Explore 4 and other Promotions

CanuckinSMA

How long does Explore 4 promotion usually last? We have booked an Alaskan cruise for next August. Our TA told us that she can't keep track of everyone's price drops etc. but that if we find the price drops later, just to let her know. I'm just curious about Holland America's promotions..will there be another offering of Explore 4 or other promotions? I will check Holland America prices from time to time. As well a friend said we should also check the travel prices with the wholesale/warehouse company we are members with (can I even write their name??). Any thoughts?? Thanks! Being a first time cruiser brings lots of questions!

E4 expires in mid November, this year. It used to expire in September or October. They seem to offer it only once a year but if you're looking for the Signature Beverage Package (SBP), that has been offered in other promotions at different times.

No, you can't mention the wholesale club name, at least, not in its capacity as a travel agent.

What you can do is google "cruise fare price drops" and choose the site that has the word fish in the site name. For a small fee (as low as 99 cents), you can set up alerts for price drops and you will receive an email. You then contact your TA to get your booking re-fared. I have saved significantly more than my initial $10 fee.

Thank you for this. Since my fare is in Canadian dollars, if I were to put in a price alert do I figure it out in U.S. dollars and put that price in the alert??

You can add Canadian fares in your alert. It will show both USD & CAD. I think the site is Canadian; at least the administrator is in Quebec.

OP, did you have the Explore 4 afmdded to your August 17 cruise? I wasn't clear from your post if you had called your agent to have it applied. Prior to final payment the packages can be changed if you derm one its in your best interest.

One other note, once you've booked with a travel agent you can't easily switch to a big box warehouse agency or any other TA. If it's with the cruise line it's easy to move to an agency. But for professional courtesy agents don't poach other agent's bookings. If you really wanted a different agent I think you'd have to transfer it back to HAL. Then gave a new agent take it from them.

Thank you. Yes, I have Explore 4 included in my price. My TA says she can't watch everyone's price drops so encouraged me to watch myself. Then she can investigate. But I assume that's only if it's a Holland America price drop?? ie. if I were to find a lower price on another website (eg. warehouse pricing, guy with the gnome pricing etc.) would she be able to match that or is that savings being being eaten by the booking company? Is it normally just a HAL price drop that a regular TA can match??

Thank you. Yes, I have Explore 4 included in my price. My TA says she can't watch everyone's price drops so encouraged me to watch myself. Then she can investigate. But I assume that's only if it's a Holland America price drop?? ie. if I were to find a lower price on another website (eg. warehouse pricing, guy with the gnome pricing etc.) would she be able to match that or is that savings being being eaten by the booking company? Is it normally just a HAL price drop that a regular TA can match??

If you find a lower price anywhere bring it to the TA's attention. That doesn't mean they'll match it, but it does show you're paying attention. TA's make money on repeat business - make them work for it.

How long does Explore 4 promotion usually last? We have booked an Alaskan cruise for next August. Our TA told us that she can't keep track of everyone's price drops etc. but that if we find the price drops later, just to let her know. I'm just curious about Holland America's promotions..will there be another offering of Explore 4 or other promotions? I will check Holland America prices from time to time. As well a friend said we should also check the travel prices with the wholesale/warehouse company we are members with (can I even write their name??). Any thoughts?? Thanks! Being a first time cruiser brings lots of questions!

One thing to keep in mind. If the price drops you should be able to get the lower price (if before final payment date), but you MAY lose any perks associated with your current booking (depending on the perks of course). Basically you can chose your old deal or the new deal package, but not pick things from one to add to the other.

Thanks..having a second look it seems the warehouse offer is the same base price but they add in significant on board credit (difference of about $250 from what the TA is giving). However, it being our first cruise I think we'll be comfortable with a TA the first time out. Thanks for all your responses and I'll keep in mind for future that I have the Explore 4 included right now when price checking!!!