A Grand time in Alaska!

karatemom2

It's been too long since I've cruised so I was really looking forward to returning to the Grand and the wonderful 10 day Alaska cruise from San Francisco and it didn't disappoint. We just returned from the July 20 cruise and overall it was a wonderful vacation. The Grand is as lovely as I remember but definitely in need of some polishing up here and there which I'm sure she will get on her upcoming drydock. We had two adjoining balcony cabins on the forward section of Baja and they proved to be an excellent location for whale and scenery watching. We saw so many whales beginning with our departure from San Francisco where we enjoyed whale watching right from our dining table in Da Vinci which was a four top right next to the window. Best table we have ever had!! Overall the food was terrific, our waiters were superb and our room steward was one of the best we have had on any of our cruises.

I really can't say enough about the wonderful crew - they were awesome! I can't comment much on the entertainment as we didn't go to any of the production shows - we have seen them all multiple times before. I did enjoy a couple of the comedians, piano performer and magician. The cruise entertainment staff was not the most memorable which was probably the only disappointing thing I can pick on about the cruise. There was one young man who was really excellent, but sadly underused. The rest were just OK. We really enjoy Trivia generally, but the Trivias were pretty lackluster and very little variety or special theme Trivias that we have enjoyed on other Princess cruises. The activities were pretty lacking or just downright poorly executed or planned - like scheduling the Princess Pop Star finale at 5:15 the last evening. That is something we usually enjoy attending, but we certainly weren't going to miss our final dinner for it. And don't even get me started on the one young lady on the cruise staff who thought it might be funny to joke about 9/11 and Osama Bin Laden during a Trivia session. The response in the room was literally visceral. I still regret that I personally did not go up and speak to her afterwards to express my feelings, but I was too angry and shocked. I have to believe much of this might have been due to the fact the CD we had was just filling in for the regular CD who actually returned from his vacation just one day before the cruise ended. He seemed much more personable and engaging. But the cruise staff doesn't make or break a cruise fortunately - it's just that we know how much a really good staff can do to add to the experience and that just wasn't there this time.

Alaska was as beautiful and amazing as always, despite the cool, rainy weather in a couple of ports. It really didn't slow us down much except for perhaps limiting my DH in his fishing options which disappointed him a bit. But despite that he still managed to catch some salmon off the dock in Juneau near the hatchery. In Ketchikan we had our traditional breakfast at Cape Fox lodge of sourdough pancakes and reindeer sausage followed by a bit of unsuccessful fishing at the Creek Street Bridge. DD and I did tour Dolly's House for the first time while the boys were fishing and that was fun. But the real highlight of the day was our ziplining experience. The boys headed back to the ship, but being the adventurous spirits we are DD and I signed up for our very first ziplining experience - which also ended up being in the rain. We were pretty nervous but it was so fun - worth every wet second! What a beautiful and exhilarating experience! The rain made everything even more green and lovely. I can't wait to zipline again somewhere! In Juneau we rented a car from Avis and just spent the day exploring - first a stop at Mendenhall Glacier and then out to Eagle Beach for fishing and wildlife viewing. No fish or bears, but definitely lots of Eagles and gorgeous scenery. Back in town DH finally had fishing success at the dock as I mentioned, but by that time the rain was literally pouring down and blowing sideways from the wind so DD and I ran for the car. My men were soaked and cold so decided to head back to the ship, but once again being the committed (or perhaps needing to be committed :D) personalities we are my DD and I soldiered on. Did I mention we are adventurous or perhaps a little crazy? We ended up on the winding narrow road over bridges and gravel road up to the Last Chance Mining Museum which requires a fairly steep hike up a hill for a visit. Well we made it up and were rewarded by this small but interesting little gem of a history museum as well as absolutely amazing views of waterfalls and rushing stream at the bridge. We started to venture a ways down the Perseverance Trail there but decided we had enough adventure for one day and headed back down the mountain for some hot chocolate and shopping therapy!

In Skagway we decided to go a little more low key and did a couple of ship excursions - one to enjoy sled dogs, puppies and gold panning and the other to the Days of 98 show in town which we have seen before but always enjoy. Oh and lots more shopping and museum visits as well as a stop for the very fun and informative tour at the Red Onion Saloon! On our scenic cruising day we ended up in Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm which was just fine with me as we got all the way to Dawes Glacier which is so blue and gorgeous. It was a very nice change of pace and we ended the day with some incredible whale watching right from our balcony. Finally on our last port day in Victoria we ventured out on our own again with a taxi first thing to Murchies - a little spot of heaven on Government St. - for tea, hot chocolate, muffins, cinnamon roles and scones. Then we took a taxi to Craigdorroch Castle and managed to arrive right at opening before the hoards of people from the cruise ship tours showed up so we enjoyed a nice uncrowded tour and finished up to leave just as the tours were arriving. I'm so glad we did it on our own and not through the ship! Then it was back to town to stroll through lovely Victoria and do more shopping as well as make a mandatory stop at Munroe's Bookstore and back to Murchies for one last treat before heading back to the ship. I do love Victoria and wish we had a longer day there. My daughter and I eased the pain with our second spa visit for massages. The spa staff was just wonderful and no sales pitch anymore which was so nice. It actually had a big influence on my decision to book a second spa treatment on this cruise so a very wise move Princess!

Ten days really does fly by when you are having fun in Alaska! So we wrapped up our trip with a relaxing sea day and said a sad farewell to another great Princess cruise. Until next time! :)

Edited by karatemom2

thanks for posting your review. Is Endicott Arm part of the same Tracy Arm sailing or does the ship go in from a different entrance?

As I understand it Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm are two different arms branching off of the same entrance area. The Sawyer Glacier is at the end of Tracy arm and the Dawes Glacier is at the end of Endicott. We have been down the Tracy arm route several times and have never been able to get very close to the glacier there due to the ice conditions. I guess this season the ice has made access even less optimal so Endicott is the alternative which pleased me immensely as the Dawes Glacier is one of the most beautiful I have seen with rich blue hues. Just gorgeous! And still a nice amount of ice flow in front where we saw mama and baby seals. We were able to get much closer and were blessed with some very impressive ice calving. So I would happily go to Endicott any time under these conditions. The scenery along the way in and out was gorgeous as well.

Do you know who the current CD is?

The CD who just returned from vacation at the end of our cruise is Daniel Falconer. He took over from Adam Love who was the CD filling in while Daniel was on vacation getting married as I understand it.

The CD who just returned from vacation at the end of our cruise is Daniel Falconer. He took over from Adam Love who was the CD filling in while Daniel was on vacation getting married as I understand it.

Thanks karatemom. We may be sailing on her soon. I think the CD and the staff make a difference in the cruise experience. The last CD we had was Kelvin Joy and we had a great cruise. Hopefully, Daniel does a fine job also.:)

Karatemom2, can you share more about renting your car in Juneau? Are they walking distance from the pier? If not, how did you get there, taxi or ?? We will be there May 2017 and want to rent a car. Sounds like a great time you had, love those 10 days out of San Fransico!

Karatemom2, can you share more about renting your car in Juneau? Are they walking distance from the pier? If not, how did you get there, taxi or ?? We will be there May 2017 and want to rent a car. Sounds like a great time you had, love those 10 days out of San Fransico!

We rented from Avis which is located at the Rivergold Hotel in Juneau. We were docked at the furthest dock from town and ended up walking because we couldn't seem to find a taxi willing to take us such a short distance when we got off the ship. It was a long walk, but very doable - about 15 minutes. When we dropped the car off that evening the front desk at the hotel was nice enough to call a taxi for my daughter and I as we were tired from a long day and really not wanting to make the long walk back. It all worked out very well.

Could you tell me more about the fishing your husband did on Creek Street? Did you rent gear somewhere or bring your own? My daughter would really like to do some fishing, but not out on a boat. Thanks :)

On our scenic cruising day we ended up in Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm which was just fine with me as we got all the way to Dawes Glacier which is so blue and gorgeous. It was a very nice change of pace and we ended the day with some incredible whale watching right from our balcony.

