Hawaiian Cruise Question

Tutone56

Hi all, my wife and I are trying to plan for a cruise on the POA. We are considering late September or early October of 2017. I'm wondering how soon before the cruise should I consider booking regarding the price and availability of rooms. Also, I don't want to book too soon in case something comes up preventing us going (although I will definitely get insurance). Thanks

I'm not going to say what you should or should not do, but here is what I do.

I book out as far as I know I want to go. So, if it were me I would book now. Then, i would watch the prices and sales to see if a better deal comes along. if it does, I rebook with that new deal. Once I get near the cancellation penalty period, I then buy trip insurance. I don't like to buy the trip insurance too far in advance in case I end up cancelling.

This was my experience in booking my POA cruise (July 2016).

I booked it the first day I was able to. I booked a 2 bedroom suite(SF). I got a very very good price. I then watched the price climb and climb and climb. I was very excited about my good deal.

THEN.. final payment date passed...

I watched the price get lower and lower and lower. So low, that I called and NCL upgraded me to a Deluxe Owners Suite with Large balcony (SB) for the same price that I had paid for my SF. Now NCL did not have to do this since we were way past final payment date, but they did. I might add that the balcony was bigger than the whole SF suite I think(!!).

So.. based on just my personal experience. If room choice is important to you - book as soon as possible to get a low(er) price. If room choice is not

important wait until AFTER final payment dates and book (but you run the risk that no rooms may be available).

Either way the POA cruise was my best cruise ever!!

Edited by Imalismom

Hi all, my wife and I are trying to plan for a cruise on the POA. We are considering late September or early October of 2017. I'm wondering how soon before the cruise should I consider booking regarding the price and availability of rooms. Also, I don't want to book too soon in case something comes up preventing us going (although I will definitely get insurance). Thanks

I don't get your logic in not wanting "to book too soon in case something comes up". You can cancel with full refund up until final payment date.

Fares for this cruise generally only go up. We booked our first POA about 18 months out, and the fare never dropped any lower than what we paid, even after final payment. So yes, you can play the last minute game to see if prices fall. If they don't, you may end up paying more than you had to for a cabin you don't really want due to limited availability.

And even if they do a price drop after final, it's a price drop from perhaps an already inflated fare, but unlikely to be less than you paid more than a year out. I'd book now and then watch fares and special offers like 3rd and 4th sail free. You can always cancel and rebook. If prices do drop after final, use it as an opportunity for a cheap upsell or even a free one.

We booked our December 2015 cruise in January 2015. The rate went down in February & the promo got better, so we rebooked. The price never went lower from that point on.

By the way, if you book more then 9 months in advance, you get an extra latitude point per night.

How much time do you have?

I booked on the 8th of last month for a Hawaiian cruise leaving Vancouver, British Columbia on the 3rd of October 2017. You have 5 Sea Days followed by 4 days touring through the Islands ending in Honolulu on the 13th of October. Should be a fascinating cruise. I can not wait.

I'm not going to say what you should or should not do, but here is what I do.

I book out as far as I know I want to go. So, if it were me I would book now. Then, i would watch the prices and sales to see if a better deal comes along. if it does, I rebook with that new deal. Once I get near the cancellation penalty period, I then buy trip insurance. I don't like to buy the trip insurance too far in advance in case I end up cancelling.

Can you explain more about using trip insurance in conjunction with cancellation?

How difficult is it to collect from the insurance company?

How much are you out of pocket for with the cruise line when cancelling?

How much time do you have?

I booked on the 8th of last month for a Hawaiian cruise leaving Vancouver, British Columbia on the 3rd of October 2017. You have 5 Sea Days followed by 4 days touring through the Islands ending in Honolulu on the 13th of October. Should be a fascinating cruise. I can not wait.

We will be staying in SF prior to leaving for Hawaii visiting with our son and his family. So we thought we'd get to Hawaii a few days before the cruise to explore.

Can you explain more about using trip insurance in conjunction with cancellation?

How difficult is it to collect from the insurance company?

How much are you out of pocket for with the cruise line when cancelling?

I have never cancelled a cruise, but I have used my trip insurance for medical. Both difficulty in collecting and amount would depend on the company and contract you choose.

Thanks for the information - very helpful. I did not know you could cancel a cruise prior to the final payment. That's very good to know, thanks.

Be aware, if you use a travel agent, they may have a cancellation fee. Booking through NCL directly, you shouldn't have a cancellation fee.

My pcc with NCL has been very helpful with reservation changes. Last year I booked 6 aft balcony cabins together about 11 months out. During the course of the year, two couples had to cancel. I was able to re-book one of those cabins at the same price and with the same perks, for a new couple at the time I cancelled. This was the first time I had booked directly with NCL instead of a travel agent, and I was totally satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk