NCL Breakaway July 31

My wife and I usually leave one of us on the chair to indicate we are using it.

When both of us go into a pool or hot tub the chair must always be kept in view and you have to always be watching it to ensure someone doesn't come move whatever you have.

The pool decks are a constant battle ground, you can't relax, you always need to be watching to either get a better seat or defend your own. Victors are crowned with seats close to the action and the defeated are relegated to either a seat in a far off corner or no seats at all.

It's exhausting and slaughters many, but it's all part of the cruise experience.

This is one reason I'd rather take fewer cruises and make sure we have our own balcony. If I wanted to deal with a scrum like that, I'd take up rugby!

I haven't experienced this much cause if me and hubby go to the pool at all it's for an early morning swim when there aren't many people around.

But I was curious. I understand if someone leaves a towel on a chair for over an hour that people are tempted to remove it, but what if they left personal items like a book, clothes, a cell phone, etc. It is still permissible to move their items? Where do you put them? What if the person comes back and claims or broke or stole their items?

If you asked, would an NCL employee remove the items for you? I don't assume the employees are paying attention so would they take your word if you said someone left their chair for over an hour?

I don't think I'd have the balls to touch someone else's stuff but I might ask an employee to do it....

Or maybe they just have to pee? Or get a drink? Or jump in the pool to cool off? People like you are the problem, when you see a chair like that and automatically think, "chair hog". That makes you the jerk, and not the person doing it.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My father died of skin cancer. I don't sit in the sun. I don't know why you would call me a jerk. I don't take chairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My father died of skin cancer. I don't sit in the sun. I don't know why you would call me a jerk. I don't take chairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe that she ever said that you did take chairs. It appeared that she most likely took umbrage to you calling people names ("chair hog") without any knowledge of why the chair may have been empty at the time.

I can certainly understand why you might not like being referred to as a "jerk", however I'll bet the person you call "chair hog" doesn't like that label either.

I can certainly understand why you might not like being referred to as a "jerk", however I'll bet the person you call "chair hog" doesn't like that label either.

Sorry, I had assumed that it was a universal believe that there are chair hogs. As I said, I have literally never sat on a lounge chair by the side of a pool on a ship. I really didn't realize that the existence of chair hogs was a debate.

My whole point was just wondering if there are chairs with towels that are not being saved but just have a towel left on them.

I still don't think my general comment about chair hogs was a reason to call me a jerk.

Sorry, I had assumed that it was a universal believe that there are chair hogs. As I said, I have literally never sat on a lounge chair by the side of a pool on a ship. I really didn't realize that the existence of chair hogs was a debate.

My whole point was just wondering if there are chairs with towels that are not being saved but just have a towel left on them.

I still don't think my general comment about chair hogs was a reason to call me a jerk.

Sorry, but I don't know what you are talking about. Where was there ever a discussion on whether or not chair hogs exist? I don't know, but that is not a topic that I've discussed.

My whole point was that perhaps (IOW maybe) the person who called you a jerk did so because they did not appreciate the fact that you called other people chair hogs. Can't you agree that some people might object to the name-calling...even though they did so by calling you a name in return?

Perhaps the best thing would have been if you had not labeled people in the first place. JMHO.

Sorry, I had assumed that it was a universal believe that there are chair hogs...I really didn't realize that the existence of chair hogs was a debate.

The issue is that not every person who puts an item (such as a book or flip-flops) on a chair is a "chair hog".

Calling someone a "chair hog" implies that the person is breaking a rule.

There is no way of knowing but there IS the option of alerting NCL staff who are authorized to remove items after a set amount of time (1 hour).

IMHO, I think that the comment was directed to those who remove another passenger's items. That is wrong no matter how long the items have been there. I agree that since you don't remove items that aren't yours, you are not the "jerk".

But I was curious. I understand if someone leaves a towel on a chair for over an hour that people are tempted to remove it, but what if they left personal items like a book, clothes, a cell phone, etc. It is still permissible to move their items?

It isn't permissible in either case. It isn't permissible for any passenger to remove another passenger's items, even a NCL towel.

What if the person comes back and claims or broke or stole their items?

THIS is one of the reasons why passengers aren't authorized to remove another passenger's items.

If you asked, would an NCL employee remove the items for you? I don't assume the employees are paying attention so would they take your word if you said someone left their chair for over an hour?

They would monitor the situation starting when the person pointed it out. A passenger can't just claim "Oh, that's been there for 55 minutes. Could you remove it in 5 minutes?..."

I don't think I'd have the balls to touch someone else's stuff but I might ask an employee to do it....

Asking the NCL employee is the correct thing to do.

Asking the NCL employee is the correct thing to do.

I have asked, they have said no, so I now I move them myself.

I don't see any way moving someone's items who have put them there for the explicit purpose of hogging a chair they will not return to for hours is wrong. The chairs are there for people to enjoy not reserve.

I have asked, they have said no, so I now I move them myself.

Did you wait for an hour after you asked to show the NCL staff that it had been an hour or did you want the items moved immediately after asking? I have seen the staff remove items after someone makes a request but not immediately after someone makes the request.

I don't see any way moving someone's items who have put them there for the explicit purpose of hogging a chair they will not return to for hours is wrong. The chairs are there for people to enjoy not reserve.

There are several things wrong with moving someone else's property. Simply put, passengers are not authorized to do so. If a passenger decides to do so on their own, BOTH the person moving the items and the owner of the items (that have been unattended for over an hour) are going against NCL's rules.

If one passenger feels that it is fine to break the stated rules and can create and enforce their own rules ("I'm going to move their things..."), what's to stop the next person from saying "One hour is too long.....I'm going to move items after 5 minutes...."? If one passenger can make up their own policy and enforce it, why can't the next?

Passengers shouldn't decide on their own what should be done with someone else's property. I understand that it bothers some people who want a certain chair that is only being used to make a book or towel comfortable but being bothered doesn't give passengers the right to handle the property of others.

Interesting retort. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of chairs. If people feel the need to "win" at something during their cruise, go ahead and "win" that chair.

I prefer the less crowded areas but if "PCP vs chair hogs" excites you.....go for it.

From what I have seen, that pool area is way too small. If I happen to get up really early one or two mornings, I'll jump in and be done with it. It's not peaceful or relaxing fighting for chairs or even just having a chair by a packed pool deck. I'd much rather find a quieter area somewhere else on the ship to hang out for the 30-45 mins I like to chill out.

I've read a few people mention H2O as a decent quiet alternative?

It's not peaceful or relaxing fighting for chairs or even just having a chair by a packed pool deck. I'd much rather find a quieter area somewhere else on the ship to hang out for the 30-45 mins I like to chill out.

That's another issue that I don't understand. What's the appeal of the most crowded, loudest, most likely to get wet area?

I posted in another thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50734685#post50734685

....that showed that there are better areas to relax in a chair.

I've read a few people mention H2O as a decent quiet alternative?

It can be hit or miss depending on the passengers.

Vibe (or Posh) is a better option but not everyone (by design) can get access.

The Haven is another option (on the ships that have it) as is the Spa but those are also limited in number (by design).

Now, let's try to swim a few laps in the "big" main pool. Maybe, not a good idea on the BA.

2d8b030e4753d679286ff268df59dd26.jpg

Only saw the BA crew collecting dirty plates & glasses, and touching towels when someone went to the counter to exchange it - crew ain't doing much, if any, about the empty loungers (besides, it's hard to tell in that sea of towels & belongings ... under the hot sun.)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

That's another issue that I don't understand. What's the appeal of the most crowded, loudest, most likely to get wet area?

I posted in another thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50734685#post50734685

....that showed that there are better areas to relax in a chair.

It can be hit or miss depending on the passengers.

Vibe (or Posh) is a better option but not everyone (by design) can get access.

The Haven is another option (on the ships that have it) as is the Spa but those are also limited in number (by design).

I wont spend the money for vibe and I won't have access to the haven. But agreed...if those are options for you, seems like the place to be if you're looking for a chair and some relaxation.

I wont spend the money for vibe and I won't have access to the haven. But agreed...if those are options for you, seems like the place to be if you're looking for a chair and some relaxation.

The pictures that I posted were all open to the public free of extra charge.

I wasn't clear about that for people who might think that those were pics of Vibe/Posh or the Haven.

The pictures that I posted were all open to the public free of extra charge.

I wasn't clear about that for people who might think that those were pics of Vibe/Posh or the Haven.

Yes, I definitely saw those. Thats the type of space I'll have to seek out.

I love pools, they are the main reason I'm an all inclusive resort guy vs. cruising. Swim up bar is just the tops for me haha.

So the BA pool being so small and so full doesn't appeal to me. But thats ok, plenty of places to hang out, tons of things to do to keep me busy.