Remich to Nuremberg itinerary ?

amd1234

I have been on my IPad checking deals for 2017. Looking at Avalon Visionary May or June Remich to Nuremberg. If you book before Aug free air!! Also I hope this is a real deal! We have cruised with Uniworld( loved it but getting $$$) cruised with Avalon last year and had a wonderful experience. I know nothing about this itinerary but hear Luxumbourg is really nice. Need help thx...

Hello amd1234,

this would be one of my prefered itineraries if I had a chance to go for that length of time. I discussed this with FuelScience in the thread about the Moselle: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353480 post #18 onwards

The 13-day Rhine and Moselle would also be great if I had lots of time...

Luxembourg is indeed an interesting city with history and some fascinating architecture. Here is the website for Luxembourg: http://www.visitluxembourg.com/en/where-to-go The old town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

On this itinerary you miss out the great Strasbourg and the upper Rhine valley but see the middle Rhine valley with its famous castles, also a World Heritage Site. From Nuremberg you go through the Main Danube Canal and into the Main to join the Rhine at Mainz. You head downstream - see the castles - and enter the Moselle at Koblenz. The rock Ehrenbreitstein with its fortress has been likened to Gibraltar in the 19th century. The Moselle is somewhat more tranquil than the Rhine. Trier, again, that town is heavily featured in the Moselle thread. :) That is westbound, from your title I read that you would like to go eastbound.

Remich is a small place, but a cute village in Luxembourg state not far from the border with France. It is a very practical place for embarkation to get to from Luxembourg city. In the area are lots of vineyards, lovely and green in June with the promise of great wines to be sampled in vintners cellars.

Normal airport for this itinerary is Prague with pre- or post-extension but I have not understood so far why that is, other than that Prague is a fascinating city. Munich is so much closer. Perhaps flights to Prague work out better from the US.

Oh, I have not said anything about the Main. Well, I have not been to the areas much but was fascinated by Würzburg and Bamberg is a delight. Lots of beer. But you can also sample Franken wine on this itinerary (the region in Northern Bavaria is called Franken). There are some old smaller towns that are worth visiting on the Main and the Frankfurt skyline is impressive (Frankfurt is nicknamed "Mainhattan"). Metz in France (mentioned as a stop for the high speed train) is a very interesting town, but it might be difficult to fit it in on such a busy day before you have to get to the ship.

Overall I find it a great "cross-Germany" itinerary with lots of interesting places with a great variety of small and large and lovely landscapes.

notamermaid

Thx so much for your informative reply. We have cruised Castles on the Rhine that is why we wanted to cruise just the Moselle. We contacted our TA and ship is actually empty business very slow people not traveling! Maybe it's just this itinerary. I also want control over my air travel not sure how Avalon works this deal! Bottom line we are going to wait ... Maybe more deals😀

Hello amd1234,

happy to help. Cruising just the Moselle, that is where it gets difficult. Although you could do that I can understand that it is rarely offered on the US-American market. Seven day cruising on the Moselle would be relatively intense (unless you include a section of France), the river is not that long and for a transcontinental flight probably not spectacular enough to find people that are interested in it. Some UK and Dutch companies offer just the Moselle and CroisiEurope offers the Moselle combined with the Saar. I have mentioned to a person earlier this year that UK river cruisers go for five days. I cannot remember the title of the thread.

Anyway, which ever way you go on a cruise line onto the Moselle (on the North-American market) you will always be seeing the castles a second time. 40 kilometres worth seeing twice IMO. :)

Hope you will find the best deal and holiday for you.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
improved info