Stumped-are gratuities included with the cost of dining at cucina del capi tano

MMfan14

Have friends that are dining at the Cucina del Capitano on there very first cruise and want to know if gratuities are included with the cover price or do they tip separately? Unfortunately, I have not dine at any of the specialty restaurants. I did tell them beer/wine drinks will cost extra.

Have friends that are dining at the Cucina del Capitano on there very first cruise and want to know if gratuities are included with the cover price or do they tip separately? Unfortunately, I have not dine at any of the specialty restaurants. I did tell them beer/wine drinks will cost extra.

Yes it is but we tip extra.

It's totally up to your discretion. We received a free dinner at Cucina for our anniversary in April and we had outstanding service as well as a free bottle of wine the first night. We felt like they earned their tip and the food was terrific. We are going in November to the steakhouse and will see how the service is to determine how much tip to leave. I have read many comments on how it is included and with the higher surcharge for the steakhouse will have to wait and see. But I feel like you should do whatever you feel comfortable with not what others tell you to do.:)

It's totally up to your discretion. We received a free dinner at Cucina for our anniversary in April and we had outstanding service as well as a free bottle of wine the first night. We felt like they earned their tip and the food was terrific. We are going in November to the steakhouse and will see how the service is to determine how much tip to leave. I have read many comments on how it is included and with the higher surcharge for the steakhouse will have to wait and see. But I feel like you should do whatever you feel comfortable with not what others tell you to do.:)

Agreed but sure wish they would tell us how much of a tip they are getting in the first place so we can do what we feel is appropriate.

Agreed but sure wish they would tell us how much of a tip they are getting in the first place so we can do what we feel is appropriate.

personally, i wouldn't worry how much of the cover charge is the tip. they get whatever they are supposed to get. if you feel you got average service, then it's covered. if you got exceptional service and want to give more, throw a few bucks in extra. the actual number really isn't important and they will appreciate it no matter how much it is.

personally, i wouldn't worry how much of the cover charge is the tip. they get whatever they are supposed to get. if you feel you got average service, then it's covered. if you got exceptional service and want to give more, throw a few bucks in extra. the actual number really isn't important and they will appreciate it no matter how much it is.

I am a numbers guy. If they were getting what our waitstaff in DR was getting to serve dinner that is one thing if they are getting say half that, than I would be more inclined to add to the tip.

20% on the steakhouse is $7 per person ($3 pp at Cucina!) so we give them that at least because we figure the steakhouse is easily a 75-100pp meal on land ($15-20 tip pp) and there's no way they get 1/3 of the cost from Carnival as a tip, I figure. If we didn't get excellent service, we might give less, but that has never happened in the steakhouse or specialty restaurants on Carnival.

20% on the steakhouse is $7 per person ($3 pp at Cucina!) so we give them that at least because we figure the steakhouse is easily a 75-100pp meal on land ($15-20 tip pp) and there's no way they get 1/3 of the cost from Carnival as a tip, I figure. If we didn't get excellent service, we might give less, but that has never happened in the steakhouse or specialty restaurants on Carnival.

Based on that logic you should probably triple tips in main DR too.

I am a numbers guy. If they were getting what our waitstaff in DR was getting to serve dinner that is one thing if they are getting say half that' date=' than I would be more inclined to add to the tip.[/quote']

Nobody on this forum seems to know much about gratuities to the staff beyond what we are all told is "included." I tried asking a similar question on the Royal section and received some rather snarky comments back.

Like you, I would like to know where my tip is going, and how much of it, so I can decide if that is adequate for me or if I want to add more. But I just can't get a hold of that info.

For me, specifically, it's the bartenders. Gratuities are included in the drink packages, but that is such a vague statement in regards to how much the bartender who just made my drink, will get off that drink. Do they just get an overall general share of the drink package gratuities? If I add more, to the seapass card, does it go to the bartender or into the general pool of tips? Do they get to keep the cash? Etc. I get to know my bartenders pretty well and have my favorites, I'd like to know that if I leave them a $50 tip, it's going to them. I have a cruise coming up in October, I'll ask one of them and try and figure it out.

Nobody on this forum seems to know much about gratuities to the staff beyond what we are all told is "included." I tried asking a similar question on the Royal section and received some rather snarky comments back.

Like you, I would like to know where my tip is going, and how much of it, so I can decide if that is adequate for me or if I want to add more. But I just can't get a hold of that info.

