Please don't bring non-potty trained kids in the pools!

JinxyB

Currently on the Magic and am totally disgusted by what I have witnessed the past few days! First sea day saw a toddler in swim diaper at the small purple water slide and attendant told parent the kid wasn't allowed...parent takes diaper off kid and lets him continue playing-attendant says nothing. Main pool closed for hours due to incident- don't know if it was poop or vomit. Today I take my kid to the slides at 9AM and there are multiple piles of feces in and around purple slide. Entire slide area closed all day and still closed. I have personally witnessed countless babies in diapers in pools and hot tubs and am so grossed out!

People please don't ruin it for the rest of us! Rant over....

So typical of the current generation, "the rules apply to everyone else but me", or "my child should be able to fully enjoy his cruise too".

I think a big issue, is that the Carnival employees are afraid to tell a customer that they can't do something, because the customer will go to Guest Services and complain about them and then the employee can get in trouble. I saw an employee tell a guest that they weren't allowed to do something and they went right to guest services to tell them how rude the employee was. I had to step in and point out how the guest was breaking the rules and that the employee wasn't rude at all.

So glad you stepped in! How did the customer react when you did that?

I do agree that this is an issue. Check out other threads - people who go to their room even though the sign on the door says no. Steward is not going to say no to the customer as it might reflect on their tip. Same type of thing. I honestly thing you are correct that many of the staff worry about offending a customer or just plain pissing them off. Even if they are breaking the rules!

Maybe the cruise lines should put a little more focus on splash areas and options for children in swim diapers?

As for the story about the parent removing the swim diaper... I get it. They are responsible and have a swim diaper on the child (in what sounds like a splash area from the description). Told by Carnival to remove the swim diaper.... "Well.... ok".

It seems like many of you have never been "there". The rules are asinine. I totally understand not allowing swim diapers in the actual pool. But the splash area, really?

We were just on Royal Caribbean, and one parent after another yelling at the poor pool attendant when they were kicking little children out of the splash area (NOT the pool). 2 inches of water... So some parents just started lying about it. Was a total non-issue, no poop in the water. Heck, just about any public pool, including hotels - they provide you with swim diapers to use - in the regular pools. So as a parent, you get on the cruise in the hot caribbean and they essentially tell you "Oh, yeah, you can't use the pools or anything water related. Have a nice day"

Maybe the cruise lines should put a little more focus on splash areas and options for children in swim diapers?

As for the story about the parent removing the swim diaper... I get it. They are responsible and have a swim diaper on the child (in what sounds like a splash area from the description). Told by Carnival to remove the swim diaper.... "Well.... ok".

It seems like many of you have never been "there". The rules are asinine. I totally understand not allowing swim diapers in the actual pool. But the splash area, really?

We were just on Royal Caribbean, and one parent after another yelling at the poor pool attendant when they were kicking little children out of the splash area (NOT the pool). 2 inches of water... So some parents just started lying about it. Was a total non-issue, no poop in the water. Heck, just about any public pool, including hotels - they provide you with swim diapers to use - in the regular pools. So as a parent, you get on the cruise in the hot caribbean and they essentially tell you "Oh, yeah, you can't use the pools or anything water related. Have a nice day"

The part highlighted in red is the heart of the matter. Folks think this is a cruise line rule, or not pertinent because pools on shore allow it. And there are clear signs posted that non-potty trained children are not allowed in the pools, so even "being responsible" and using swim diapers is not being responsible.

This regulation is set by the USPH, a division of the CDC, who are experts in infectious diseases, and their transmission modes, and they require that non-potty trained children not be allowed in the pools. The USPH has no jurisdiction over pools on shore, as these are the responsibility of state and local governments.

The USPH does allow non-potty trained children in specially designed "baby only water facilities". However, these splash areas must meet their construction requirements, including a separate water supply from other pools, a higher "turn-over" rate of filtration, and a Ultra-Violet light sterilizer for the water, as well as operational requirements like a supply of swim diapers available and a crew member dedicated to watching the splash area full time to shut it down if a fecal accident happens.

As I've stated, only a very few ships have dedicated the space and investment in "baby only water facilities".

The part highlighted in red is the heart of the matter. Folks think this is a cruise line rule, or not pertinent because pools on shore allow it. And there are clear signs posted that non-potty trained children are not allowed in the pools, so even "being responsible" and using swim diapers is not being responsible.

This regulation is set by the USPH, a division of the CDC, who are experts in infectious diseases, and their transmission modes, and they require that non-potty trained children not be allowed in the pools. The USPH has no jurisdiction over pools on shore, as these are the responsibility of state and local governments.

