What would you do...

timetobook

I don't normally need input...but I'm stumped on this one.

I'm definitely leaning one way over the other.

Cruise #1...10 day Alaska r/t SF in May 2017

Emerald mini-suite

No airfare- 30 minute drive to port

***The convenience***

Cruise #2... 7 day Alaska r/t Seattle in May 2017

Vista Suite

with Princess EZ air

***The Suite perks***

The suite on Ruby, is actually less than the mini on the Grand.

This is my Retirement cruise:)

Hmmm- I guess it boils down to which you would prefer, the suite perks, or the three extra sea days. I've been in a suite once, and it was lovely, and this was before the breakfast in Sabatinis, which would make it that much nicer, but I've become so used to longer cruises, and so a seven day cruise is just so short right now. Between a mini and a suite, and no air vs air, I'd probably go for the longer cruise, and forget the suite perks.

Edited by friend of Eeyore
Rewording

I would go for cruise #1 simply because it is longer. The more time I spend on a ship the happier I am.

We prefer the 10 day also...usually!

That dang Suite is like a lure.

I know DH prefers driving to the port vs flying to it.

The 10 day out of SF. We have done that one twice. This year we took the Ruby out of Seattle. 7 days was way too short. No time to enjoy the ship at all.

Cheers, Denise

Thanks Denise...

SF is always our first choice...just like you:)

Nancy, two questions come to mind:

1. Do you plan to cruise and/or vacation a lot after retirement? If you go on three or four cruises a year, those three days mean less (at least to me). If a cruise is rare, then making it last is important.

2. Have you ever cruised in a suite before? If not, this seems like a good time to try it, and make your retirement cruise memorable. We had never had a suite and took an upsell last year and were really glad we did. Things like breakfast at Sabatini's and the free laundry perk are awfully nice. Oh, and having real balcony furniture is amazing, if you're a balcony lover.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

Nancy, two questions come to mind:

1. Do you plan to cruise and/or vacation a lot after retirement? If you go on three or four cruises a year, those three days mean less (at least to me). If a cruise is rare, then making it last is important.

2. Have you ever cruised in a suite before? If not, this seems like a good time to try it, and make your retirement cruise memorable. We had never had a suite and took an upsell last year and were really glad we did. Things like breakfast at Sabatini's and the free laundry perk are awfully nice. Oh, and having real balcony furniture is amazing, if you're a balcony lover.

Jim

Well...

I pretty sure we'll still be able to cruise at least once a year after I retire.

In a suite...no way.

I was thinking this will probably be our only shot at it...the Suite life for 7 days.

Alaska either way will be great.

Thanks for your input Jim:)

I would take the Seattle cruise, but I have already done the San Francisco to Alaska cruise three times.

IMHO, the Ruby is a much nicer ship than the Grand, and to stay in a suite would be fabulous.

Southwest, Alaska, and many other airlines have cheap flights to Seattle. I fly for free with my Southwest points all the time, so I wouldn't let a flight bother me.

You can always fly in a couple of days before the cruise and tour around Seattle. They have a great rapid transit system. We didn't even need to rent a car the last time we were there.

Most important, enjoy your retirement and congratulations to you.

I would take the 10-day cruise and use what you save by not having to fly to the embarkation port to upgrade to a suite if any are still available.

+1

Only downside is no Thermal Suite (a Suite perk) on the Grand.

There is no Sabatini's on Ruby anymore.