For me, specifically, it's the bartenders. Gratuities are included in the drink packages, but that is such a vague statement in regards to how much the bartender who just made my drink, will get off that drink. Do they just get an overall general share of the drink package gratuities? If I add more, to the seapass card, does it go to the bartender or into the general pool of tips? Do they get to keep the cash? Etc. I get to know my bartenders pretty well and have my favorites, I'd like to know that if I leave them a $50 tip, it's going to them. I have a cruise coming up in October, I'll ask one of them and try and figure it out.

If you want to give a bartender a $50 tip and ensure that they get it, I would give it to them personally, in greenbacks.

If you want to give a bartender a $50 tip and ensure that they get it, I would give it to them personally, in greenbacks.

I did :)

But when I order a drink at a bar in a more casual way, I always leave extra. I'm curious if that goes to the actual bartender or the general tip pool, for example.

I would assume the up charge/cover for the specialty dining places is split in thirds, a third of I goes to cover to "better" food your ordering, a third goes to Carnival, a third goes to the wait staff. But I would be inclined to leave a little extra just incase, especially if the service is good.

But when I order a drink at a bar in a more casual way, I always leave extra. I'm curious if that goes to the actual bartender or the general tip pool, for example.

If you write it in, I'm not sure if it goes to the actual bartender or a pool. I've heard of people asking and getting two different answers. I would think it should go to the actual bartender, just like in a restaurant, when you leave extra on your credit card receipt for your server.

I think many people are missing the point. There is NOTHING ANYWHERE that says " All gratutities included" and there IS a "TIP" portion on the receipt. For some of us that usually means that tips are NOT included and we should add 20% (or so) to the bill. The fact that they do not specifically say "all gratuities are included" is obviously confusing.

I was told on our Breeze cruise a few weeks ago by two bartenders that I befriended that all tips added go directly to the bartender that rang it up. I had Cheers, and tipped at leat a $1 on EVERY ticket that I recieved great service on, which was 90% of them. I gave cash to the two who took care of me every day also.

We also tip at least 20% in specialty restaurants for the great service. I know the tip is "included", but the service is always excellent, and we want to recognize that. Maybe others choose not to, but we feel like the servers go above and beyond and deserve the extra. Should we run across someone who provides subpar service, we will adjust our tips to reflect that. So far, we have had great service.

Some people are just not tippers and that's OK...until the servers remember them!! :D:D

I am a numbers guy. If they were getting what our waitstaff in DR was getting to serve dinner that is one thing if they are getting say half that' date=' than I would be more inclined to add to the tip.[/quote']

no worries.

i'm a numbers guy too, but i guess not on vacation. ;)

I think many people are missing the point. There is NOTHING ANYWHERE that says " All gratutities included" and there IS a "TIP" portion on the receipt. For some of us that usually means that tips are NOT included and we should add 20% (or so) to the bill. The fact that they do not specifically say "all gratuities are included" is obviously confusing.

there is also a tip line on your alcohol receipts even though the auto-tip is shown directly above it so the extra tip line doesn't really mean anything other than to give you a spot to put another tip without carrying cash..

there used to be a remark on the carnival website page that talked about the specialty restaurants that stated gratuities included in the cover charge. don't know if it's still there or not but i assume it is.

Dinner at a Carnival steakhouse is much more than a meal; it's an event. For the nominal charge of $35 per person, steaks grilled to perfection, broiled lobster tails and all of your other mouth-watering favorites are always on the menu. So for a night of dinner and a whole lot of fun, request a table for any time between 6:00 PM and 9:30 PM. In order to best accommodate your party, we strongly recommend making your table request at least two weeks prior to your sail date.

*Please note: Steakhouses are only available on Conquest-class, Spirit-class, Splendor-class and Dream-class ships. Please refer to Carnival.com to see if your ship has a steakhouse onboard. Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned. Dress Code is Cruise Elegant. Jeans allowed on Cruise Casual evenings. The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 2 1/2 hours for dining experience.

https://www.carnival.com/Activities/Controls/SteakhouseRequest

As a note, it still says gratuities are included. It doesn't break it down but to me, everyone is covered by the cover charge. If you want to give more feel free to do so but no one is under any obligation to give more no matter how good or bad the service was.

Edited by Computer Nerd

If cruise ship steakhouses were on land, they would be out of business.