The USPH does allow non-potty trained children in specially designed "baby only water facilities". However, these splash areas must meet their construction requirements, including a separate water supply from other pools, a higher "turn-over" rate of filtration, and a Ultra-Violet light sterilizer for the water, as well as operational requirements like a supply of swim diapers available and a crew member dedicated to watching the splash area full time to shut it down if a fecal accident happens.

As I've stated, only a very few ships have dedicated the space and investment in "baby only water facilities".

You missed my point about "being responsible" - kids have accidents. I'd rather my newly potty trained child have a swim diaper just in case. Yet it's not allowed. So accident happens... oh well, your rule, not mine. My 3 year old is really good and he's never had an accident in the pool (we have a pool we use regularly) - but excitement on the cruise ship, I don't know - could happen.

I'd rather him wear the swim diaper just in case so we can be courteous to other cruisers, but they wouldn't allow it. So we rolled with it. No accidents, but if he did, I wouldn't be embarrassed or ashamed, it's the cruise line, not me. And I wasn't going to deny my potty trained child the pool areas over governmental red tape. Sorry. And if it's a bureaucrat at the USPH who somehow sets all the rules for pool use in international waters (doesn't make sense to me, sorry), then they are the ones to blame for it. I'm fine with it.

I find it amazing that we can take our child in the pool at the Hard Rock, on US soil - heck, they hand out free swim diapers.... But a little splash area in international waters and we should worry about Seal Team 6 dropping out of the sky to remove him immediately......

I'll simply lie about my youngest wearing a swim diaper next time if he's not fully potty trained and wants to play in 2 inches of water with his brother (NOT the pool). I don't care. Hate me all you want, I really, really don't care. I know, I'm the problem.....

Edited by BNBR

OP here... Went to guest services last night and was basically given an apology and there was nothing they could do. Whatever. Look, I've 'been there' as I've been cruising with my son since he was 9 months old... We either did not go in the pools or we went on a ship with designated splash zones. Disney does an awesome job with their Nemo's reef area for kids in diapers, but then again you are going to be paying $$$$ for Disney.

I agree that the offending irresponsible parent should be fined- I think it's the only way to get the point across.

You missed my point about "being responsible" - kids have accidents. I'd rather my newly potty trained child have a swim diaper just in case. Yet it's not allowed. So accident happens... oh well, your rule, not mine. My 3 year old is really good and he's never had an accident in the pool (we have a pool we use regularly) - but excitement on the cruise ship, I don't know - could happen.

I'd rather him wear the swim diaper just in case so we can be courteous to other cruisers, but they wouldn't allow it. So we rolled with it. No accidents, but if he did, I wouldn't be embarrassed or ashamed, it's the cruise line, not me. And I wasn't going to deny my potty trained child the pool areas over governmental red tape. Sorry. And if it's a bureaucrat at the USPH who somehow sets all the rules for pool use in international waters (doesn't make sense to me, sorry), then they are the ones to blame for it. I'm fine with it.

I'll simply lie about my youngest wearing a swim diaper next time if he's not fully potty trained and wants to play in 2 inches of water with his brother (NOT the pool). I don't care. Hate me all you want, I really, really don't care. I know, I'm the problem.....

Well, rather than a "bureaucrat" at USPH, it is a scientist, among those who are recognized around the world as the leaders in infectious diseases.

As to why the USPH sets the requirements on cruise ships, that's easy. The USPH is mandated with preventing the introduction of infectious diseases into the US, so they have the right to board any vessel, of whatever flag, that enters a US port after visiting a foreign port, to inspect the sanitation on the ship, and interview the crew and passengers regarding their health at that time. So, if you didn't have the USPH VSP (Vessel Sanitation Plan), which is what mandates the pool rules, then every cruise you would have to wait in line at disembarkation to be interviewed by the USPH, and then the folks waiting for the next cruise would have to wait while the ship was inspected. How do you think this would affect the price of cruises? So, to avoid this, if a ship agrees to follow the VSP requirements (which were developed with input from CLIA as well), then the ships will only be inspected randomly twice a year, and no passenger or crew interviews will be required.

And while I try to maintain composure while posting here, your response does make you self-centered and entitled.

OP here... Went to guest services last night and was basically given an apology and there was nothing they could do. Whatever. Look, I've 'been there' as I've been cruising with my son since he was 9 months old... We either did not go in the pools or we went on a ship with designated splash zones. Disney does an awesome job with their Nemo's reef area for kids in diapers, but then again you are going to be paying $$$$ for Disney.

I agree that the offending irresponsible parent should be fined- I think it's the only way to get the point across.

I saw you post on John Heald's page last night. Have you received a response yet from him? I personally think you should get some follow-up from him. They just need to enforce the rules no matter how much the people with babies/toddlers complain. I never cruised until my "kids" were 18 and 20, so I was never an offender.

