Dawn princess

Southern adventurers

On the Sun class, the wrap-around promenade is narrow near the front only allowing room for two people to walk side by side. The theatre is much wider for the front (maybe) 14 or so rows, with the back 7 or 8 rows narrower (where the promenade deck is wider). It was a front part of the promenade deck was narrower again, there would only be an extra seat each side in each row. If the narrower promenade extended to level with the back of the theatre, the back 7 or 8 rows could have an extra five or so seats. I cannot see how this makes that much difference with the size and usefulness of the theatre. It is very rarely full.

I will upload three photos. One is a photo of the theatre on Arcadia a Vista class ship, the other is Aurora (exactly the same dimensions as the Sun class) and the third is the Dawn Princess.

There is a definite larger space and better space management in the Aurora and Arcadia opposed to the Dawn Princess. I am not a naval architect so I cannot explain where the space on Dawn Princess is wasted.

2012-02-16-002.jpg.24d6fd8eca12330491dacaf85079766e.jpg

2012-07-19-014.jpg.4b50c5383f909b561406c121e887a7f7.jpg

2013-04-26-027.jpg.3b2035f7c428627d64a8090c6e008330.jpg

The photo on the left has balconies. That would provide more seating, but whenever we have been on a ship with this layout, I HATE THE BALCONIES. The rail always seems to be in my sight line to the action on the stage.

When we agree that the ships are the same width (Panamax) and the wrap-around promenade is narrow where it runs past the theatre (or as in the Dawn P, three-quarters of the theatre), I cannot see that there would be any difference in width of the space. I am sure there aren't any secret compartments along the side of the theatre on the Dawn P just to make the theatre smaller. :D

Once again some valuable information for us. As we will be going north in March the heated pool isn't an essential item for us but may well be at different times of the year.

Sleepless nights are and I thank you all for the information provided.

I guess its a little unnerving going with a different cruise line than you have used before but Princess appear to be very popular with little complaint.

Breakfast and lunch has been a challenge on the other ships as well but not frustrating to the point of despair.

I don't think it would be any different on a ship like Oasis of the seas where it's the feeding of the five thousand. Just have to be patient I guess.

A bad experience may give us pause for long trips and a definite deal breaker for the missus.

I'm sure I have reason to be optimistic and further long trips are planned.

Cheers

We were on the Dawn Princess last year 35 day Sth Pacific very enjoyable. We were on Caribe midships port side and about the only thing I can say about Caribe is the noise and vibration of the booms being extended on tender ports. Tenders were only required at about 4 ports and though so it was hardly a problem.

We also spent 17 days around Northern Aus on Baja deck in 2012, our first cruise absolutely loved it.

We ate dinner in the main dining room, wait staff, cabin stewards all excellent, always cheerful very impressive. Horizon court can get busy and sometimes I wished they would open more areas up so that we had more options for seating. On the other hand we did meet and talk to a lot of people other than the other 8 great people on our dining table. Never used the swimming pools just the spas at the back of the ship which were usually fairly quiet.

Princess theatre always very popular on all the cruises I have been on, talks were excellent ie the port presenter was good, the astronomy talks also very interesting. The shows were great too but get there early to get a seat. Comedians were good too.

I also find the princess bed very comfortable which is just as well as I have a damaged back, I hope the bed upgrades to the Princess fleet are good too but I don't think the Dawn will get the upgraded bed.

One thing I like about the Sun class ships is their size quite a bit smaller and better looking in my opinion than the monster ships that Princess are adding to their fleet now, I think the Golden is one of the bigger ships heading downunder or is already based in Melbourne. I think the Emerald will be here next year and that has more than 3000 pax.

Hopefully you'll enjoy your cruise.

Cheers Teddy

PS First post woohoo!

The Dawn is a lovely ship and handles the ocean beautifully. The main common areas are more welcoming than on some of the other ships and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise. You're so lucky to have La Scala pizza restaurant (free and included). The best on any Princess ship. However, the cabin may get some noise from chairs being dragged about above your heads at all times of the day and night. If that worries you, then you should talk to your TA.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Teddy60. Thanks for your comments.

We did the Top End cruise on Dawn last year. Previously we'd been on Sun. It was interesting to compare the two. I think Sun had a slight edge over Dawn in some ways - I think the Executive Chef on Sun runs a tighter galley as the food was slightly better, but Dawn had better coffee. The Sun baristas in the International Cafe were a bit hit and miss. The crew on Dawn were excellent, best so far on Princess.

Golden has one deck of cabins less than Emerald, so slightly less passengers - around 2600.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Before moving to C deck, take note that on the Sun class ships, the balconies are inside the hull with apertures (cutouts) in the hull and that the balcony apertures are smaller on C deck, which make the balconies a little darker.

I would go for B deck, but mid-ships B deck is all mini-suites, or A deck in an area away from the pool area.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Teddy60. Thanks for your comments.

We did the Top End cruise on Dawn last year. Previously we'd been on Sun. It was interesting to compare the two. I think Sun had a slight edge over Dawn in some ways - I think the Executive Chef on Sun runs a tighter galley as the food was slightly better, but Dawn had better coffee. The Sun baristas in the International Cafe were a bit hit and miss. The crew on Dawn were excellent, best so far on Princess.

Golden has one deck of cabins less than Emerald, so slightly less passengers - around 2600.

Thanks for the welcome.

On our second cruise in Jan 15 we took the Sun from Sydney to NZ and back. A lovely ship with great crew as well. I think you are right the Sun has the slight edge, I hope to sail on her again some day, unfortunately did not get a chance to stopover in Akaroa as the winds/currents were too strong for the tenders so we looped out to sea and went to Wellington. Next time perhaps we can get into Akaroa, maybe 2017 will be the year.

The Golden looks like an interesting ship would like to give her a go despite 2600 pax, our friends certainly enjoyed the round trip out from Mel on her around NZ.

I've always found the cabins fairly quiet on the ships, the a/c in the room seems to make more noise than anything. Then again perhaps I am not too sensitive to the noise?

Cheers Teddy

Thanks Teddy.

Yeah booms being extended will obviously be noisy only on days their used so not a biggie. Baja is N/A so only leaves caribe deck.

Would look at me mini-suite but also a no go.

However come September people start to lose deposit amounts so there may be a couple of withdrawals. Perhaps.

The large outdoor movie screens will be a first for us as none of the Holland America ships have them so that will be a bonus. Interesting thoughts so far on that.

I'll definitely have a chat with my TA regarding cabin selection if no change possible I'll invest in a quality pair of ear plugs.

Found the beds on Holland like sleeping on a cloud so that will be another interesting comparison.

Cheers

Thanks Teddy.

Yeah booms being extended will obviously be noisy only on days their used so not a biggie. Baja is N/A so only leaves caribe deck.

Would look at me mini-suite but also a no go.

However come September people start to lose deposit amounts so there may be a couple of withdrawals. Perhaps.

The large outdoor movie screens will be a first for us as none of the Holland America ships have them so that will be a bonus. Interesting thoughts so far on that.

I'll definitely have a chat with my TA regarding cabin selection if no change possible I'll invest in a quality pair of ear plugs.

Found the beds on Holland like sleeping on a cloud so that will be another interesting comparison.

Cheers

I really don't think you will have a problem with your cabin. It is under the open area immediately in front of the ice cream shop. Chairs here don't get moved around much and any deck parties will be in the open area forward of the pool. As I suggested earlier, if you could be moved 3 or 4 cabins further back, it would be better still, but I wouldn't worry too much. :)

Thanks Aus traveller.

Yeah I'm probably over reading difficulties with our cabin on A deck. My TA is pretty switched on and I doubt she would make a bad pick.

Ships pretty much booked out any way after some research.

I know how important a good bed is Teddy as I've just been medically retired after a serious back injury and two failed surgeries but such is life. I'm sure the beds are pretty good on Princess ships.

Looking at Hawaii return for following cruise so I'll have a good idea of how Princess is wired. Won't be the Dawn I'm sure but perhaps her replacement.