Art Auction on board

gary222

There are no shills in the audience driving up the price.....

Thanks, for a definitive answer from someone who's actually been to these auctions rather than those who think it's fun to make up stories. Good to know I can go along to these auctions and relax without fear of any funny business...

Thanks, for a definitive answer from someone who's actually been to these auctions rather than those who think it's fun to make up stories. Good to know I can go along to these auctions and relax without fear of any funny business...

Oh dear - "there may be trouble ahead..."

In a dozen or more cruises I have not seen one picture I would hang in my garage (if I had one) - never mind paying for it.

You will find all genre of art at a full spectrum of prices. From what people consider "posters" to one of a kinds. Priced from a hundred bucks all the way up. When you go, read the back of the auction card fully. That explains pretty much everything. And as somebody already said, the champagne is well.... I don't drink it. Most things come framed and shipped as explained on the back of the bidding card. There is usually a walk off section of art also. This is kind of the scratch and dent section lol. The pieces are fine just the frames are a little beat up and you have to carry it off the ship with you. These walk offs are typically inexpensive but you figure home to get it home yourself.

Has anybody got good experience of buying art from the art auctions on board NCL ?

Can you really get some good bargains? I read somewhere that it's all a bit of a 'scam', but surely NCL wouldn't allow any kind of disreputable art auction operations on board exploiting Cruisers who might be slightly naive - would they?

It is a scam. They prey on the general population that does not know much about art. And it is a stretch to call what they are auctioning art. Most is mass produced and created in a factory. The same "art" is on 200 ships at the same time. Save your money and buy from local artists.

I bought a print on my December POA cruise & the way I look at it, it has appreciated in value by 300% in less than 3 months.

The winning bid was $70. Then they added $35 shipping & a $35 appraisal fee. So now the value is $140 (100% increase). When I got the print, it cost another $140 for framing. So value now $280 (a 300% increase).

That sure is one different way of looking at it!:eek:

Oh dear - "there may be trouble ahead..."

In a dozen or more cruises I have not seen one picture I would hang in my garage (if I had one) - never mind paying for it.

No one should buy art because they think it's a good investment. You should only buy it if it makes you happy to look at it. I have bought several things from the Park West galleries but not because I was investing my money but rather because I think they're pretty and I enjoy looking at them. I have compared the price with what is available at locations such as Amazon, and other art galleries and the price that I paid has always been less. See my latest acquisition below.

1471564825483.jpg.878df73e14cfe7ab5bff017a1a3a929f.jpg

Sorry to rain on your parade but your print has cost you 300% more. Its value is only what someone would pay you for it. If you can get $280 for it when you resell it then it has appreciated in value, otherwise its value is the price you get.

However, if you like it and it gives you pleasure then its value is priceless.

I think the poster you quoted was making a joke.

Has anybody got good experience of buying art from the art auctions on board NCL ?

Can you really get some good bargains? I read somewhere that it's all a bit of a 'scam', but surely NCL wouldn't allow any kind of disreputable art auction operations on board exploiting Cruisers who might be slightly naive - would they?

This is kind of funny if you think NCL cares if it's a scam, as long as they get their cut...

I bought a picture with a frame on it. They wrapped it up all nice and told me it would be allowed as a carry-on on the flight home. Nope. Also when I unwrapped it at home they had covered it in SARAN WRAP as the glazing, not the glass I was led to believe...

I know nothing about art.. Someone please answer a stupid question for me. Is it right that all art offered on NCL cruises, is just copies of originals? So all that art I've seen, none of it is an actual original painting?

In the old days you could get some great buys, which have appreciated. Now you need to know what's a good value and what's not. If your in-experienced do not buy for investment purposes, but buy what you personally will enjoy in your home and what you can afford.

Most pieces sold at the auctions are limited editions. They do have some originals, but the majority are serigraphs or lithographs, some with hand embellishing, but many without. The auctioneer clearly states what the piece is. You can also check by the artist's signatures if it's a limited edition, e.g. 14/50 or 287/300.

Is that service charge applicable on all art purchased or just on originals?

What about prints that with a genuine limited edition artists signature ?

It was a joke. There is no service charge on the artwork, only shipping, framing.

I once bought a set of numbered and signed prints that I liked very much and still do. It was a pretty good price for such items, I believed. I paid for my own framing at the great frame up; which was almost as much as I paid for the artwork. I also "won" free larger mass produced prints that they included in the tube for mailing to me. I had a couple of those framed as well. They look nice and make me happy.

Investment, no. I have never seen others like them on ebay and I do look from time to time. I have seen some other prints by the artist, but not the ones I purchased and the prices have been consistent with what I paid on the ship. On ebay you really can't see the colors as well and there are different qualities of prints. So who knows? I am happy with my purchase.

I agree. The best ugliest artwork on the planet.

I remember every time we walked through the gallery on the Epic we would feel the need to say 'who buys this stuff?!' It was literally like they were attempting the world record for 'ugliest art collection ever displayed'. They also had that 'guess the weight of the sculpture and you can win it' nonsense. I thought it looked like a puking sheep. Thanks but no thanks.

I know nothing about art.. Someone please answer a stupid question for me. Is it right that all art offered on NCL cruises, is just copies of originals? So all that art I've seen, none of it is an actual original painting?

Rarely if ever do they auction an original painting. What they are auctioning off are prints. These days printed on fancy ink jet printers in limited editions. Some limited editions could be thousands of prints. Like the Peter Max's.

Edited by Charles4515

I remember every time we walked through the gallery on the Epic we would feel the need to say 'who buys this stuff?!' It was literally like they were attempting the world record for 'ugliest art collection ever displayed'. They also had that 'guess the weight of the sculpture and you can win it' nonsense. I thought it looked like a puking sheep. Thanks but no thanks.

Oh my gosh that's pretty damn funny!! 😂😂😂

The stuff sold at shipboard auctions might appeal to individual tastes - and possibly serve as souvenirs of cruises; but since none of it is original - and very few, if any, pieces are reliably numbered limited reproductions - you will not see anything of collectible value.

Buy it if you will be happy seeing it on your wall as a souvenir of your cruise, but do not kid yourself into thinking you could not have done much better, price-wise and quality-wise, at local museums (many of which sell quality reproductions) or local galleries. Even Walmart is a better source of art than shipboard auctions.

So shill bidding at auctions is legal in international waters?

Ahoy Matey! It all be legal as long as they gets their pieces of eight!

Was at an auction for a laugh.

Three bidders, who knows how many real ones of the three.

...some silence...

...and the Auctioneer says "Good News! You can ALL win it at 225!"

There's a poster on here (Laszlo... sp?... Lazslo?) who posted detailed machinations of the Park West racket. Post is a few years old but well worth a read.

What is

"the free work of art for attending an art auction"

for latitude members you receive?

I take it you have to pay for frame and Postage on top of that.

No there's no expense involved it's just a small paper print in an envelope that you take with you at the end of the show. The print is not in a style that I would hang on my wall and it is not matted or framed. Most of them are very brightly colored and in the more modern art type Style. Occasionally they'll have something nice.

Rarely if ever do they auction an original painting. What they are auctioning off are prints. These days printed on fancy ink jet printers in limited editions. Some limited editions could be thousands of prints. Like the Peter Max's.

Thanks for the info!

Actually they state up front that if the bid is lower than the minimum bid required for the particular art piece that a member of their staff will bid the minimum bid to bring the bid up to that price and if no one bids higher the item is not sold. They claim that this will only be done if the bid is below the minimum bid for the piece. So while this is technically shilling it is announced prior to the auction. I have found that it's better to discuss the price with them privately rather than even bidding. I was interested in a piece of art but it cost much more than I was willing to pay. In discussion with the Park West representative he finally asked me how much are you willing to pay. I told him how much and he said that's $200 lower than the lowest price I'm allowed to go down to. Lo and behold during the art auction they had a drawing for a discount on a work of art and I won a $200 coupon! Wasn't that a stroke of luck! LOL!!! But suffice it to say I received the work of art at the price I wanted to pay for it.

No there's no expense involved it's just a small paper print in an envelope that you take with you at the end of the show. The print is not in a style that I would hang on my wall and it is not matted or framed. Most of them are very brightly colored and in the more modern art type Style. Occasionally they'll have something nice.

Ty for that, I'm not interested but my daughter is, so we might pop along for a look.