Mighty Cruise Shps TV series

Pattyhoo

A while back, I remember reading posts about a TV series "Mighty Cruise Ships." Unfortunately, it was only aired in the UK and Australia.

Surprise! I found it on the Smithsonian channel on cable. If you google the series,it will give you the schedule.

We watched the Azamara Journey (Vietnam, Thailand etc) this morning. It is being repeated on Aug 18 and 19.

The Solstice (Australia) is being shown on Aug 23. We also dvr'd the Oasis of the Seas (RCCL) and Le Soleal (Ponant.)

There were many behind the scene stories that were fascinating. If you love cruising, I think this series will give you quite a few hours of enjoyment.

Edited by Pattyhoo
Misspelled word

A while back, I remember reading posts about a TV series "Mighty Cruise Ships." Unfortunately, it was only aired in the UK and Australia.

Surprise! I found it on the Smithsonian channel on cable. If you google the series,it will give you the schedule.

We watched the Azamara Journey (Vietnam, Thailand etc) this morning. It is being repeated on Aug 18 and 19.

The Solstice (Australia) is being shown on Aug 23. We also dvr'd the Oasis of the Seas (RCCL) and Le Soleal (Ponant.)

There were many behind the scene stories that were fascinating. If you love cruising, I think this series will give you quite a few hours of enjoyment.

I've been reporting on these series for a few months now on Smithsonian Channel when they are on, there are actually two series if you're searching it on your DVR or whatever you have. The Mighty Cruise ships has 6 episodes of which Solstice and Journey are involved, another one is the Paul Gaugain. The Mighty Ships series has Oasis and also has a two episode show on the Breakaway.

One thing I found interesting is the interaction with the Pilots that board the ship.

Edited by dkjretired

We've got recorded all the Mighty Ships episodes that relate to Cruise Ships and all episodes of the Mighty Cruise Ships. I find them useful when I want to focus my wife's attention on booking a holiday :D

Some of our favourites are the ones featuring The Solstice, Azamara, Queen Mary Transatlantic, the crystal ship, and the very old Cruise & Maritime ship doing a late season cruise to the Baltics.

A lot of these can also be found on Youtube.

Re The Solstice episode we found it interesting that the Barrier reef pilot was expected to stay awake for the whole passage through the reef (about 48 hours IIRC) - he was no spring chicken!

On UK TV there are a couple of recent documentary series that can be found if you have Kodi - featuring Royal Princess and Regal Princess - these seem to focus on the stranger passengers (like the couple who had made their own Princess Name Badges) and eccentric Crew members (The strict German Hotel Director and annoying Shore excursions rep)

We saw these shows last year here in the UK-they were all really interesting.

Watching the programme which featured Celebrity Solstice caused us to book our first Australia trip and a Great Barrier Reef Cruise onboard Solstice in 2018.

Good marketing for Celebrity:)

We've got recorded all the Mighty Ships episodes that relate to Cruise Ships and all episodes of the Mighty Cruise Ships. I find them useful when I want to focus my wife's attention on booking a holiday :D

Some of our favourites are the ones featuring The Solstice, Azamara, Queen Mary Transatlantic, the crystal ship, and the very old Cruise & Maritime ship doing a late season cruise to the Baltics.

A lot of these can also be found on Youtube.

Re The Solstice episode we found it interesting that the Barrier reef pilot was expected to stay awake for the whole passage through the reef (about 48 hours IIRC) - he was no spring chicken!

On UK TV there are a couple of recent documentary series that can be found if you have Kodi - featuring Royal Princess and Regal Princess - these seem to focus on the stranger passengers (like the couple who had made their own Princess Name Badges) and eccentric Crew members (The strict German Hotel Director and annoying Shore excursions rep)

The Gaugain show had a bit of an argument with the pilot and then the Captain ignored his instructions about docking

Was also surprised as you said about the reef you're right, that guy was not young.

I would really love to see the episode with Solstice as it is gonna be the cruise we will be on in march next year!

However, I am unable to watch it here in Germany.

I found that the episode can be bought at Amazon Instant Video. However, this also doesn't work outside the US.

In Germany, it is allowed to record a TV show and give it to someone you know (as long as it is personal - file sharing wont be allowed as you do not know who is downloading it and as there are many people downloading it).

Is it the same where you live? I would be very pleased if someone would record it. I could provide the space to upload it for me.

Mighty Ships and Mighty Cruise ships are actually produced by a Canadian Company, Discovery Productions and are aired in Canada on the Discovery Network. There was a new season of Mighty Ships this year, (Season 9) however no cruise ships were featured. The spin off series, "Mighty Cruise ships" has only been produced for one season to the best of my knowledge.

We saw these shows last year here in the UK-they were all really interesting.

Watching the programme which featured Celebrity Solstice caused us to book our first Australia trip and a Great Barrier Reef Cruise onboard Solstice in 2018.

Good marketing for Celebrity:)

which one are you booked on...... we are looking at March 30 to barrier reef from Sydney

cheers

Belinda

Thanks! However, the video is private and I cant view it?!

Sorry, I can't explain that. I just searched for Celebrity Solstice documentary on youtube and up it popped and played - albeit in a window within the youtube viewer.

It's not working for me either now - sometimes these things are only up for a short time because of copyright issues.

If you have Kodi, it is available on the Exodus App - just search "Mighty Cruise" and series 1 of Mighty Cruise Ships pops up

Edited by DYKWIA

Thank you. Recording tonight.

which one are you booked on...... we are looking at March 30 to barrier reef from Sydney

cheers

Belinda

That's the one we're on Belinda.

It will be our first time in Australia so quite exciting even though its a long way off.

Hope you decide to come along.

Simon.

The similarly named series, Mighty Ships, also on Smithsonian occasionally covers a cruise ship.

Joe

You are correct sir, we have watched this series and once in a great while one of the "Mighty Ships" they feature will be a "cruise ship". I think that we have seen 4. I wish that they would do more. I think we have seen a RCCL, a NCL, Azamara and the Ponant. Would love to see a lot more!

• 1 month later...