Documents for a minor that is not my child

Hello,

My husband and I will be traveling on the Oasis of the seas September 17th with our 4 children and my son's girlfriend. She is 16 and has been given permission to go from her grandmother whom is her legal guardian. She is giving us her Birth certificate and getting a state ID for her. Will I really need a notarized letter from grandma giving permission? Is there anything else I need? I want to make sure we don't have any problems when we get there.

Thanks

Yes, I would be sure to have the notarized letter that gives you permission to take the child on the trip, make medical decisions for the child, and sign activity waivers for the child.

You may not be asked for the notarized letter, but if you are and you don't have it, it could ruin the trip.

Edited by clarea

Hello,

My husband and I will be traveling on the Oasis of the seas September 17th with our 4 children and my son's girlfriend. She is 16 and has been given permission to go from her grandmother whom is her legal guardian. She is giving us her Birth certificate and getting a state ID for her. Will I really need a notarized letter from grandma giving permission? Is there anything else I need? I want to make sure we don't have any problems when we get there.

Thanks

Q:

What if I'm traveling with a minor and I'm not the parent or legal guardian? s.gif A: Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of a minor traveling with them must present an original notarized letter signed by the child's parent(s), authorizing the adult to take the child on the specific cruise, supervise the child and allow emergency medical treatment to be administered.

From the school of "Been There & Done That":

* HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY Recommended that the Grandmother get the child her Passport. While there indeed may not be an issue when it comes time for her to check in at the pier, the Passport improves our comfort level IN THIS TYPE OF SITUATION, rather than birth certificate / State ID.

* The Notarized letter is a must. Because of increasing instances of child abduction in custody cases, and a growing number of children who are the victims of trafficking or ***********, an immigration officer, airline, or travel company may ask you to provide some form of letter of consent if your child is traveling internationally with only one parent or with another adult, such as a grandparent, aunt, uncle, etc. There are sample letters on the internet (Google is our friend in this sort of situation) ... and in the unlikely event the girl is hurt, the letter should give you(as the "person in charge" during that cruise) permission to make necessary medical decisions on behalf of the minor.

You're spending a lot of money on this cruise, and taking a lot of responsibility by having the girlfriend join your clan. While we hope all goes well, put yourself into the position of "what if" ... you'll be grateful you've got your ducks in a row should the need arise.

Michael

I would also suggest for you to take a copy of the court order showing that the grandmother has legal guardianship. We had to do that the first time we took my granddaughter on a cruise. We had no trouble getting her on with the birth certificate as her last name is the same as our and my husband and his son have the same first name. When we returned Immigration began questioning her if we were her parents which of course she said no. He then questioned us about a letter from her parents, which I did have one from my step son. When the immigration officer asked about the mother signature I told him that her father had sole custody and he did ask for the court order which thankfully I did have.

Now she has a passport and no issues.

Edited by cruisinck

We are also taking a teenager who is not our child with us on a cruise (next week on Harmony...eeek!!) and Royal emailed and called us to make sure we understood we needed a notorised letter from his mother and that this was an absolute requirement. We went, with his mum, to a Public Notary (we are in the UK) and got a very fancy, very legal, letter with all necessary details on it. It's much better to be safe than sorry in these situations. It was a relatively cheap and simple thing to organise and I think the peace of mind it brings makes it worth it. The letter required was emailed over to us by Royal. We just filled in the gaps lol

Incidentally we have travelled numerous times with this "minor child" including to the USA, Caribbean, Europe etc and have never needed such a document before, although, as Brits, we always travel with our passports

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all for the responses. I will definitely get the notarized letter and make sure it states I can make medical decisions on her behalf. I would love for her to get a passport but I don't believe we have enough time. I'd even pay for it. Does she need her ID to get a passport?

Thank you all for the responses. I will definitely get the notarized letter and make sure it states I can make medical decisions on her behalf. I would love for her to get a passport but I don't believe we have enough time. I'd even pay for it. Does she need her ID to get a passport?

If she has never had a passport in her name before, there are certain base documents that her grandmother would have to bring.

I'd recommend they check: http://www.state.gov and go to the hyperlinks that discuss US Passports. There is a very specific process that needs to be followed.

Michael

Agree about the notarized letter, birth certificate and ID; should be a photo ID and also paperwork showing the grandmother's custody. Along with a letter giving permission to treat medically would also make sure you have a copy of her medical insurance card.

Passport would be required if you had an emergency and needed to fly home.

When I have done this I included in the verbiage this is the anticipated itinerary and these are the flights that are booked - just in case of any last minute itinerary change. At check in for the cruise, the very young lady checking us in said "I have to keep this letter" to which I responded with an emphatic No! I will need it for other things on this trip. I said that she was welcome to make a copy, but the original was mine and I needed it until we got back home. At that point, she decided that she didn't need a copy after all. :rolleyes:

Here is the letter I have used numerous times, I would just change father the grandmother and parent to legal guardian, and then have the guardianship papers with you

To Whom It May Concern:

I, -----------, Father, do hereby give permission for -----------------, to take my daughter, whose date of birth is -------------------, on a cruise aboard Royal Caribbean International’s ________ of the Seas. The cruise departs name of port on ------------------ and returns to name of portl on ----------------.

