I hate the word "cutbacks"....

I checked out a few nice 200 to 250 foot charter yachts the other day to see how well the fully crewed lux charter business is doing these days. It seems to be doing well. There were several nice ones available for (end of the season deals) about $100K a week. You can even bring 4 of your favorite couples to play with.

What's Carnival by the way? Hey wait, I looked them up and it seems that they're a biggie in the fully staffed 'charter' business. As much as I wanted they wouldn't offer me a bare boat charter.

If you can demonstrate competence as a boat-handler, you can find a bare boat charter with space (cramped) for four for a bit under $2,000 a week. You would have to add food, fuel topping off, drinking water, and mooring charges, to name a few. If you want staff, comfort and good food it would be several times as much.

Yes, yacht charter is an alternative - but certainly not a low cost one.

I checked out a few nice 200 to 250 foot charter yachts the other day to see how well the fully crewed lux charter business is doing these days. It seems to be doing well. There were several nice ones available for (end of the season deals) about $100K a week. You can even bring 4 of your favorite couples to play with.

What's Carnival by the way? Hey wait, I looked them up and it seems that they're a biggie in the fully staffed 'charter' business. As much as I wanted they wouldn't offer me a bare boat charter.

For the Carnival types, a more reasonable choice might be at the other end of the scale. Let's say a 60 foot Lagoon Cat that sleeps 8 and has a skipper plus chef. Fully provisioned (including alcohol), you could probably find an "economy" choice in the Caribbean for seven nights for as little $20K+/-.

For the Carnival types, a more reasonable choice might be at the other end of the scale. Let's say a 60 foot Lagoon Cat that sleeps 8 and has a skipper plus chef. Fully provisioned (including alcohol), you could probably find an "economy" choice in the Caribbean for seven nights for as little $20K+/-.

Now we're talking. I used to be involved with C Class cats during the 'Little America's Cup' days and raced Hobie 21s for years. If you're looking for a boat that's quick, comfortable and great riding you've pretty much pined the tail on the donkey. Not being a huge fan of 'stink pots' (had a few) there really is nothing like a big cat.

The still offer what you are looking for on the luxury lines. The price today of the luxury lines, are what some of us paid for in yesteryears, but on a regular line, not a luxury line.

This, in a nutshell, pretty much sums up the answer for every person who wants to cruise with amenities galore, personally attentive service and an all-inclusiveness no longer offered on the mass market cruise lines.

The problem is they don't want to pay for it. If they did, they would simply graduate to a premium line. Instead, they stay in their price point and bemoan what "used to be" without comprehending the economics of the how the cruise industry has (and will constantly be) changed.

This, in a nutshell, pretty much sums up the answer for every person who wants to cruise with amenities galore, personally attentive service and an all-inclusiveness no longer offered on the mass market cruise lines.

The problem is they don't want to pay for it. If they did, they would simply graduate to a premium line. Instead, they stay in their price point and bemoan what "used to be" without comprehending the economics of the how the cruise industry has (and will constantly be) changed.

Exactly correct - cruising the way "it used to be" was largely for the Bergdorf Goodman sort of shopper, of whom there was enough for the number of bunks needing to be filled. With the democratization involved can in today's ever-expanding fleet of mega-ships, more and more attention needs to be focused on the Target and Walmart sort of shopper.