I find it amazing that we can take our child in the pool at the Hard Rock, on US soil - heck, they hand out free swim diapers.... But a little splash area in international waters and we should worry about Seal Team 6 dropping out of the sky to remove him immediately......

So you admit your mindset is the problem, but will do it anyway....the mindset I cant comprehend is you know you are breaking the rules, basically say "I don't mind putting everyone elses health and enjoyment at jeopardy because my child wants what my child wants and I wont say no to my child" and you think that mindset is ok???? :confused:

Can I ask you this....Fast forward 5 yrs or so, your kids are a bit older and you are on a cruise. You see a parent bring a toddler into the pool and that kid spits out a nice "floatie" and your kids cant use the pool....You hear the parent say "Well my little snowflake was just so excited and I know its wrong, but I couldn't tell him/her no, so I just brought him/her in the pool"....you ok with that?

Edited by First and Ten

So you admit your mindset is the problem, but will do it anyway....the mindset I cant comprehend is you know you are breaking the rules, basically say "I don't mind putting everyone elses health and enjoyment at jeopardy because my child wants what my child wants and I wont say no to my child" and you think that mindset is ok???? :confused:

I happen to agree with you. It's all about me and my precious snowflake. Maybe noro virus gets its start in the pool. People know the rules and they will do whatever to act like they don't know the rules or the rules don't pertain to them. The kid doesn't know about the rules, and it doesn't know to get out of the pool and use the restroom. All it knows is that they gotta poop and will do it right there.:eek:

There's tons of news stories like this one:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/24/alabama.e.coli.infections/

Illnesses linked to pools are commonly caused by germs spread through contact with contaminated water, the department said in a news release. E. coli infections are caused by bacteria that can be found in foods and stool. Children often become infected after being exposed to others who are not toilet-trained.
Edited by elliair

No, I have not received a message yet from John Heald. Someone on his page said he is away, so I posted my concern over on the Carnival FB page. I'm not looking for any compensation, just enforcement of the rules! It's directly effecting our enjoyment of the ship's waterworks and pool. Been to the ports a million times so we like to enjoy the less crowded ship.

I would suggest that you google "whitewater e-coli incident". Here in metro Atlanta, we have a huge water park - now called Six Flags Whitewater. A child was in a pool and had a potty accident. TWENTY-SIX children contracted e-coli. SEVEN of those children were hospitalized, and ONE 2 year old died. This is not an issue of inconvenience - it can be a matter of life and death.

So sick of all the people who believe the rules are only for other people so that they can do whatever they want. This applies to saving chairs, kids in the pool, partying in the hallways, smoking on balconies, tweens in the adult pools, etc. Tired of selfish arrogance of some people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by pretzellover

Can I ask you this....Fast forward 5 yrs or so, your kids are a bit older and you are on a cruise. You see a parent bring a toddler into the pool and that kid spits out a nice "floatie" and your kids cant use the pool....You hear the parent say "Well my little snowflake was just so excited and I know its wrong, but I couldn't tell him/her no, so I just brought him/her in the pool"....you ok with that?

If that's how you see it, that's ok. You read between the lines a little bit, but it's hard to get points across in writing - especially since I'm a terrible writer.

My potty trained child - to be COURTEOUS to other cruisers, just in case of an accident, I would prefer he wear a swim diaper. The cruise line says "no, if he has an accident, we want the pool full of feces and to ruin the afternoon for everyone else" - to that I say "Sorry, blame the cruise line, not me". I'm trying to be responsible and appropriate.

On the other hand, I find it completely absurd and ridiculous that kids in a swim diaper can't play in the splash area, where they simply walk around and shoot water canons at each other. I totally understand not having them bouncing around in the pool. I just went through this on Oasis in July. I can tell you that parents ended up just lying about it. And there was exactly zero incidents.

Here is the issue. There is this "no mans land" for kids between 1 1/2 and 3 years old. No facilities for them at all (especially on Royal). They have a useless baby pool - but only kids under 1 would be happy with that, they sit and splash. Once they are walking, they don't understand why they are limited to an 8 foot circle and can't play with all the other toys in the splash zone. Which essentially makes pools off limits. This isn't really explained to you prior to boarding. Sure, you can do a lot of homework - but it's not exactly front and center. So you spend $15k to take your family on a vacation, and have to literally avoid the entire sun/pool deck because it causes your child pain as he isn't old enough to understand what a stupid rules and bureaucracy is.

My children are VERY well behaved, for what it's worth. But a 1 1/2 year old doesn't understand, in the slightest, why he can't walk around the entire splash zone, but can only sit in a sterile 8 foot circle with no toys, water guns, or anything else in that section.

Will I lie about a swim diaper so my 2 year old can walk around the splash park (but NOT the pool, to be clear) - yes, absolutely. Just as all the other parents did - without issue.

