I feel so sorry for Pacific Princess Passengers

Shogun

Hi All

Visiting Edinburgh in August can be a shock if you do not know about...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Festival

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Festival_Fringe

yours Shogun

But, if you do know about the fringe festival it can be quite a bit of fun.

We attended it twice, once on a land trip in which our hotel was in Glasgow, but we spent almost all of our waking time in Edinburg. And once on the Ocean Princess two years ago. The combination of the fringe festival the Royal Tattoo, and our wedding anniversary made it quite an unforgettable day.

Shogun,

We were at the Tattoo also! I planned the trip based on your recommendation in Cruise Critic years ago. We had made independent arrangements and I luckily purchased tickets that were blocked from the wind. We were prepared for the rain and had heavy duty ponchos. Pacific Princess took such good care of us when we returned. They had a nice buffet and we enjoyed having some food & drinks to warm us up.

Regards,

Julie

My Dad was Scottish (Not Scotch, that's a booze) but he said They played the Bagpipes at Tatoo. An Irishman said "What song do they play and my Dad said, "You can't play music on the Bagpipes."

The only ones who predict the weather are fools and newcomers!

Edited by WupperAV

Hi All

Hundreds of folks from Pacific Princess at Edinburgh tattoo sitting out side

high on top of Edinburgh Castle watching the tattoo now,

and weather man has issued a warning for non stop rain for 48 hrs,

and boy is it raining, flowing like a river down the street just now.

yours Shogun

Is this a free view or have they paid?

Hi All

Todays folks are being today to take water, and sunscreen,

clear blue skies and full sun.

yours Shogun,

Julie,

Hope the show was everything you expected, if only you were here this week,

yours Shogun

So glad I went to the Tattoo 33 years ago during my stint with the Royal Air Force. It was a memory for a lifetime. Back then the coolest part of the Tattoo was three teams representing the branches of service each firing a big 1700's era cannon, breaking down the cannon, hoisting all the pieces (and themselves) across a simulated river (two walls perhaps 5 meters apart), reassembling the cannon, and then firing it again. The event was timed and the team with the shortest cumulative time over the duration of the Tattoo won the trophy at the final performance. Absolutely breathtaking but I do not believe they still do this event. I'd go again in a heartbeat regardless of the weather.

We have just returned today from 5 days near Edinburgh in our Motorhome weather was amazing the Fringe was such fun we did the Tattoo on Monday and several shows . If you have never done it please add it to you bucket list we were lucky with the weather but if it rains hey ho just have another drink .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So glad I went to the Tattoo 33 years ago during my stint with the Royal Air Force. It was a memory for a lifetime. Back then the coolest part of the Tattoo was three teams representing the branches of service each firing a big 1700's era cannon, breaking down the cannon, hoisting all the pieces (and themselves) across a simulated river (two walls perhaps 5 meters apart), reassembling the cannon, and then firing it again. The event was timed and the team with the shortest cumulative time over the duration of the Tattoo won the trophy at the final performance. Absolutely breathtaking but I do not believe they still do this event. I'd go again in a heartbeat regardless of the weather.

Are you sure this was at the Edinburgh Tattoo?

This sounds very like the field gun races that were held at the Royal Tournament at Earls Court in London. Fleet Air Arm, Royal Navy and Royal Marines were the three teams IIRC.