A Thank You to CC and Upsell Inspiration

Enavigo

Thanks for the "blow-by-blow." Makes things quite a bit clearer! Still seems strange that it is the passenger who tries to "sell" the upsell to the cruise line, instead of the reverse!

NCL is still selling. It's just that sometimes, NCL reaches out to the customer and makes an offer while other times, the customer reaches out to NCL.

CC readers are more likely to reach out to them while "normal" people who don't know are either happy or annoyed if NCL reaches out with something more expensive.

There are offers and counter-offers....it can be a back and forth thing.

ah ok. very cool! anything movable like that is gonna be trouble for sure regarding sound. i hope there's a lock on the wall so no one can sneak into your room ;)

i've fantasized about the garden villa on the dawn etc and the floor plans and videos there look amazing for 4000 sq feet! maybe someday me and a bunch of my closest friends can do it.

The Dawn/Star GVs run around 6,000 sq ft and Jewel class around 3,500 - the balcony area is smaller.

I'll keep this in the back of my mind and report back post cruise. Of course, if I can hear them in OS I'll just invite them over for a drink :)

YMMV quite a bit on the noise issue. If you have a couple who doesn't make much noise, probably no problem. If you have a couple sitting at their table talking at moderate voice or if they have company over, you'll hear it. The noise leak comes from the corner behind where they normally keep the white chair but if they are sitting there talking at normal voice you'll hear them and probably they will hear you.

The bedroom and bath area are quite nice and very quiet. Tons of storage space in bathroom area plus there is a 1/2 bath off the entrance door to the right.

Well as expected, all the cabins we could upsell to were already sold out. Glad I called though. It was good practice for future upsell calls and at least I know an upgrade would not have been possible.

Edited by ThePhoenix

I called the upsell dept today and they offered an OS on the Dawn for $750 more per person. I'm currently booked in an OB (Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window) and paid only about $1050 per person (including taxes, fees and service charges for UBP and UDP). $750 more per person feels like a lot of money considering our current rate was already pretty low, so I declined. But now I'm having non-buyer's remorse! I feel like paying $1800 a person for the OS is a good deal (we had an OS on a previous trip with friends. There were six of us in the cabin and it still cost $1,200 each without any promotional packages).

Does anyone know, if I had taken the upsell, would I have received all of the promotions currently being offered (i.e. UBP, UDP, wifi, and daily service charges)? If so, I'm really thinking I should have taken the deal since we haven't paid the daily service charges yet, bringing the net cost of upgrading down by about $200. Maybe I'll try calling again tomorrow and see if it's still available or if another category opened up.

Does anyone have advice? Thanks in advance!

I called the upsell dept today and they offered an OS on the Dawn for $750 more per person. I'm currently booked in an OB (Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window) and paid only about $1050 per person (including taxes, fees and service charges for UBP and UDP). $750 more per person feels like a lot of money considering our current rate was already pretty low, so I declined. But now I'm having non-buyer's remorse! I feel like paying $1800 a person for the OS is a good deal (we had an OS on a previous trip with friends. There were six of us in the cabin and it still cost $1,200 each without any promotional packages).

Does anyone know, if I had taken the upsell, would I have received all of the promotions currently being offered (i.e. UBP, UDP, wifi, and daily service charges)? If so, I'm really thinking I should have taken the deal since we haven't paid the daily service charges yet, bringing the net cost of upgrading down by about $200. Maybe I'll try calling again tomorrow and see if it's still available or if another category opened up.

When you take upsell you do not get all the promotions but 1800.00 per person for OS was a score

Sorry you didn't take it

The Dawn/Star GVs run around 6,000 sq ft and Jewel class around 3,500 - the balcony area is smaller.

The Star was awesome in the Baltics up on the upstairs balcony sailing into Stockholm. I've got some great pictures from that trip!

You likely would have gotten all of the promotions in place at the time you booked. Not sure about service charges and if you've already pre-paid if they would adjust up accordingly.

I'd call back and see if you can still take the deal. That was a pretty sweet deal you got. Considering the admittedly lower rate you got when you booked, they offered the deal they offered. They are not going to give it away. NCL would rather it sail empty.

When you take upsell you do not get all the promotions but 1800.00 per person for OS was a score

Sorry you didn't take it

Darn, I knew it! I'll try again between now and my sail date and see what happens. We're traveling with another couple and got adjoining rooms and of course liked the price, so if it doesn't work out I'm still happy with what we've got, especially for the price.

The Star was awesome in the Baltics up on the upstairs balcony sailing into Stockholm. I've got some great pictures from that trip!

You likely would have gotten all of the promotions in place at the time you booked. Not sure about service charges and if you've already pre-paid if they would adjust up accordingly.

I'd call back and see if you can still take the deal. That was a pretty sweet deal you got. Considering the admittedly lower rate you got when you booked, they offered the deal they offered. They are not going to give it away. NCL would rather it sail empty.

I immediately regret not taking it... It was just hard to look at it from the perspective of nearly doubling our original cost, even though most of our other cruises have been more in that $1500 to $2000 per person range. I'll try again and see what happens.

I immediately regret not taking it... It was just hard to look at it from the perspective of nearly doubling our original cost, even though most of our other cruises have been more in that $1500 to $2000 per person range. I'll try again and see what happens.

That was a great upsell price. If you do get a chance, take one on 10 vs 9.

i know nothing about the dawn so just picked a week in october to bermuda and checked out the prices. 7K for the OS..yea id have paid 4000 for it :)

over 8K is the OS on my week on the breakaway. and DOS works out to almost 13K. id love to get that one for 1000 PP

i know nothing about the dawn so just picked a week in october to bermuda and checked out the prices. 7K for the OS..yea id have paid 4000 for it :)

over 8K is the OS on my week on the breakaway. and DOS works out to almost 13K. id love to get that one for 1000 PP

We were on the Dawn in May (last cruise before the refurb) it was a 10 day cruise and we went from a balcony to Deluxe Owners Suite for $1000 ($500pp), it was great!!

Wow! So jealous right now. This will definitely be a treat, but it will probably spoil you for any other cruise you have. I have not yet sailed on NCL, but my husband has years ago before their bigger ships were every introduced. I've been keeping my eye on them, that is why I have been reading the NCL boards.

And welcome to Cruise Critic.

I am so hoping we can snag a possible upsell to the 2 BR on our Breakaway sailing in October. I see one dropped out of the inventory today, down to 6 left. But currently the price is $4600 more than we paid for our mini-suite. I can't afford that kind of increase. Would love to be able to snag something for around $1000 more, but I am not overly hopeful.

NCL is still selling. It's just that sometimes, NCL reaches out to the customer and makes an offer while other times, the customer reaches out to NCL.

CC readers are more likely to reach out to them while "normal" people who don't know are either happy or annoyed if NCL reaches out with something more expensive.

There are offers and counter-offers....it can be a back and forth thing.

Reminds me of bargaining in open-air markets in West Africa! :rolleyes: Or buying a house!!

Edited by SeagoingMom

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is amazing! I knew very little about the Upsell process until I started reading up here. My sister and I were traveling with my three year old. Our original booking was a BD balcony on Escape. We were able to Upsell to an H5 courtyard in the Haven for an additional $300 per person (for the first two passengers). When we booked there was only the free third passenger and $50 credit per port and two speciality restaurants included. We got to keep those perks but didn't have the other Haven perks like UDP, UBP. Just being in the Haven was AMAZING!