Question: When I check through the generic it doesn't apply to our itinerary. Same with most reviews. I am doing this same cruise next year. I want to know if they offered the excursion to take a boat off the

ship and get up close and personal with the glaciers. Apologies for not know the exact info and I'm too tired to re-look it up (4 kids for 2 weeks and we are only on day :eek: 3! Are you kidding me). It is going to be a long wonderful two weeks LOL.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out if this particular itinerary offers this excursion. Most end in a port but since our next port is Victoria I suspect that ain't gonna happen :D. I so want to do it but not being able to do it changes my choices in the previous ports.

As I understand it Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm are two different arms branching off of the same entrance area. The Sawyer Glacier is at the end of Tracy arm and the Dawes Glacier is at the end of Endicott. We have been down the Tracy arm route several times and have never been able to get very close to the glacier there due to the ice conditions. I guess this season the ice has made access even less optimal so Endicott is the alternative which pleased me immensely as the Dawes Glacier is one of the most beautiful I have seen with rich blue hues. Just gorgeous! And still a nice amount of ice flow in front where we saw mama and baby seals. We were able to get much closer and were blessed with some very impressive ice calving. So I would happily go to Endicott any time under these conditions. The scenery along the way in and out was gorgeous as well.

Thanks for the differentiation.

Notentirelynormal, from what I have read on different Princess threads; not all Princess ships do the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm. It is certain ships and certain itineraries. When you look at your itinerary and it lists excursions for Tracy Arms, then you will be able to book it, if it only lists Juneau, then your itinerary does not have the small boat option.

We rented from Avis which is located at the Rivergold Hotel in Juneau. We were docked at the furthest dock from town and ended up walking because we couldn't seem to find a taxi willing to take us such a short distance when we got off the ship. It was a long walk, but very doable - about 15 minutes. When we dropped the car off that evening the front desk at the hotel was nice enough to call a taxi for my daughter and I as we were tired from a long day and really not wanting to make the long walk back. It all worked out very well.

Thank you for the info! Very helpful.

Could you tell me more about the fishing your husband did on Creek Street? Did you rent gear somewhere or bring your own? My daughter would really like to do some fishing, but not out on a boat. Thanks :)

We brought our own gear but we have rented there in the past. You can rent rods and tackle and purchase fishing licenses at Dolly's House on Creek Street. If you want to bring your own gear you can purchase lightweight spinning rods that break into two pieces for easier transport at places like Walmart. My DH likes to bring his own so he can fish in multiple ports if the opportunity arises. Another very good spot to fish is at the dock next the the Macaulay Fish Hatchery in Juneau. We get the fishing licenses online in advance - it is super easy. A one day license is $20 and 3 day is $35. Hope that helps!

Anyway, I am trying to figure out if this particular itinerary offers this excursion. Most end in a port but since our next port is Victoria I suspect that ain't gonna happen :D. I so want to do it but not being able to do it changes my choices in the previous ports.

This was not an option on our itinerary. However, if your hours in Juneau permit you could do the small boat Tracy Arm excursion through Adventure Bound. We have done it twice and it is amazing. It really is a completely different experience on a small boat. It is long excursion but so worth it if you get into Juneau early enough to make it. Here is a link to their web site: http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/

I know there were a couple of ziplining options in Ketchikan. Which one did you do? I am booked on the Rainforest Canopy and Zipline Adventure. This will be my third time zipping, but first in Alaska. I can't wait.

I know there were a couple of ziplining options in Ketchikan. Which one did you do? I am booked on the Rainforest Canopy and Zipline Adventure. This will be my third time zipping, but first in Alaska. I can't wait.

We were booked with the same company but on their Bear Creek Ziplining course which features 7 zip lines, tree canopies, ladder and rappelling from the last tree. It is a little more low key than the course for which you are booked which I believe has 8 zip lines and several suspension bridges. Since this was our first time we opted for the slightly less challenging course but next time we will for sure go with the one you are doing. It looked amazing!!