Rhapsody Mediterranean review including compasses, photos, and more

My pleasure everyone- the info on this 10 day was a bit limited so I hope this has helped.

Thanks to the mods for changing the title of this thread. The title was in future tense and my review is now in past tense. It was driving me crazy.

For those of you about to board- you are in for a real treat :). Here are a few more random photos

First up- the pool towel guys wrote down the time you left your lounge chair on a post it and stick it to the chair (see photo below). Not sure what happened after that, but it seemed to keep people more honest :).

00cf604a1d85d5d84dfea55001ec0e41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but I don't like this plan at all :(. I think you can get off the ship by 8 if nothing at all goes wrong. We docked closer to 5:00 a.m. and first call off the ship was right around 8:00ish so that fits.

However, getting from the ship to Mestra in 30 minutes is going to be challenging. I didn't notice how close the cabs can get to the ship, hopefully someone can answer that. But, if there is no cab pick up immediately at the terminal and you are forced to take the people mover to Plz Roma I do not think 30 minutes is anywhere near enough time. The people mover can get totally jammed. I'm normally a risk taker, and I wouldn't do this one. I highly recommend a plan B if you can't change your first plan. I do wish you luck though!!

PS: Our table mates paid to 'stick around' on the last day. They didn't need to leave the ship until 3:00 p.m. They had full use of the ship, including pools, bars, etc.. Maybe that is an option if the second train to Milan isn't until the early evening? Let me know what you decide please :)

Thanks for this. I'm going to try my best. The next train from Mestre leaves around 9:30 and it connects in Bologna.

Thanks for this. I'm going to try my best. The next train from Mestre leaves around 9:30 and it connects in Bologna.

That sounds like a pretty painless plan B. If you don't make the first train, just hop on the 9:30. I feel better :). Did you check to see how many ships are in port your day? That will also make a big difference. This is one of the sights I use, but they are often wrong/incomplete so I check with several.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-venice-italy.html

BB :)

Thank you for the info you have posted. So looking forward to our trip in Sept. We are first time cruisers so have a lot of questions and I like to be prepared when we travel. Wondering about the drink packages. We received Select Drink Packages as a promotion at booking as well as prepaid gratuities. Wondering about the statement that '18% gratuity will be added to each check' Does that mean that they add a gratuity to your ship account each time you get a drink on your package? Also, does anyone know about the prepaid gratuities? I read somewhere that when you prepay them they give you 'vouchers' at the end of the cruise to hand back. Would appreciate any info about this. Thank you

Thank you for the info you have posted. So looking forward to our trip in Sept. We are first time cruisers so have a lot of questions and I like to be prepared when we travel. Wondering about the drink packages. We received Select Drink Packages as a promotion at booking as well as prepaid gratuities. Wondering about the statement that '18% gratuity will be added to each check' Does that mean that they add a gratuity to your ship account each time you get a drink on your package? Also, does anyone know about the prepaid gratuities? I read somewhere that when you prepay them they give you 'vouchers' at the end of the cruise to hand back. Would appreciate any info about this. Thank you

No vouchers to give out, the staff will know you have prepaid your grats.

Hello, we are booked on the 11 Night Cruise with just a slightly different itinerary. Booked the RCI Shore Excursion 'Taste of Athens' 7 hr tour. Wondering if you took any of the RCI excursions and what your comments are. Thanks! :)

Hello Happy, we didn't do any ship excursions as they really aren't necessary for this itininary. In Athens, we spent $1.80 Euro to use the X80 bus that took us directly from the port to the Acropolis. We were at the Acropolis before it opened at 8:00. Had out tickets ($20 Euro each) and were at the top of the Acropolis by 8:30 LONG before any of the crowds got there. From there we went to Acropolis Museum (directly at the bottom of the hill) and $5.00 tickets.

The X80 also goes to the Planka where we watched changing of the guards. We did an entire day in Athens for less than $25 pp and it was fabulous. The other great way to do Athens is the HOHO bus. That is $15-25 per person (depending on the color bus you choose). In all honesty, I'd probably select that next time just because it covers more territory. The X80 only has 3 stops: Port-Acropolis-Planka and back, so it truly is express.

Hope that helps! Don't be afraid to do this on your own, it's super easy and I'd be more than happy to give more specifics.

In Mykonos we hired a boat and spent the day sailing/snorkeling. $100 Euro per person.

In Kotor and Zadar we hire a private driver and had a much more authentic experience. Kotor was $135 for both of us and Zadar was $160. Again much more economical than ship tours and in my opinion, you take away much more information and a better feel for the country.

Let me know if I can help any more :)

Thanks for your review :-)

As you will appreciate we are approaching our trip with a little trepidation given our April trip, but you have reassured us that the Rhapsody is a lovely ship, and we are looking forward to our departure even more now.

Thanks for the Fab review ..Can I ask did you see may port duty free shops ...also are you limited to how may cigarettes and duty free spirits you can leave the ship with (when I was on my last cruise I arrived in Cyprus and we could only have 200 cigarettes as customs checked our bags when leaving port ..Thanks .

Thank you for your review. I found your sense of humor a refreshing touch to the info you provided. I laughed out loud several times.

I sailed the Rhapsody in 2011 for a Hawaiian cruise. I absolutely loved the ship and her crew -- back then Rick Sullivan was the captain. He was the most interactive and visible captain on any cruise I've been on. Rhapsody is my favorite ship. Truly a memorable crew.

Thank you so much for your review of Rhapsody! We are booked in 2017 and can't wait! Can you tell me if they still offered the package where for $50 per person you can have a meal at Izumi, Chops and Giovanni's? I read about it here on the Rhapsody CC info page, but don't know if it's up to date info. Thank you!

Sorry Virtopia, I'm a Downey wrinkle release girl. Hope you have a wonderful trip :).

Hi Ruthie! So you decided to go with the rhapsody again?? I think you'll be just fine. Did you book higher than floor 3 :). End up with a similar itinerary? When do you leave?

Kandyfloss, I don't recall many duty free shops other than Corfu, but they must have been there without me knowing. Zadar was our VAT free stop, and I can say with certainty that there were no duty free shops at that port as it is rather concrete.

Hucifer: Isn't it amazing how ships have different personalities? I really felt at home on the rhapsody. She's a good karma ship in spite of being haunted ;).

Dancernl: There were meal packages for sure but I think they are a bit more expensive. I have a sailing on the Anthem booked, so I'll look for you next time I log into my rcl account.

Welcome home iamchops! look forward to your review. Love differing opinions.

glilis: I'll post a few more pics below to get you excited :)

Easy tender in Kotor- we were only ship in port- this is a GRaeAT stop!

3d790f641f82fcf548fd23e5fd7a563f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This photo is beautiful! Out of the 6 port stops on our itinerary, I think we are most excited for Kotor!

Thanks for the response about dinner packages! I think we would book one for even $75pp but any more than that and we'll probably just do one dinner and one lunch somewhere.

Hi Bermudabound ,Thanks for your review and info on your recent cruise ,thoroughly enjoyed it .We leave Venice on the 26 th on the Rhapsody ,a different itinery but some really useful info on the ship.

great stuff and must try that ice cream!