Buying cigarettes on board

besjoux

Can I buy cigarettes on the boat for my week sail or should I just bring a carton with me? I know with alcohol you can buy it and they deliver prior to disembarking but not sure if this is the same with cigarettes. Also, is it duty free on board?

Just returned from cruising on Carnival and you can buy cartons and take them with you at time of purchase. It's cheaper to buy two cartons at a time. Liquor you can buy at anytime but they do hold that till the end of the cruise. Have a great cruise!!

Above is correct about Carnival. Unlike liquor, cigarettes may be taken with you when purchased.

A word of caution: Not all brands are available on the ship or in ports. I always take my own carton with me, because my brand has never been on any ship I've been on. Wish they were, because they're always SO much cheaper on the ship and in ports.

If your ship calls at St. Thomas the duty free allowance for bringing them back into the States goes up to more than one carton, four I think, but you have to buy them in St. Thomas so save the receipt if you're worried about Customs.

I agree with MsBlue...Take your own. Suppose if you cant find your brand til you get to the first port. ARGHHH-- you'd be crazy--throwing people overboard--lol

And the store on the ship does not open til after sailing..sometimes an hour or two later.

On the NCL Norweigen Dawn (10/19-10/29/05)they only had 3 cartons of cigarrettes to be sold on the ship :mad: they were all Newport. These are marked for export only, they cost $23.00, We were told we could by packs of cigarettes from the bars, Marlboro lights, if they had any. we bought a carton of newport and smoked them all on board.

On St.Thomas smokes were $16.00 per carton, St Maarten $11.00.

Check with customs to find out how many you can bring back, & from which island. We were told 4 cartons from St. Thomas (US Virgin), & 1 carton from St Maarten. and none marked for export only. 5 cartons per person total, any more you have to pay a duty of 3%.

that is if you declare them, lol.

LOL ... bingo!

I even had TSA open one of my bags on the way home from my last cruise. They didn't do anything to disturb the 2.5 cartons I had stashed in there. :)

Thankfully they didn't inspect the other piece of checked luggage ... with the other 2.5 cartons. Nor the carryon bag ... another 1.5 cartons.

I asked someone onboard ship once why there was this stupid one carton rule. He told me that the main purpose of the rule is to prevent people from bringing a huge stash of cigarettes home to the U.S. for the purpose of selling them at a profit. That is most certainly not my intent as I intend to smoke every one of them. Therefore, I'll always try to get several cartons home on every trip. Now, if I get "caught" and lose them (Customs will dispose of the cigarettes supposedly ... you can't just pay the taxes on them) ... then I'll accept the loss.

But so far, never had a problem.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived