Age limitations on excursions

KansasK

We are on a March 3, 2017 cruise on the Navigator to the southern Caribbean. Our last port is Bonaire, and we have never been there. My husband is a diver and this cruise was booked in part so he could dive at good places. When I was booking excursions, I tried to book his dive and found he is too old. 65 is the cutoff for going on this excursion.

He has more than 100 dives and is in great shape. He was a runner for 33 years until one of his knees acted up. He still does aerobic workouts, but low impact. He will be 68 on this cruise. He had just mentioned a few days before that though I have seen age limitations on snorkeling, he has yet to see one for diving. Well, we found one. He feels it is the dive operator, not the cruise line, who put on the restriction.

At Aruba, he just had to be under 350 pounds, and he could easily meet this requirement.

I don't know that there is any recourse on this. Any ideas?

It all has to do with liability, so they make an age cut-off. It is most likely RC setting the limitation and they do not bend on these limits.

You can check the ports of call and see if someone can suggest a local tour operator and try contacting them.

Book on your own, I have this problem also. Just use an independent that does not have the age restriction. It's an insurance thing for the most part that the contractor insurance co. Has.

Edited by setsail

It all has to do with liability, so they make an age cut-off. It is most likely RC setting the limitation and they do not bend on these limits.

You can check the ports of call and see if someone can suggest a local tour operator and try contacting them.

I agree its most likely a RC setting, I've seen them change randomly. There was a power boat rental that they wouldn't allow someone over 50 to book.

We are on a March 3, 2017 cruise on the Navigator to the southern Caribbean. Our last port is Bonaire, and we have never been there. My husband is a diver and this cruise was booked in part so he could dive at good places. When I was booking excursions, I tried to book his dive and found he is too old. 65 is the cutoff for going on this excursion.

He has more than 100 dives and is in great shape. He was a runner for 33 years until one of his knees acted up. He still does aerobic workouts, but low impact. He will be 68 on this cruise. He had just mentioned a few days before that though I have seen age limitations on snorkeling, he has yet to see one for diving. Well, we found one. He feels it is the dive operator, not the cruise line, who put on the restriction.

At Aruba, he just had to be under 350 pounds, and he could easily meet this requirement.

I don't know that there is any recourse on this. Any ideas?

My recommendation is to use a non RCI excursion. Before I book privately, I read reviews. I'd Google someone to be my trip advisor to find the right site, as we are not allowed to recommend travel sites here.

I suggested my husband look into a private dive operator and he might do this. He likes cruise line excursions as a rule, though.

If this does not work out, there is a snorkel run to the same reef as the dive trip, so this is an option for us.

Thanks for all the suggestions and explanations!

I suggested my husband look into a private dive operator and he might do this. He likes cruise line excursions as a rule, though.

If this does not work out, there is a snorkel run to the same reef as the dive trip, so this is an option for us.

Thanks for all the suggestions and explanations!

I hope he picks the Bonaire dive so I can hear about it. I just booked a Royal dive for Coco Cay and Nassau and didn't notice the restrictions, but I'm 57. I'll have to go back and look.

The system would not let you book if there was an age restriction

Correction, it wouldn't let me book it if I was outside of any restriction. I didn't look to see if there was one

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk