Using patch for extended cruise length

gardenbunny

I have been cruising since 2003 at least 18-20 cruises and always have to use the patch. Have tried alternatives, but did not work (I am totally not able to function). In Feb will be doing 54 days of world cruise (3 segments). Have been on many 14 day, but never this long. Does anyone have experience using patch for 54 + days? The only side effect I experience is the dry mouth. I tolerate it because I have to.

Thanks

This is a question for your physician, not for a bunch of strangers on a message board.

Yes, I was planning on doing that. I have read the info sheet that comes with the patch but it makes no reference.

So I thought I would see if by chance any of the world cruisers wear the patch for extended lengths.

We agree (strongly) that you would be wise to discuss this issue with your own physician. But even physician's are not always familiar with every drug on the market (there are several thousand). But we will point you to an article that might give you pause (you might want to show it to your physician).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8935644

Hank

I checked with my pharmacy expert and a quick lit search only turned up the addiction article.

Know any Navy physicians or pharmacists? If anyone has experience with long-term scopolamine usage I suspect it is a Navy doc.

In addition to recommending talking to a physician, there are ways to vary the dosage of the patch, that might do two things, reduce your dry mouth, and reduce any potential addiction possibilities.

Place a small round band-aid in the area where you put the patch. Then place the patch with a portion of the patch over the band aid and a portion over your skin. Only the portion touching skin will transmit the scop, so the dosage is reduced, and the patch will typically last longer. If you feel there isn't enough motion sickness remedy, move more patch onto the skin. If you feel there is still too much side effect, move more patch onto the band aid.

We agree (strongly) that you would be wise to discuss this issue with your own physician. But even physician's are not always familiar with every drug on the market (there are several thousand). But we will point you to an article that might give you pause (you might want to show it to your physician).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8935644

Hank

Thank you all so much for your insight and comments. I was not aware of the addiction issue which is a concern. And the dosage info was helpful, as well as the suggestion for only having half on the skin.

I will move this issue to top of my checklist. These 3 segments (Sydney to Hong Kong; HK to Dubai; Dubai to Venice) have been on my bucket list for years and I definitely need to make sure I can enjoy them without being seasick!