Wallet friendly excursions question

Herfnerd

Just booked our HAL cruise to Alaska (first timers for both) - R/T out of Seattle departing 9/2/2017, and even though it is over a year out, its never too early to plan, right? :)

Anyway, having cruised the Caribbean a few times, we know enough to book excursions from third party vendors - besides being cheaper, often times they offer better experiences. We aren't looking at "barebones" tours but spending over a grand for a helicopter ride and dog sledding is just a little steeper than the two of us would like to pay - I know, once in a lifetime but we are hoping that it won't be.

That being said, we most likely won't be booking thru HAL so we just wondered what tour companies do all y'all consider more wallet friendly and reliable or your thoughts on waiting until we get to the ports to deal directly with tour operators on the docks (as cruising in late season may pose weather issues and we might be able to dicker with the rates).

Our ports of call include Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria, BC

TIA!

Edited by Herfnerd

There are MANY economical and even free things to see and do in Alaska. but it depends on YOUR interests and physical ability. Since you have a year, use this time to learn about each of the 4 ports and all the options available..... borrow Alaska travel books from your library, look at each town's web site, read past trip reports. This question has been asked and answered MANY times; use the SEARCH function for this forum and type the word BUDGET to get those responses.

Helpful links in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2347988&highlight=resources

we just wondered what tour companies do all y'all consider more wallet friendly and reliable or your thoughts on waiting until we get to the ports to deal directly with tour operators on the docks

IME you will not save much by dealing directly with vendors. You will likely get smaller groups and a more personalized experience.

If you want to do a specific activity I think you are better off to have that activity booked in advance. Your cruise is costing thousands of $$$s. Why risk missing out an activity that is important to you in the hope that you can save $10 at the dock?

If you look down the board, each and every port is covered extensively, with all the popular things to do, and many vendors for private tours.

I understand, but was hoping for a more condensed, up to date answer rather than trying to open up multiple threads, some of which were started a year or more ago.

My ILs are paying for our cruise next year so I wanted them to have a few DIY/cheaper excursion options that would still be fun.

For Juneau I have take shuttle ($30) to Mendenhall Glacier and hike the trails; Mt. Roberts Tram ($33) (can hike from top); or rent car and drive to Mendenhall Glacier and St. Therese.

Whale Watch with Harv & Marv ($165)

For Ketchikan:

Walking tour of town/Creek St., Dolly's House, Married Man's Trail

Lumberjack show ($37)

Bus to Totem Bight State Park (totem poles)

Lunch in town, souvenir shopping

Ketchikan is our shortest port so the above is probably what we will do, with possibly a flightseeing tour over the Misty Fjords.

I felt like the Dyea Dave tour to Emerald Lake in the Yukon was a fantastic deal at $79.00 per person. It's basically an entire day though you should be back mid to late afternoon if you leave at 8:00 AM like we did. Also I'm assuming you're stopping in Skagway. The tours are small which gives you good flexibility in doing extra stops and such. We had lunch (not included in the trip) at Carcross with time to walk around that small town too. You should be able to easily find their web page doing a web search for Dyea Dave Tours - there are several choices of tours. Nice, nice people and personal service.

Good luck and have a great time!

Edited by SuperCrewBear

Except we don't know your budget, your interests, your limitations, your ports...and the list goes on. You can research on your own...

Just asked a generic question about tour companies that have cheaper excursions than going thru HAL

And last I knew, asking for recommendations based on other's experience is considered part of research

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Herfnerd

IME you will not save much by dealing directly with vendors. You will likely get smaller groups and a more personalized experience.

If you want to do a specific activity I think you are better off to have that activity booked in advance. Your cruise is costing thousands of $$$s. Why risk missing out an activity that is important to you in the hope that you can save $10 at the dock?

I agree 100%. I have already booked my 2017 private excursions for this very reason - flights to see bears in July/August.

I understand, but was hoping for a more condensed, up to date answer rather than trying to open up multiple threads, some of which were started a year or more ago.

Our last visit to Skagway, we (DW and I) booked a private photography tour in Haines. It was $320 per person, plus $100 per person to extend it an extra two hours (got great bear photos...made it beyond worthwhile IMHO), plus $100 tip for the guide. Other people want a $39.95 bus tour through town. Some people want to do something, like dog sledding or bicycle back to Skagway from Canada, while others want to sit on a train round-trip. Alaska really is that diverse, so it's kinda useless to ask for recommendations without some sort of "boundaries".

Just asked a generic question about tour companies that have cheaper excursions than going thru HAL

And last I knew, asking for recommendations based on other's experience is considered part of research

The following are my opinions only (I did not research recently because these are not of interest to me) I reserve the right to be wrong - so take it as it comes advice from the internet.

Do you want to take the train in Skagway - use HAL (based on what I've read on CC - I have no interest in a train ride - we rode in a car to the Yukon.)

Do you want to go up the Mt. Robert's tram in Juneau - do it on your own (if it is super foggy don't bother - won't know that until the last minute.) Mendenhall can be done on your own last minute as well @ $30pp on the bus.

Ketchikan - do the Lumberjack show on your own. (The totem pole/native show can be done on your own - not sure the price difference, but if you just want to see the totem poles, that is inexpensive - city bus ride according to CC)

Whale watching - I believe the pricing in similar from HAL as on your own - the difference is the smaller less crowded boats with doing it on your own.

I have no interest in zip lines, jeep/atv rides, fishing, dog sleds, crab ship, Native American cultural activities, gold panning, food/drink based excursions, etc. so I can't help...

See why it helps to know your interests, ability levels.

Last thing in AK I doubt that much is really cheaper - they have a small season & a captive audience, so why charge less than what the ships are getting? (If you want to go on a whale watch & didn't pre-plan with one of the CC recommended companies or the cruise ship - you don't have much room to bargain on the dock... Again my opinion - I may be wrong - I'm sure someone will let me know if I am - but as I have my plans set so...)

Edited by TheCalicoCat

Thank you for the reply. Now I know that apparently excursions in Alaska are different than excursions in the Caribbean where they are generally cheaper when purchased outside of the cruise line.

You got some questionable responses. I have no idea why people are so snippy sometimes.... Sorry.

On my cruise in May I only booked two excursions at Icy Strait thru the cruise line. Otherwise I didn't see paying extra for something I could easily do myself considering I had over six months to take care of it. The price difference wasn't HUGE, but enough that it could pay for a meal or two, a few souvenir items, etc.

On the Dyea Dave tour we actually rode the train back from Frasier to Skagway and I picked up the tickets at the train station before leaving town - Dave took us by to do that, no big deal. I think we saved about $15 each - $30 total - just on those two tickets. You'll often see fear tactics used to scare you into buying through the cruise line because "those other tour operators might not get you back to the ship on time." Doubtful - they are as aware of the departure time as anyone and their livelihood depends on not having bad word of mouth. It would only take one bad experience broadcast here on the internet to ruin a small business.

Something interesting about Dave - he doesn't take credit cards, doesn't take deposits (unless it's a LARGE group) and you pay him after the tour is over. His guarantee: If you didn't enjoy the tour you don't owe him anything. He will take cash or a personal check. Since he was dropping us off at the train I tried to pay him there - NOPE! He said he'd pick us up back in Skagway and take us to the ship or wherever else in town we wanted to go. He was there waiting when the train stopped then took us by two shops we wanted to buy some things at. I had to practically force the money on him after that! I haven't broadcast this anywhere else because I didn't want others to ***EXPECT*** something like this: There was only four of us on the tour that day (early May); my cruise mate & me plus two ladies we didn't know. The two ladies didn't ride the train so after he dropped them off in town he picked us up and rode us around in the below. How cool and unexpected was that? There was about a hundred other people getting off the train as we rode off and I think most of them was staring. :D That's what makes doing your own thing more interesting. Even if you do only save a few bucks....

27041841274_dd5e908ea7_b.jpg

Thank you for the reply. Now I know that apparently excursions in Alaska are different than excursions in the Caribbean where they are generally cheaper when purchased outside of the cruise line.

I have found this to be true pretty much. I want to use some independent operators because they come so highly recommended here, but not necessarily because they are that much cheaper than the ship.

You won't find that independent excursions in Alaska are much cheaper than through the cruise lines, but they are often smaller, better, and more personal. I have booked some excursions through the cruise lines when it is the ONLY way to book it; some vendors will not let you book independently if you are on a ship. I've occasionally booked through the cruise line if it is significantly more convenient, due to transportation. I do try to book independently when I can.

- Chilkoot Charters, Skagway: I've used them twice, for the Yukon train/bus combo and the Lake Bennett trip.

- Orca Enterprises, Juneau: Now owned by Dolphin Jet Boat Tours. We have been whale watching with Orca twice and had fantastic experiences.

- Blue Bus, Juneau: We've taken the Blue Bus (Mighty Great Trips?) to Mendenhall Glacier once. Cheaper than cruise line excursions, with more flexibility, but not as cheap as renting a car if you have 2+ people.

- Island Wings, Ketchikan: Misty Fjords flight seeing. Phenomenal!

- Avis: We have rented cars in both Juneau and Skagway, for a very inexpensive and flexible day of touring.

We've also done hiking and walking tours, stopping at museums and attractions as we wanted.

