sailing from New York

Meg67

Hi,

I'm looking at a 10 night cruise sailing from New York to the Caribbean next March.

My question is... I'm assuming New York won't be particularly warm in March but how long does it to get to warmer waters?

Kind regards, Meg😎

Hi Meg,

It really depends on the type of weather that is going on throughout the entire Eastern coast. My wife and I did that cruise 3 years ago in February and we are doing it again for New Years this year. Last time we did it, the first day at sea was a little chilly but by the second day it was nice and warm. I don't remember if it was warm enough that I would go swimming but people were certainly in the pools.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Meg,

It really depends on the type of weather that is going on throughout the entire Eastern coast. My wife and I did that cruise 3 years ago in February and we are doing it again for New Years this year. Last time we did it, the first day at sea was a little chilly but by the second day it was nice and warm. I don't remember if it was warm enough that I would go swimming but people were certainly in the pools.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm on same sailing. Have done this itinerary numerous time on the Gem. Never on NYE though !

We have done the Gem 10 day the last 3 years in Jan, Feb, or March. It just keeps getting warmer as you head south. Each time by the 2nd afternoon we could have gone in the pool. Look at it this way, if you are from the NE then you will be leaving winter weather behind.

I'm on same sailing. Have done this itinerary numerous time on the Gem. Never on NYE though !

We are looking forward to it and thought it would be a fun thing to do for NYE. We live in NJ so sailing out of NYC is really convienent.

We've sailed a few times out of NY, in February & in March - what is "warm" to you and me could be different than for someone else :D - a great deal has to do with mother nature, which we have no control or say.

However, pool temperature is held around 80 degree F and the hot tub around 100 degree F, you just need to dress warm enough once out of the waters or until you get into the pool. Typically, the ship will be in the Carolinas by the afternoon of Day 2 and nice enough for people to be in the pool, joining those already there since the (sometimes) "chilly" morning - a full Sea Day :D

On the return - the last Sea Day will turn progressively cooler or colder, depending on the weather fronts, the pool & hot tubs will remain warm & cozy.

Thanks for the replies... I'm from the UK so used to cold March days but want as much sun as possible on my vacation... However this tempts me a lot as it gives me 3 nights pre cruise in New York😎

Hi Meg

March is the windy month here usually. Hopefully you will have lots of sun for your cruise :)

Make the most of it with cocktails at Malting's on the Waterfront and Spice H2O.

Enjoy your pre cruise days in NYC and the beautiful Breakaway!!

I left NY on the GEM February 28, 2009. The day we left, NY had two feet of snow dumped on it and there was a cold front that dipped so low, it was actually warmer in Miami than it was in the Bahamas. Miami was 78, Bahamas was 75. It was way too cold to go in the water, I tried. In Nassau it was so windy and cold, it was too cold to stand on the beach.. It was in the 60s and felt like it was 45 in the morning. The natives did say they've never experienced weather like that before and it isn't normal, but that's the chance you take sailing in March.

-Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk