Airfare for Navigator Cruise

It sounds a little on the high side, but it could be worse, especially considering you might be traveling during a spring break week. If you're comfortable paying that, I'd just book it, because if the price goes up then I would say the fare is too high. I'm sure you could get a cheaper fare, but I don't know if you'll get it between now and April.

EDIT: I will also add that to get from Denver to Puerto Rico in April, it only costs $416. So, again, I'd book the ticket at $420, but I wouldn't be super happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

We will probably fly Southwest out of San Diego to FLL for our March 3, 2017 cruise on Navigator. Here's the breakdown:

Base Fare $411.87

+ add Excise Taxes $30.89

Subtotal with taxes $442.76

+ add Segment Fee $16.00

+ add Passenger Facility Charge $18.00

+ add Security Fee1

1 Security Fee is the government-imposed September 11th Security Fee.

$11.20

Total per Passenger $487.96

Passenger Count x 1 Passenger(s)

Total $487.96

That's a pretty good price for San Juan from California. The cheapest I've ever seen it from Colorado was $345, and the prices from California and Colorado are probably pretty equitable because we both have to make stops in Texas or Florida first. It should be slightly cheaper to fly to Florida, which is why I think the original poster's cost of $420 is a little high, but it's not unreasonable. And it could get worse, so I'd take "slightly high but reasonable" over waiting and having the price hit the $500 or $600 mark, which it could easily do during spring break weeks.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Is $420 round trip per person from Cleveland to Ft. Lauderdale ( Miami Cruise Port ) for our cruise in April 2017 too much or is this a good price? Should we wait to book airfare 3 months out.

Thanks for all advice.

If it's a non stop it is a not a bad fare. I'm on the Navigator 9 nites on Feb. 3 and I began noting day to day Newark to Miami fares on United. They began at over $500 and I could not believe as a year earlier it was in the $270 to Fort Lauderdale. Finally after a month of keeping records, booked a fare of $392. I tried flying from the other 3 airports and even flying out of one and landing at another. No success. So the $392 to me was a success.

Ps. I've got a family cruise on Allure for Easter week of '18. I've begun the same process to see where the fares are--unbelievable--direct flights for the week of Easter '17 are in the $700 fares, almost as much as the cruise itself. Unfortunately, United has a monopoly at Newark and have to examine every option.

If it's a non stop it is a not a bad fare. I'm on the Navigator 9 nites on Feb. 3 and I began noting day to day Newark to Miami fares on United. They began at over $500 and I could not believe as a year earlier it was in the $270 to Fort Lauderdale. Finally after a month of keeping records, booked a fare of $392. I tried flying from the other 3 airports and even flying out of one and landing at another. No success. So the $392 to me was a success.

Ps. I've got a family cruise on Allure for Easter week of '18. I've begun the same process to see where the fares are--unbelievable--direct flights for the week of Easter '17 are in the $700 fares, almost as much as the cruise itself. Unfortunately, United has a monopoly at Newark and have to examine every option.

I was having the same problem with the Navigator cruise but finally went with Frontier out of LGA. RT with a checked bag was only $261/pp

I was having the same problem with the Navigator cruise but finally went with Frontier out of LGA. RT with a checked bag was only $261/pp

Did not realize that Frontier flies out of any of the major metro airports. I know that they fly out of Trenton, NJ, but flights/times are limited. Do you know how far in advance they list the itineraries/flights. Do they have daily flights. I tried Southwest, but they fly out of Long Island.

Ps. Does anyone know of a website that shows all airlines and flights. Tried Kayak, but they show mostly major airlines.

I like to fly Southwest for a couple of reasons.

1. You can rebook or change the flight without paying the ripoff change fees.

2. If the price goes down, you can rebook at the cheaper price and keep the difference as a credit for another flight.

3. No bag charges.

So if it is Southwest, book the flight now, and then check every week or so to see if the price has dropped. If it has, rebook the same flights, and you will have a credit on Southwest you can use for another flight.

I like southwest too. The only risk there is that they don't post fares until 6 months out, and sometimes their fares can be a lot higher than another airline would have been if you'd booked 10 months out instead of waiting for southwest to post their fares. But by waiting to see what southwest will cost, you miss out on the cheaper fare the other airline was offering, which by now, at 6 months out, has doubled.

I do like southwest though, and try to fly them as much as possible because of their 2 free checked bags and the change fee and cancellation policy. Although I have cancelled a couple flights on southwest and lost the credit because I didn't use it within the year (they don't fly to all the places I go, and have had to use Other airlines for trips within that year).

Is $420 round trip per person from Cleveland to Ft. Lauderdale ( Miami Cruise Port ) for our cruise in April 2017 too much or is this a good price? Should we wait to book airfare 3 months out.

Thanks for all advice.

If it is the April 14 sailing, we are on that cruise. Keep in mind that is Easter weekend when looking at airfare...that may impact the price.

We are flying out of DFW on American into Miami...probably cheaper since it is the main hub...and our tickets were $388 (non-stop).

Yesterday I purchased 3 tickets on SWA from MSP to FLL for $1,537 total with one stop each way. Based on the cost of the flights I'd been watching on other carriers being in the high 700 plus range and it being Easter week, I went ahead and purchased feeling that I didn't want to risk it going up any higher. I was pleasantly surprised to find 6 hours later that I saved $243 (refunded) when the exact flights dropped in price. Now I am very satisfied. :D

I'll keep watching, but I highly doubt they will drop much more due to the demand at that time.

... I was pleasantly surprised to find 6 hours later that I saved $243 (refunded) when the exact flights dropped in price.....

Are you saying you got a refund from Southwest? I was under the impression that they only issued credit for future flights.

I have friends going on the NV next April, Easter week. They may cancel as right now flights from NY to FLL for that time period are $1000 per person

Wow, I've seen flights for around $500 pp, round trip, during Spring Break, but not $1000.

Yesterday I purchased 3 tickets on SWA from MSP to FLL for $1,537 total with one stop each way. Based on the cost of the flights I'd been watching on other carriers being in the high 700 plus range and it being Easter week, I went ahead and purchased feeling that I didn't want to risk it going up any higher. I was pleasantly surprised to find 6 hours later that I saved $243 (refunded) when the exact flights dropped in price. Now I am very satisfied. :D

I'll keep watching, but I highly doubt they will drop much more due to the demand at that time.

My experience yesterday was the opposite. I booked 4 seats from ONT (SoCal) to FLL for March 18th, 2017 at a cost of $1,985. 6 hours later the cost was $2,245 and today the cost is $2,479. :eek: So glad I booked yesterday. I'll check every day though in case the prices drop. Would love to have a credit to use in 2018!

Was this within 24 hours of the original booking? If so, that's probably why the refund.

Yes, it was just 6 hours later. I just happened to go in to show my husband the flight options I had to pick from and I saw it had dropped. Love how easy it was to make the change too!

Thanks for the info, I never knew this was an option with Southwest.:)

You're welcome. Someone pointed out it might have been an option in the first 24 hrs.

This was my first time making a change, so not sure what the normal process is.

Thanks for all advice.

Don't know which day you intend to fly, but after Easter weekend you should be able to fly nonstop Detroit to Fort Lauderdale for about $220 round trip on Spirit.

You're welcome. Someone pointed out it might have been an option in the first 24 hrs.

This was my first time making a change, so not sure what the normal process is.

The process that I have been familiar with is that you get a credit which can be used on future flights up to a year after you first booked the flight. Which itself is way better than miost other airlines. No change fees either.