group. I doubt my son would be allowed in the teen group, though.

We were also informed of the policy that a kid can move down but not up in the programming ages.

As others noted' date=' there might be more flexibility if there are fewer kids on board.

My personal experience (on Disney) is that when they allowed younger kids into an older kid program, it had a negative influence on the program. I know, it's easy to see it as "only three months," but the 12 year olds in the program see it as "we don't want to go because they let a bunch of little kids in." And then you have the parents of the 12s wanting to get their kids into the teen program since the 12s are refusing to go to their assigned program.

Obviously, if the kids need to be together, the 11 year old is welcome in the younger program.[/quote']

and more: the staff is hired based on the number of kids in each age grouping and if so,e kids get moved, you can get bet many parents will be insisting theirs get moved too.

Our son will be 3 months shy of 8 when we cruise on the Royal in December. Our daughter will be 11. The kids really like to be together In kids club. Does Princess offer an exception to allow our 7 year old into the 8-12 group. the kids would be come comfortable being together.

No they don't.

My daughter is 18 and started cruising at 4, she has attended every age group that princess has to offer ( 3 ) , at some stages of cruising when just past the age of that group she moved down, however you are never allowed to move up.

No - to moving up unless very few kids are onboard and Princess combines the groups as they did a few times on a 26-day transatlantic I did with DD. I don't think it's a problem if your daughter moves down to join her brother, though. Just ask Princess (kid club manager) the day you embark. Have a great trip!

My daughter is 18 and started cruising at 4, she has attended every age group that princess has to offer ( 3 ) , at some stages of cruising when just past the age of that group she moved down, however you are never allowed to move up.

And this is by far the best policy I've seen on any line.

I have known that sometimes in the past they have combined age groups if the child quota is not full for each group. They often do that on the P&O. On embarkation you should get forms to fill in and opportunity to speak to them.

Might be an insurance issue. Which club are they allowed to check themselves out?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The 8-12 (Shockwaves) allows kids to check themselves in and/or out with written parental consent (forms are available in the kids camp). The teen center does not require consent.

We have pre registered our children for the clubs for our upcoming trip. The eldest- 14 - is allowed to sign his younger brother (11) out with our permission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you'll find that your 11 year old can sign himself in and out of kids club (with your written permission), but the only other people that can sign him out are family members over the age of 18 who have been nominated by you.

Trish

It is not a definite no for going up...as some have said, it depends on how many other kids are on the ship and the staff on duty. Last April, my DS was 12 years 9 months for our cruise on the Star Princess (not during spring break). When we went in to tour the club, they took him on a tour of both shockwaves and the teen club. They asked him what he thought and he said that he liked the teen club better. The counselor said that if he wanted to go to the teen club it was fine, AS LONG AS we were ok with him checking himself out of the club (which we were). So, he was able to enjoy the teen club.

A possible issue for your children is the signing out restriction. 8-12 year olds may sign themselves out with your permission. 7 and under may not sign themselves out. Depending on that, the amount of other kids on board, and the staff you may be able to get your son moved up. Either way, the kid's clubs on Princess are great and your kids will have lots to keep them busy!