Cozumel to Start Accepting Cruises Again on 11/14

wrp96

The Mayor of Cozumel Gustavo Ortega met this morning with the cruise line representatives of Royal Caribbean, Carnival Cruise Lines and the owners of stores on the main front and tour operators of Cozumel. After listening to the reports on the status of the island, tour operators and store owners made a commitment to the cruise lines and set up a date to start receiving Cruise Ship passengers starting on NOVEMBER 14 2005.

http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma.asp

Wow, that's fast. Have to wonder just how great a port it will be at that point however. We are scheduled to be there in February. At least that would give a few more months to rebuild and drop some new sand, etc.

I guess I will just have to look at it as my small bit to help rebuild the economy of those poor folks who have lost so much. And that's a good thing. :)

I'm supposed to be in there December and had the same thought as well. But we will be happy no matter where we go as long as we get a relaxing time on the ship.

I'm just wondering how optimistic they're being with that 11/14 reopen date.

Exactly. I will definately miss Paradise Beach, however, if they are not reopen. We loved spending the afternoon on the beach with the most wonderful guacamolie (sorry for the terrible spelling ;) ) dip and calamari (there I go again!). And brought right to my shaded beach chair no less. :D Sigh - those were the good ole days.

I wonder if you will be able to interact with the dolphins then.I read on another thread they wereall safe.i know the docks are destroyed,so I wonder where they will have us tendering.After the pictures I saw of Cozumel November 14th seems pretty optimistic but I'm glad they are able to do this.

I'd be real surprised if they meet that target. And what will there be to do? No beaches, no park, half the boats not operating.

Highlights of Cozumel Tour:

"This is where the Chankanaab Park used to be....

This road used to go to the lighthouse but is not rebuilt yet...

This where the El Presidente hotel used to be..."

Sorry for the gallows humor.

Whatever they have available to do, I will be happy to go there and spend some money. The hurricanes have been so devastating this year, they have affected so many lives. I was looking forward to going to Cozumel and still am, I am going in January.

That's the way I feel about it. I'm ready to go there and spend more money than I had planned on, just to do my part to boost the economy and help them out. I don't care if there's not as much to see and do as the other times I have been there. They need our support right now.

Hello

We are going there on our November 26th cruise . Wouldn't you think the beaches would be alright ? I was looking forward to bringing my 4 year old girls swimming there , and yes like the above people have stated spend some money :) My husband says I'm good at that anyways ! We decided on the Stingray swim in GC and the cave tubing in Belize , those are for DH and myself since we have not had 1 day to ourselves since our precious girls arrived , literally , not one day . So Cozumel and Costa Maya were going to be designated family days ;)

My TA received info directly from RCCL today that our 11/21 cruise including Key West, Cozumel and Belize is NOW going to Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios, which we are not too thrilled about. Grand Cayman is OK but Ochos Rios is DEFINITELY not on our list.

I am guessing that they are going to substitute another day at sea in place of Key West.

Has anyone received the same info?

Not crazy about Ocho Rios myself but we went there in Sept when we were rerouted west instead of planned eastern itinerary (due to Hurr. Rita!). We climbed Dunns River Falls again and it was sooo much fun.. :) then went to Margaritaville (near port, very safe, no hassle by locals) and had nice lunch by the beach, listened to some music, watched the guys act like boys again on the water slide, did a little shopping.. it turned out to be a really nice day.. .the cab ride (use licensed drivers in the port area).. he took us, picked up when he said he would at the falls etc.

that might be an option????? One group in our group did the tubing tour off the ship and had a good time but that would be too much drive time for me and not crazy about heading to the countryside in Jamaica anymore.

I've been following the thread on the Cozumel board and Tom from Paradise Beach has reported that they have a lot of damage. The beach is gone....all of the sand is gone. Just rocks, seaweed, and debris remain. They had damage to their buildings as well. It doesn't sound good, but I am sure they will rebuild as quickly as possible.

I was just sitting on Paradise Beach myself two weeks ago....on Oct. 14th...enjoying the wonderful food and drink....I was hoping to return there on November 11th, but it is just not meant to be. I hope Paradise Beach recovers quickly...I just love it there.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I just don't see how those piers will be fixed by November 14th. Even if they patch them up what will people do? I read on a dive board that all the dive and snorkel boats are ruined. The pictures of downtown show a mess and the gift shops at the piers are destroyed. But, I wish them a speedy recovery! :)

As for the beaches, it was my understanding that the sand at Chankanaab is trucked in. I know when we were at Dzul Ha (just down the road) it is mainly coral, with very little sand.

Has anyone heard how Carlos and Charlie's fared through Wilma? Thanks!!

Hurricane Wilma cuts Mexico’s largest restaurant company in halfGrupo Anderson’s is renowned across the world for its flagship restaurant brands, Señor Frog’s and Carlos ‘n Charlie’s. In the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Wilma, the restaurant company faces a major rebuilding process with damage to every location in Cancun, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen.

strip.jpgCancun, Q. Roo, Mexico – Grupo Anderson’s, parent company of world-famous restaurant brands, Señor Frog’s and Carlos ‘n Charlie’s, is feeling the tremendous effects of Hurricane Wilma’s devastation throughout its entire corporation.

The company, which is based in Cancun, has lost the complete contents of its corporate office and has experienced damage in every restaurant in Cancun, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, including four Señor Frog’s and two Carlos ‘n Charlie’s locations.

“The aftermath of this storm is unimaginable,” said David Krouham, CEO of Grupo Anderson’s. “I also witnessed Hurricane Gilbert in 1988, which was the most devastating hurricane in Cancun’s history. But what we’ve experienced with Wilma is much worse.”

Through this devastation, Krouham, who has been with the company for more than 20 years, remains dedicated to supporting his 1,200 employees impacted by the hurricane.

cancun.jpg“I expect our restaurants to be closed and under renovation for at least six to eight months, but I will do whatever it takes to make sure my employees are taken care of during that time, even if it requires taking out a personal loan to ensure their salaries are paid,” Krouham said.

Another longstanding Grupo Anderson’s concept, El Shrimp Bucket, which was located on the northern end of Boulevard Kukulcan, was washed away during the storm, and most parts of the hotel zone have experienced major sand and flood damage.

There is currently no electricity or running water in the area, and residents have been told that utilities will not be restored for up to three weeks. Many locals are surviving off of canned goods.

“If we run out of drinking water, we’ll just have to drink tequila,” Krouham joked.

“What’s unique about our company are the positive attitudes and loyalty of the staff members,” he added. “With those attributes, I am not concerned about our well-being and the rebuilding of our concepts.”

cancun2.jpgBefore Hurricane Wilma, Grupo Anderson’s owned and operated 8 restaurant concepts and a total of 54 locations. Systemwide sales for 2005 were projected to reach more than $100 million. The four damaged Señor Frog’s, all of which exceeded $8 million in sales in 2004, represented some of the company’s highest-volume locations, and will potentially cause a serious financial strain on the company as a whole until they are reopened.

With more than 26,000 hotel rooms, Cancun is, by far, the country’s largest tourism resort area, as well as the top destination in the Caribbean, according to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau.

For ongoing updates about Hurricane Wilma’s aftermath on the Yucatan Peninsula, including photos, please visit www.senorfrogs.com.

###

Note: Jorge Camino, chief operating officer of Grupo Anderson’s, will be available for interviews beginning at 12 p.m. (EST) on Tuesday, October 25

Has anyone heard how Carlos and Charlie's fared through Wilma? Thanks!!

Hurricane Wilma cuts Mexico’s largest restaurant company in halfGrupo Anderson’s is renowned across the world for its flagship restaurant brands, Señor Frog’s and Carlos ‘n Charlie’s. In the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Wilma, the restaurant company faces a major rebuilding process with damage to every location in Cancun, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen.

strip.jpgCancun, Q. Roo, Mexico – Grupo Anderson’s, parent company of world-famous restaurant brands, Señor Frog’s and Carlos ‘n Charlie’s, is feeling the tremendous effects of Hurricane Wilma’s devastation throughout its entire corporation.

The company, which is based in Cancun, has lost the complete contents of its corporate office and has experienced damage in every restaurant in Cancun, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, including four Señor Frog’s and two Carlos ‘n Charlie’s locations.

“The aftermath of this storm is unimaginable,” said David Krouham, CEO of Grupo Anderson’s. “I also witnessed Hurricane Gilbert in 1988, which was the most devastating hurricane in Cancun’s history. But what we’ve experienced with Wilma is much worse.”

Through this devastation, Krouham, who has been with the company for more than 20 years, remains dedicated to supporting his 1,200 employees impacted by the hurricane.

cancun.jpg“I expect our restaurants to be closed and under renovation for at least six to eight months, but I will do whatever it takes to make sure my employees are taken care of during that time, even if it requires taking out a personal loan to ensure their salaries are paid,” Krouham said.

Another longstanding Grupo Anderson’s concept, El Shrimp Bucket, which was located on the northern end of Boulevard Kukulcan, was washed away during the storm, and most parts of the hotel zone have experienced major sand and flood damage.

There is currently no electricity or running water in the area, and residents have been told that utilities will not be restored for up to three weeks. Many locals are surviving off of canned goods.

“If we run out of drinking water, we’ll just have to drink tequila,” Krouham joked.

“What’s unique about our company are the positive attitudes and loyalty of the staff members,” he added. “With those attributes, I am not concerned about our well-being and the rebuilding of our concepts.”

cancun2.jpgBefore Hurricane Wilma, Grupo Anderson’s owned and operated 8 restaurant concepts and a total of 54 locations. Systemwide sales for 2005 were projected to reach more than $100 million. The four damaged Señor Frog’s, all of which exceeded $8 million in sales in 2004, represented some of the company’s highest-volume locations, and will potentially cause a serious financial strain on the company as a whole until they are reopened.

With more than 26,000 hotel rooms, Cancun is, by far, the country’s largest tourism resort area, as well as the top destination in the Caribbean, according to the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau.

For ongoing updates about Hurricane Wilma’s aftermath on the Yucatan Peninsula, including photos, please visit www.senorfrogs.com.

###

Note: Jorge Camino, chief operating officer of Grupo Anderson’s, will be available for interviews beginning at 12 p.m. (EST) on Tuesday, October 25

“I expect our restaurants to be closed and under renovation for at least six to eight months, but I will do whatever it takes to make sure my employees are taken care of during that time, even if it requires taking out a personal loan to ensure their salaries are paid,” Krouham said.

WOW!! Talk about good corporate stewardship. This world needs more companies like this that are willing to take care of its employees like this. You definitely will find me frequenting their restaurants whenever I have the opportunity.

They will probably get more done than you expect as their whole economy is based on the visitors, so they will be working 24/7 to get it cleaned up and at least operational.

He'll send back all of the laborers that are in New Orleans - So Native NO's can find work that they really don't want in the first place

Archived