I disagree... I have not gone on my cruise yet but I am finding that booking directly with vendors is definitely cheaper than with the cruise line. For example, the Misty Fjords flight seeing is $279/pp thru the cruise but I am paying $239/adult and $189/child. That's a $260 savings and that is just for one of my excursions. It adds up if you think of multiple excursions.

Just my 2 cents. I found some vendors by looking through reviews on this board, some through trip advisor and some just through google. Good luck.

There are many opportunities for more cost effective tours in Alaska than those offered through the cruise ship. Here are some of the things we have done on our own:

Juneau: Private whale watching tour through Orca Enterprises, Rental car through Avis to drive to Mendenhall Glacier and Eagle Beach for hiking, drive up and hike at Last Chance Mining Museum, fishing from the dock by Macauley Fish Hatchery, Mount Roberts Tramway and hike at top

Sitka: Tour to Fortress of the Bear and Raptor Center through city shuttle, New Archangel Russian Dancers, Hike along waterfront and totem park, Russian Orthodox Church

Ketchikan: Funicular to Cape Fox Lodge for breakfast, hike Married Man's Trail, Explore Creek Street and tour Dolly's House, fish from Creek Street Bridge and docks, Lumberjack show, rent car and drive to Herring Cove to see bears and drive to Ward Lake for loop hike.

Victoria, BC: Tea at Murchies on Government Street, tour of Chinatown, Maritime Museum, taxi to Craigdorroch Castle, walk Inner Harbour and watch street performers, tour Royal British Columbian museum and IMAX movies.

These are just samples of some of the most cost effective things we have done on our Alaska cruises. We have had some of the most fun on our least expensive excursions, especially when we have our own car. Have a great trip!

Edited by karatemom2

Well....guess it depends. We booked all of our excursions privately for our upcoming cruise on the Pearl out of Seattle and are saving quite a bit by not booking through the ship.

I know we are not supposed to recommend a tour we have not taken but I will be happy to report back when we return!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Maybe it depends on the cruise line - the independent tours I've booked are definitely cheaper than the NCL shore excursions. Yes I know a poster wrote earlier 'you don't want to miss out', but I also don't want to blow my travel budget and miss out on doing my next holiday. I like to do 4 a year. I'm looking to do the Medenhall Glacier using the shuttle and the Mt Robert's Tram. I'm also doing the Dyea Dave Emerald Lake tour and will probably book the Summit Pass train as well. I've also booked a Float Plane for Misty Fjords that is cheaper than the cruise line, longer and we actually get to land, get off the plane and walk around. The cruise line tour doesn't do that. I've just googled tours, read helpful threads through Cruise Critic and Tripadvisor and tried to go direct through the tour operator. Viator is marginally more expensive, plus our itinerary looks like changing so I thought it was best not to use a third party booking site. Incidentally it has been the private tour operators that have contacted their customers to inform them of the itinerary changes. NCL is only informing the passengers a few days in advance. The one tour I would have spent money on was the flight to Anan to see the Bears through Island Wings, but the season finishes August and I'll be there first week September. I don't need to do the whale watching as I've seen plenty visiting my daughter in Sydney , just by walking across the road. And I plan on walking the track to Hoonah where whales have been sighted. What I see, I see, what I don't I don't- no big deal to me. Seals are seen everywhere where I live too. I can drive 30minutes down the road from where I live to see seal and walrus rookeries. I do like to see things I don't get to see at home. The reason why one of my favourite tours on my SA cruise was in the Falklands where local operators drove us in 4 wheel drives to see the King Penguin colonies at Voluntary Point. The cruise didn't even go there as they said there was not enough time. We all managed and were back in plenty of time. Plus the experience of having a local talk about life etc. living in the Falklands. Hopefully you'll be able to book some great tours at a saving to your cruise ship. The private tours are usually smaller and you get to do more than the ship tour. And as an earlier poster has commented, they are aware of the time and ensure you are back in time. I've done 28 cruises, decided I didn't like enmasse ship tours, and now always go private. I've never even looked like missing the boat once.

I'm sorry for the crappy responses you're getting from some people. You listed your ports in a post and asked for help. Why they can't be helpful and not snarky, I don't know.

We are leaving in three weeks and are trying to figure out excursions, too, so thank you for starting this thread. It has been helpful for me! :)

Just off the 8/7/16 of the Pearl sailing to Alaska, and the tours we booked ourselves were significantly less $$ than booking with NCL, and much smaller groups. In fact on one tour, we were the only people who booked, and had a private tour. The tour was in Juneau to the Mendelhall GLACIER, and the company was alaskacoachtours.com. When we booked it w a s $39/ppl. Great tour and company---- or you can take the shuttle bus directly to the Glacier for $30/ppl. Many people did it that way.

Ketchikan--Google experience Ketchikan.com.

Safe sailing