The cruise is scheduled to visit,______________________, but I understand and agree that the cruise line may make changes to the itinerary as needed.

I further give permission for-------------------- to sign any waivers that may be needed for ------------------------ to utilize any shipboard or shore activities and for them to authorize any medical treatment that -------------------------may require while in their care

--------------------

STATE OF FLORIDA

COUNTY OF BREVARD

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _____, 2010, by

Who is Personally Known ______ OR Produced Identification _______

Type of Identification Produced_______________________________________________

Signature of Notary Public

If she does go ahead and get a passport, there may be time. I got mine last month. It took less than two weeks to come back. I took my daughters yesterday to get theirs. My 17 year old only needed one parent to be present to apply and they gave her an adult passport.

I would love for her to get a passport but I don't believe we have enough time. I'd even pay for it. Does she need her ID to get a passport?

Yes. She will need to go in person, with government issued photo ID and birth certificate. (Kids under 16 don't need photo ID) The passport application states that for kids under 16, both parents OR the legal guardian(s) must appear with the child. It's not clear to me whether than means a 16 or 17 year old can go on their own, or if just one parents needs to be with them or what. Either way, I'd make sure her grandmother goes with her AND that she brings her own picture ID and legal guardianship papers.

And even if she gets a passport, you should still get a notarized letter from the grandmother stating that you're allowed to take her. She may have a passport, but she is still a minor child!

Edited by waterbug123

100% you need a notarized letter.

I traveled with my daughter this summer, without my husband. At check-in, I was asked for the Notarized letter from my husband allowing her to travel with me. We had the document, and there were no problems.

I travelled last year with 3 "not my kids" who were all 17 years old. Two of them had passports, one did not.

I drafted and had all parents sign and have notarized a permission to travel letter, which included the anticipated itinerary as well as giving me permission to make medical decisions and sign any activity waivers. I also asked for a copy of their medical insurance cards, in the even that something happened while we were still in the US (we flew to and sailed from FL).

All of them had DLs that they used for picture ID purposes. The one that didn't have a passport had her original, issued by the municipality, birth certificate (I had her mother send me a copy in order to confirm it was one that would be accepted). I also had copies of the letters and I believe I did give one copy to the person who checked us all in.

Given that the grandmother is the legal guardian, I also think having a copy of the court order granting her guardianship is a good idea. It's just more paper but it would be essential if they ask for it and you don't have it.

While having a passport is wonderful, it's not required if the individual is a US born citizen, sailing on a closed loop cruise into and out of the same US port. If you don't expect that she's going to be travelling much where a passport would be required, it's an expense that the grandmother may not need to spend. If you think she'll be doing this often, and maybe in the next few years heading off to college where she might have a semester abroad option, then if there is time, suggest it to the grandmother.

Happy travels.

When I took my niece couple of years ago (we are in uk) we got a notorized letter from a solicitor that was signed only by her mother RCI only asked for the details of one parent but immigration in America may ask about the other parent. We travelling too and from uk by ship within Europe her father actually has no parental responsibility although the solicitor actually queried this with us when he was drafting letter as he's on birth certificate. We were not asked for this at check in niece is my spitting image so I assume that he thought she was my child. I did make him aware of its existence and he then made several photocopies. However when we went to enrol her for kids club the staff there asked us if we had a letter

I am traveling On the Anthem in November and my son is bringing a friend. His friend will be 18 when we sail - do I still need the notorized letter for him? Thanks!

Technically, I believe an 18-year old is no longer a minor and I doubt you will need the letter. However, I'd still have it in case somewhere along the line you might have a problem.

I am traveling On the Anthem in November and my son is bringing a friend. His friend will be 18 when we sail - do I still need the notorized letter for him? Thanks!

Technically, I believe an 18-year old is no longer a minor and I doubt you will need the letter. However, I'd still have it in case somewhere along the line you might have a problem.

We have taken 18 year old friends and never been asked for, or taken, a letter. We were always asked when the kids were under 18

Edited by uksimonusa

We have taken 18 year old friends and never been asked for, or taken, a letter. We were always asked when the kids were under 18

Same here, but I was more at ease having the letter. It's not like it's a huge expense or bother.

Since the birth certificate will have her mother listed and not grandmother, you will have to have the court order allowing guardianship to make sure it all connects.

FYI

I took a friend of my sons whose mother kept her maiden name and he used his passport. We were pulled aside and had to have the b/c faxed into the pier office showing that she was in fact his mother who signed the authorization document.