Is your passport taken away once you board the ship?

OM234

First of all, yes, there are many itineraries on which they will take your passport and not return it until the end of the cruise or until after certain ports. (none of those itineraries are in the Caribbean, or in North America)

It is for reasons of expediting immigration procedures. If the ship has everyone's passports, then ship's staff can handle the local immigration officers who come on board for that purpose. The alternative is having EVERYONE line up every time you hit a new country. Yuck.

The first time I had to do it, I was uncomfortable, but understood the reason once explained to me.

:)

Funny story:

On the infamous Mariner of the Seas Around the Horn cruise (Gigi: are you reading this? DRINK UP! ;) ), they took everyone's passport at check-in, and gave a receipt.

I, however, did not know this, because they didn't take mine. I didn't see them doing this. I just checked in, got my passport back, and boarded the ship, going my merry way.

Several days later, some of us were drinking and chatting, and someone mentioned the passport thing.

I said, "What? No one took my passport. It's in my cabin safe."

So I skipped up to Deck 9, got my passport, and took it down to Guest Services.

I got SUCH a blank look when I tried to turn it in. She had to call the GS Manager, who accepted the passport without much ado, and without questioning me at all. (nor did I get a receipt, but that didn't matter. I got my passport back at the end anyway)

How do you get your passport back? Do they set them out like the photos and you have to scan two thousand of them to find yours?

How do you get your passport back? Do they set them out like the photos and you have to scan two thousand of them to find yours?
IME They are kept under control of ship personnel, not just out for everyone to paw through. I have encountered both alphabetically sorted and more commonly stored by stateroom number. There have been multiple desks with different blocks at different desks (eg: Deck 6). The ship personnel asks for your cabin number, find the passport, flips it open to the photo and if it is you hands it over. Usually they will let you pick up for others in your stateroom, but no one else.

Thom

No it is not.

Complete misinformation.

We sailed Jewel, the same ship OP will be sailing, a few weeks ago. They took our passports when we boarded, and insisted it was their current procedure.

Midway through the cruise, they provided us with photocopies of our passports to carry along with us, but I would recommend making your own copies, or having scanned jpgs on your phone.

We were able to pick up the passports from guest relations after the last port, and there was a pickup table on the last sea day as well.

We absolutely needed to surrender our passports.

Our passport was taken on check in for our Dubai cruise.

I didn't have a particular issue with this but the handing back out was a bit chaotic with us all going to one of the lounges to collect on the last night. There was constant reminders over the PA system making sure that we had our correct passports which would say to me that people being given the wrong passports perhaps occurred often :confused:

Never heard of them being taken. Copies are always a good idea to take. Also leave a copy at home with someone who can get it to you if needed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've read many reviews of Med and Baltic cruises where passports were held by the cruise line. For US citizens they don't do so on closed loop cruises. Now I note the OP is Irish. Do they treat non-US citizens differently?

Yes - it depends on your itinerary. And just for the record, I don't think anyone is comfortable surrendering their passport but if it is required you really don't have much say in the matter. :o

I do. I won't go on a cruise that requires me to hand over my passport. Nope, not happening, so I choose not to cruise those itineraries.

I have seen some comments about passports being returned and making sure to get copy of passport as they are taken of you on cruises?

is this true? On Jewel of the Seas this Sunday August 7th 2016. not sure how comfortable i would be with someone else minding my passport? :confused:

The more you travel the more you'll need to get used to this...even hotels take your passports in certain countries(that is where I am the most uncomfortable).

Edited by land lover

I think it depends where you go.

There was a post on John Healds blog this year ( Carnival) that said that once the ship leaves the "EU" zone, then they are required to collect passport.

It was not the cruise ship requirement, it was the law.

So the answer is " it depends"

Not when leaving from a U.S. port and returning back to a U.S. port.

Sorry Renee, but you are wrong.......please read my original post below.

We did a B2B2B from LA around the horn to NYC. Our passports were taken in LA before embarking the ship and returned back to us in Barbados.........we had 3 sea days left to NYC. So pretty much Central and South America.

Don't assume that means I won't visit those particular places. There are other ways to travel to Europe, Australia, South America, etc.

then become very familiar with the rules, as in some countries when you check in a hotel, if you are not citizen of that country they might keep your passport,

then become very familiar with the rules, as in some countries when you check in a hotel, if you are not citizen of that country they might keep your passport,

Thank you. I'll make sure to keep that in mind and avoid those countries.

I am always uncomfortable surrendering my passport to cruise line personnel, but understand the reason why - so that immigration officials can come on-board for a free lunch and stamp the passports in assembly line fashion. That process doesn't make much sense to me since they are not matching the face on the passport to the passport holder - but I guess that's their problem. I suspect the free lunch on-board is the main reason.

I have never surrendered my passport to a hotel clerk. I have been asked for it, and I have refused. If they insist I dig out one of my photocopies and tell them they can hang onto that if they want. It's worked so far.

I do. I won't go on a cruise that requires me to hand over my passport. Nope, not happening, so I choose not to cruise those itineraries.

I think you might want to be prepared to have your travel plans disrupted at some point in the future. There is always a possibility of your having to hand over your passport to some travel entity. That is today's world, as has been mentioned. Good luck to you.

Usually the passport stay in the safe upon embarking. The only time that we needed the document was on our 1st 12 nite Mediterranean cruise on the Brilliance in 2017 out of Barcelona. One of the stops was Croatia and we needed the passport for inspection. The scary part was that while we were waiting in the bus to take us to town, soldiers with machine guns our passport. Remember, this was not long after the war/incident with Montenegro, etc.

The more you travel the more you'll need to get used to this...even hotels take your passports in certain countries(that is where I am the most uncomfortable).

We have had to surrender our passports at hotels in past travels. They were returned when we checked out. They were kept in hotel safe. Why, I don't know. As the saying goes,"when in Rome,......."

We have had to surrender our passports at hotels in past travels. They were returned when we checked out. They were kept in hotel safe. Why, I don't know. As the saying goes,"when in Rome,......."
Some countries require registration with the police (with passport number etc) anywhere you overnight. Hotels are required to do this for you.

Thom

So sorry to hear that you feel this way.....risks r all part of traveling.

Enjoy, L:)ri

Of course it's somewhat disconcerting to hand in your passport on the ship. However, it is quite a joy when your passport is returned with all the new stamps! Rick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk