paid in full

simplelife

Makes sense. And this is all the way up until the cruise?

To make sure I'm understanding.... tomorrow, I can go on Carnival, and if they have an OBC deal, or my room is cheaper, or anything of the sort, I can just call them and get a credit for the difference? I don't have to sign up for any sort of insurance program or anything to take advantage of this?

If you are booked with Early Saver you can get any price drops up until 48 hours prior to sailing. BUT nothing in live is ever really that easy. There are terms and conditions that have to be met before you receive anything. I would definitely suggest reading up on ES on the CCL website and then reading through the threads on here to find out what the pitfalls are.

If you are booked with Early Saver you can get any price drops up until 48 hours prior to sailing. BUT nothing in live is ever really that easy. There are terms and conditions that have to be met before you receive anything. I would definitely suggest reading up on ES on the CCL website and then reading through the threads on here to find out what the pitfalls are.

One pitfall to keep in mind is that you lose any promotional OBC that you might already have. Again, using my booking as an example. Because $100 of my OBC was part of a sale, if I switched to a booking where the price was lower I'd lose those credits. In practice, the price will have to drop significantly or a better OBC sale will have to come around for it to be worth it. There are also some caveats about your room. Sometimes, in order to get the price difference you have to give up your assigned room and take a guarantee room, which has it's drawbacks.

One pitfall to keep in mind is that you lose any promotional OBC that you might already have. Again, using my booking as an example. Because $100 of my OBC was part of a sale, if I switched to a booking where the price was lower I'd lose those credits. In practice, the price will have to drop significantly or a better OBC sale will have to come around for it to be worth it. There are also some caveats about your room. Sometimes, in order to get the price difference you have to give up your assigned room and take a guarantee room, which has it's drawbacks.

I don't think I have promotional anything. I just booked on Carnival's website and didn't notice any specials or deals. I'll keep an eye on the rates, if they go down, can't hurt to call. I'll also read up on the early saver details.

There is an astonishing amount of things to learn when you start cruising more!

Sure. Let's use mine as an example. I booked ES during a reduced deposit sale. Two-ish weeks later, a sale came around where if you booked ES and paid in full then you'd get OBC, the amount depended on the sailing. Mine was only worth $100, but others were worth $200. So, I called up and asked for that sale. I paid off the balance and received $100 OBC. A few days after that, I noticed that the price had dropped by $10pp, so I called again and asked for the price guarantee. Because it was already paid off, I got another $20 OBC. So, now I have $120 OBC.

In summary, if the balance is paid in full and the price drops then you receive OBC for the difference between what you paid and what the price would be if you were booking that day. Make sense?

Your price would have had to drop less than your cruise fare and OBC put together to get more credit correct? Say my fare right now is 1168.00 with $200 OBC. It would have to drop below $968.00 for it to work out less? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Your price would have had to drop less than your cruise fare and OBC put together to get more credit correct? Say my fare right now is 1168.00 with $200 OBC. It would have to drop below $968.00 for it to work out less? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe you are correct. We also have $200 OBC and paid $1498 so we will have to have it drop below $1298. Right now it is at $1438. Has gone down $60 but still has $141 more dollars to go to be less. That could be a price drop or a combination of price drop and OBC in the rate you are trying to match.