Is San Francisco worth it in Jan?

usnavywife

We have the opportunity to go to SF in Jan and just not sure it will be worth going or not. Will it be mainly cold and wet?

We are coming from the rain forest of SE Alaska and like to get away from the rain sometimes lol.

Thanks.

We have the opportunity to go to SF in Jan and just not sure it will be worth going or not. Will it be mainly cold and wet?

We are coming from the rain forest of SE Alaska and like to get away from the rain sometimes lol.

Thanks.

I've visited in October, November, March, and May and experienced the occasionally beautiful sunny day and plenty of dreich ones. We haven't had to amend any plans based on weather - the city certainly doesn't shut down over winter!

In January, statistically it's going to be warmer and drier than Sitka, but if you want somewhere likely to be sunny and warm it's probably not the place for you in any month of the year...

San Francisco is always "worth it", but you cannot count on the weather at that time. In recent years we would have loved some rain. Remember that last Jan we hosted the Super Bowl at that time with no issues. Come anytime and you will enjoy the City.

Seasons are reversed in San Francisco. There will be a small threat of rain if a storm happens to come by, but more likely it will be dry, clear and temperate. The fog hangs around in the summer, winter is clear(er).

Seasons are reversed in San Francisco. There will be a small threat of rain if a storm happens to come by, but more likely it will be dry, clear and temperate. The fog hangs around in the summer, winter is clear(er).

Well...that is the sunny side of the story...we can get some nice spells of weather in January. But average rainfall is 4.5 inches, average temp is 56 degrees, (again, the wettest month of the year in SF) average high of 58.

Take my advice or don't. I live in The City. Winter is dry and clear unless there is a pacific storm. Summer is foggy every fracking day. Don't believe me? Check with Karl The Fog.

Edited by Cuervosar

Thanks for the info. Apparently my job can't afford for me to take time off in Jan :(. But I will keep it in mind.

Appreciate all of the info.

And for the record it isn't nearly as wet in Sitka as people make out like it is lol. It seems to be more like a heavy fog more so than rain. It rarely rains here like we were used to in the south lol.

We ended up moving to California because of a January job interview trip to San Francisco. We had gorgeous weather in the mid-70's for 2 days. Our flight back home was to Dulles Airport; we arrived and they announced that there would be a delay getting off the plane because the doors were frozen shut. We looked at each other and said "That's it, we're moving!".