niuew amsterdam midships deck 5

silverserfers

hi, despite booking nearly a year in advance our choice of cabins for Alaska on niuew Amsterdam was limited,we settled on a midships deck 5 balcony cabin,found out that the lifeboats are midships on deck 4

this means that when on the balcony you can see the top of the lifeboat below

has any members had these midships cabins on deck 5 and is it a problem with the lifeboats below

your opinion will be welcomed

many thanks

silverserfers

We booked the same. After considering the Navigation Deck, we decided on mid ship Verandah Deck 5. I hope too that we made the right decision..but after talking with Holland twice, our TA and a few comments on here and another forum, I am fairly confident that the life boats won't be an issue...you look out over them and I'm told that you can see the lifeboats from all the decks if you look down. If anyone knows for sure otherwise, I'd also be glad to hear!

hi, despite booking nearly a year in advance our choice of cabins for Alaska on niuew Amsterdam was limited,we settled on a midships deck 5 balcony cabin,found out that the lifeboats are midships on deck 4

this means that when on the balcony you can see the top of the lifeboat below

has any members had these midships cabins on deck 5 and is it a problem with the lifeboats below

your opinion will be welcomed

many thanks

silverserfers

You will not see anything but lifeboats if you look straight down so just lift your eyes a bit and you will have a great view.

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 5093 - a suite just forward of the mid-ship elevators. Because it was a suite the balcony was deeper than the veranda cabins.

I did not appreciate the lack of view, straight out/horizon was fine. Down was terrible [i did have a narrow view down to the gangway when in port, but only because I was in the [b]end[/b] cabin.], the mid-ship elevators blocked my aft view completely.

So it depends on what view you are looking for: If you want straight out/horizon and nothing else is a consideration then you have no problem—the lifeboats only block straight out on Deck 4. With any other angle of view, you need to be either higher and will still get some down blockage or not over the lifeboats [like the forward and aft portions that protrude out further.

If I can answer any more questions, let me know.

We've had the same cabin on both the Nieuw Amsterdam and Westerdam and for us, the location on the ship trumps the view from the balcony. Can you see the life boats? Yes, can you still see the ocean if you look up? Yes. We had a great view of the glaciers when we were in Alaska on the Westerdam.

For me I like being on a middle floor in between cabin floors and being mid ship, but it's all personal preference.

We are traveling on the Oosterdam in December over Christmas and I gave up a forward cabin on 7 for my midship cabin on 5. Midship is more stable and more convenient. I actually had to take the cabin next to the one we usually have, as it was gone.

Hope this helped.

You will not be bothered by the lifeboats when seated, only when standing at the rail and trying to see something on the dock or at the waterline. The best pictures I could find are from the Noordam, but the view is the same on the Nieuw A. Google /5112-noordam-v/

While it is true that mid-ship cabins on decks 6 to 8 also look down on the lifeboats, the fact that their balconies are 1.5 ft deeper than those on deck 5 and are farther away helps mitigate the view blockage.

Edited by jtl513

Many thanks for all of your comments and advice, saw your pics jt1513 ,on balance l would not have chosen this cabin but our choice was limited for the dates we chose, when we booked we only had the choice of 8 balcony cabins , all balcony cabins are now sold out and did so within 2 weeks of us booking, so can't change anyway, strangely there are balcony cabins available for the weeks before and after our preferred date

I'm sure we will have a great holiday

Thanks

Silverserfers

I have been in cabins 5101 and 5103 on the Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam and have booked 5101 for the Westerdam in a year. I liked those cabins as they are midship, smoother ride, and easy to get to the elevators. The lifeboats did not bother us at all otherwise I would not have picked the same cabin again. My view is always to the horizon. I do not tend to look down.

On another post weeks ago, someone mentioned that mid-ships cabins on deck 5 used to be a much lower grade veranda, like VD. Then, HAL declared them to be VA, and used them to offer upgrades and upsells. We had a VD grade on deck 5 forward, and HAL offered us deck 5 mid-ships, VA grade. We took it, but when we saw it, we asked for our original cabin back, which was available. As others have reported, sitting in your cabin, or standing on the balcony, looking straight out, the tops of the lifeboats are just below your line of sight. However, when looking down to the pier to watch a sailaway serenade, or trying to see dolphins or whales swimming alongside, all you see is the tops of bright orange lifeboats. We considered these cabins to be a partially obstructed view. HAL disagreed, but we were much happier in our original deck 5 forward cabin.

We are booked next year in Room 5082. When looking at the deck plan I see crosses underneath the decks..are these crosses the life rafts?? I have never cruised before in my life, am afraid of motion sickness BUT if I'm going to make a change I should do it soon as it seems these rooms book up quickly. Is it better to be away from the crosses if you stay in the V cabin? I don't want to be sick moving to far forward or aft but I also would love to be able to see whales, dolphins if I was ever lucky enough for them to be within sight. Thanks for any advice.

We are booked next year in Room 5082. When looking at the deck plan I see crosses underneath the decks..are these crosses the life rafts?? I have never cruised before in my life, am afraid of motion sickness BUT if I'm going to make a change I should do it soon as it seems these rooms book up quickly. Is it better to be away from the crosses if you stay in the V cabin? I don't want to be sick moving to far forward or aft but I also would love to be able to see whales, dolphins if I was ever lucky enough for them to be within sight. Thanks for any advice.

The crosses, I believe you are referring to, indicate connecting cabins.

Here is a view from the dock showing the starboard side of the Niew Amsterdam. Deck Five is immediately above the lifeboats. Sorry I don't have the port side view but it would be a mirror image. Your V5082 should be at the bow of the fourth lifeboat (first full one from the left) only on the port side. I also have a view of the first port side lifeboat (#2) which should give some perspective of the depth of the verandah. At least you are not trying to view over the tenders. It should be fine for motion. Enjoy your cruise!

DSC06140_zpsyhdhghic.jpg

DSC05679_zpsw5aldpct.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove