Is the I-94 entry permit re-issued when re-entering the US after a cruise?

Rob_H

Is the I-94 entry permit re-issued when re-entering the US after a cruise?

I live in Mexico (Baja California). I have a British passport, with a US B1/B2 multiple entry visa. When I enter the US (by land, or ferry from Canada), I get a paper I-94 entry permit in the passport, valid for six months. This stays in my passport while I cross back and forth to Mexico during that six months (I live near the border), as the trips to Mexico are considered short trips to an adjacent country.

So, if I take a closed-loop cruise from Florida to for example BVI, USVI and Bahamas for 7-14 days, will that work the same way: does the I-94 stay in the passport, and the original expiry date must then still be valid when I return. Or is it removed, and a new I-94 issued, with a new six month date, when I re-enter?

I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has actual recent experience of this, how it's actually done, as the official websites are unclear (the rules are different for Canadians, and for visa waivers, so they're not relevant).

This affects the dates I can book a cruise for, as I might have to consider whether the entry will expire before I return to the US (and before I return to Mexico later).

My first post here. Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find it on a search.

Rob

Seems pretty important to ask a bunch of strangers on an internet forum. Why not just contact the USCIS for clarification.

I did find this doc:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/C1en.pdf

with this phone #

If you cannot find what you need,

please call Customer Service at: (800) 375-5283

Seems pretty important to ask a bunch of strangers on an internet forum. Why not just contact the USCIS for clarification.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not asking what should happen, or why it should happen (and certainly not asking anything about extension of stay).

In summary, is anybody here a foreigner (and not a Canadian) who has travelled on a closed-loop cruise from the US, with a B1/B2 visa? If so, did the i-94 form get re-used, or re-issued? (ESTA only applies to those on visa waivers, a different category).

That's something that a person who has actually done this is far more likely to know than a phone support person reading from scripts, which is why I'm asking here. The real world doesn't always work the way that somebody siting in an office in Washington thinks it does.

Rob

If you go out on a closed loop cruise they will not restamp you and the I94 you had when you left will be the same one you end up with, you won't get a new one.

Saying that, a couple of years back when the ferry went to Bimini and back they did stamp you a new I94 as it was obviously not classed as a cruise.

Also people suggesting phoning USCIS, I would suggest have obviously never dealt with them on these matters, sometimes a stranger on the internet can give you what you are looking for.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Many thanks Celtic Girl Cruiser, that's good to know.

I'll have to be sure that any cruise I take isn't too near the end of a six months entry (so that I have time to get back across the US to home in Mexico before it expires).

Again thanks, it's useful to hear how things work in practice.

Rob