Back-to-back transition day experience/Civitavecchia

Okay, in all of our cruising, we've never taken a true "back-to-back"...We've taken consecutive cruises on different ships...but never stayed on the SAME ship for two consecutive cruises.

Next June/July, for the first time, we will be sailing on two back-to-back cruises on the Jewel of the Seas--with both cruises starting and ending in Civitavecchia. Of course, both are completely different itineraries--one Western Med, the second Greece. Both are 7-night cruises--far too short to just do one, IMHO--so, we booked two. We did book very early and managed to nail down the same great midship balcony cabin for each.

Of course, I know that things change from time-to-time and the experience may differ in different ports due to local regulations...But, perhaps someone who has done this recently...and maybe someone who has done this in Civitavecchia...can describe the experience for me.

I take it there is no reason to pack or move things around--that the cabin steward service is just like on any day during the cruise, correct?

During the last morning of a cruise, the ship is sort of a zoo...everyone hanging around waiting for their exit. Is there any special accommodation made for those on a back-to back? What services are provided?

Are we forced to leave the ship and return at some later time? If so, by when...and when? Any hassles while disembarking...like lines or passport checks? Is lunch served somewhere that day or are we stuck going to the buffet?

Will our cruise cards be "good" for both cruises or do we have to check in again and get another card issued?

Also, will we likely end up with seven repeats of the same shows from the first cruise? Seven repeats of the Dinner menus? Anything else we should know?

I am guessing that, with this ship alternating the same two 7-night itineraries all summer, there will be a LOT of people doing exactly what we are doing...

Thanks, all...

I don't think you need to leave the ship and return as you aren't in the US. You are kept onboard and given your new seapass.

They will have a short meeting the day before for the B2B and in the morning of departure after all non b2b you will be given a new sea pass and get back on. Depending on port ( we were in Barcelona and went to the port desk to reregister before returning to ship) you may just go back on after showing new card and get a lunch. Sometimes it is in MDR or Jamie's. We got Giovanni's on Allure last TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different ships do it different ways, but using my experience of several b2b's, this is what I think will happen.

As said, you might have a meeting to sort out changeover formalities, but I have been on ships where you just get your new seapass card on the last night left on your bed at evening turn down. You shouldn't have to do the 'off and on again' shuffle as you are in Civ and not at a US port. Don't forget to check the account of your first cruise on the last night like you would normally...they are treated as two totally separate cruises. If you are happy to do it, tell your steward not to bother doing the big changeover day clean on b2b day and do it the next day...they will be grateful of the extra time. You can get off the ship and go and sightsee or stay on the ship and have it to yourself for a few hours...always a nice experience! Turnaround is always the day to have breakfast in the MDR. All the other places will be a zoo (as you said). If there are enough b2b ers on the ship you might get a lunch in one of the restaurants. This has only happened to us once when there were about 25 of us on the Oasis. You will almost certainly have the same 7 day menu in the MDR, but I think this is good as you will know what you liked, and more importantly, what to avoid! Production shows will be the same, but you might have different 'speciality' acts...just depends.

I'll mention this just in case...if you want to do laundry:eek:, I can tell you where there is a laundromat 2 minutes walk from the port gates..just drop me an e mail. When we were in Civ, apart from the port bus that RCI charged you for, there was a free one the crew used, but you can use it too..which saves $10 each!

B2b's are great...hope you enjoy your first one.

Simon

http://www.aswesawit.com/civitavecchia-attractions/

This will a greg day to spend time in the port. The large statues on the beach front are petty cool. Most folks don't ever get to see them. Enjoy

We had to skip Rome one time, last minute plans and ended up strolling around town. WE had a lovely day.

Thank you for the link. Very informative. More there than what I thought would be. Looking at this for our B2B on the Harmony this Oct. Seen all the majors in Rome so am looking at the turn around day without wasting it on the ship.:):D

We did B2B on Mariner out of Civitavecchia in 2011, keeping same cabin.

We told our room steward not to bother with us on change over day - just bring ice and forget the rest.

At some stage we got new seapass cards but we did not have to leave the ship at all.

There were quite a few onboard doing B2B so RCL laid on a nice lunch for us :)

I was descending in an elevator and one guy looked at me and laughingly said "I hate you, you're not leaving are you?"

Have a great time...

Okay, in all of our cruising, we've never taken a true "back-to-back"...We've taken consecutive cruises on different ships...but never stayed on the SAME ship for two consecutive cruises.

Next June/July, for the first time, we will be sailing on two back-to-back cruises on the Jewel of the Seas--with both cruises starting and ending in Civitavecchia. Of course, both are completely different itineraries--one Western Med, the second Greece. Both are 7-night cruises--far too short to just do one, IMHO--so, we booked two. We did book very early and managed to nail down the same great midship balcony cabin for each.

Of course, I know that things change from time-to-time and the experience may differ in different ports due to local regulations...But, perhaps someone who has done this recently...and maybe someone who has done this in Civitavecchia...can describe the experience for me.

I take it there is no reason to pack or move things around--that the cabin steward service is just like on any day during the cruise, correct?

During the last morning of a cruise, the ship is sort of a zoo...everyone hanging around waiting for their exit. Is there any special accommodation made for those on a back-to back? What services are provided?

Are we forced to leave the ship and return at some later time? If so, by when...and when? Any hassles while disembarking...like lines or passport checks? Is lunch served somewhere that day or are we stuck going to the buffet?

Will our cruise cards be "good" for both cruises or do we have to check in again and get another card issued?

Also, will we likely end up with seven repeats of the same shows from the first cruise? Seven repeats of the Dinner menus? Anything else we should know?

I am guessing that, with this ship alternating the same two 7-night itineraries all summer, there will be a LOT of people doing exactly what we are doing...

Thanks, all...

Friends did a great cooking class in Civitavecchia. Perhaps you would like to do this on turnaround day: (unless you want to spend a lot of time traveling back and forth into Rome on the train)

I think that it was this one:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g194743-d1538775-Reviews-Aqua-Civitavecchia_Province_of_Rome_Lazio.html

When doing consecutive cruises, each cruise is independent of the other and each cruise is treated separately.

At the end of your first cruise your account will be closed, your SeaPass will ding out and, after doing that, that cruise is essentially closed. You will get a new SeaPass Card, you will ding in with it and that will set up your account for your following cruise.

There is no carry over of unused OBC from Cruise 1 to Cruise 2.