I participate in triathlons.

There is a rule for training for these events.

Rule 1 for swim training: : "if children are in the pool, get out, no real useful training will get done, the potential for "other" is too great."

Waste in a pool is dangerous!

If that's how you see it, that's ok. You read between the lines a little bit, but it's hard to get points across in writing - especially since I'm a terrible writer.

My potty trained child - to be COURTEOUS to other cruisers, just in case of an accident, I would prefer he wear a swim diaper. The cruise line says "no, if he has an accident, we want the pool full of feces and to ruin the afternoon for everyone else" - to that I say "Sorry, blame the cruise line, not me". I'm trying to be responsible and appropriate.

On the other hand, I find it completely absurd and ridiculous that kids in a swim diaper can't play in the splash area, where they simply walk around and shoot water canons at each other. I totally understand not having them bouncing around in the pool. I just went through this on Oasis in July. I can tell you that parents ended up just lying about it. And there was exactly zero incidents.

Here is the issue. There is this "no mans land" for kids between 1 1/2 and 3 years old. No facilities for them at all (especially on Royal). They have a useless baby pool - but only kids under 1 would be happy with that, they sit and splash. Once they are walking, they don't understand why they are limited to an 8 foot circle and can't play with all the other toys in the splash zone. Which essentially makes pools off limits. This isn't really explained to you prior to boarding. Sure, you can do a lot of homework - but it's not exactly front and center. So you spend $15k to take your family on a vacation, and have to literally avoid the entire sun/pool deck because it causes your child pain as he isn't old enough to understand what a stupid rules and bureaucracy is.

My children are VERY well behaved, for what it's worth. But a 1 1/2 year old doesn't understand, in the slightest, why he can't walk around the entire splash zone, but can only sit in a sterile 8 foot circle with no toys, water guns, or anything else in that section.

Will I lie about a swim diaper so my 2 year old can walk around the splash park (but NOT the pool, to be clear) - yes, absolutely. Just as all the other parents did - without issue.

I don't know your "snowflake", you indicated he was somewhat potty trained....guess what, "somewhat" really doesn't cut it....well behaved or not well behaved really doesn't factor in. There are plenty of "well behaved" kids that will take a dump anywhere when THEY ARE NOT FULLY POTTY TRAINED. It has nothing to do with "behavior" or if they are good kids or bad. My issue is with your mindset. You feel because you don't agree with the rules, you feel that you don't have to follow them. That is selfish and self entitled. You are caving to the demands of your toddler, who is the parent here????????????? You indicate there was a small splash pool for really young kids, but your kid got bored with that, so you just feel because your child wants what your child wants they should get what they want because you paid $$$$ and you should be able to do what you want to do....did I nail that correctly? Then you try to justify your actions with the real mature attitude of "well other parents are lying so its ok that I lie"....seriously? really? That is the position you want to take? "Other people do something that is wrong so I should do it too"

Edited by First and Ten

I would suggest that you google "whitewater e-coli incident". Here in metro Atlanta, we have a huge water park - now called Six Flags Whitewater. A child was in a pool and had a potty accident. TWENTY-SIX children contracted e-coli. SEVEN of those children were hospitalized, and ONE 2 year old died. This is not an issue of inconvenience - it can be a matter of life and death.

That's a sad tragedy, but hardly relevant - even though it may seem so on the surface. It had to do with treatment and monitoring. The pool had almost no chlorine, wasn't treated properly and not monitored accordingly. This was negligence by the park in their water treatment. This is why children are allowed to swim, with swim diapers on, at just about any pool in America.

In the splash zone a potty accident could still be life threatening. If one child has an accident, and another child has a scratch on their body then an infection can enter and cause illness. Poop is poop whether in a 4 ft pool or 2 inches of water.

There are always going to be the parents who think the rules don't apply to their precious lil snowflakes. They even try to say "oh it was an accident..he's potty trained!" No. That kid isn't potty trained or you as a parent didn't pay attention to your kid. Drunk people and little kids..nope, I stay out of the pools.

That's a sad tragedy, but hardly relevant - even though it may seem so on the surface. It had to do with treatment and monitoring. The pool had almost no chlorine, wasn't treated properly and not monitored accordingly. This was negligence by the park in their water treatment. This is why children are allowed to swim, with swim diapers on, at just about any pool in America.

That is technically correct - the park was cited for their treatment procedures. As far as "not monitored accordingly" - I can bet you that the parent of the child who had the potty accident slipped away quietly and said nothing to anyone, because who wants to be the one to shut down the system. And I would bet that the majority of parents would do the same.

And, those swim diapers will never keep 100% of everything inside of them. My youngest two children wore them, when in their plastic splash pool here at my home, so I do speak from experience! Let's just say the pool was bleached many times.