What would you do...

timetobook

I have a FCD on both right now.

A suite on the Grand is $1575.00pp more than the suite on the 7 day...that's out.

Most of the suites are gone on the 10 day...probably no upsell offer in the future.

I think I'll zap the 7 day and enjoy 10 days in our Emerald mini.

Besides...Yalcin our favorite Assistant Head Waiter takes very good care of us when we sail with him on the Grand:) Lets hope he doesn't get another assignment.

Thank you all very much for your input:)

Another vote for the 10-day from me. For me, the suite perks aren't worth giving up an extra three days at sea. And the added bonus of not having to worry about flying to the embarkation city puts it over the top for me.

Regardless on which one you choose, happy retirement and I hope you have a fantastic celebration cruise.

In figuring the price of the 7 day have you figured in the cost of transportation to and from Seattle in your comparison with the 10 day cruise that you can drive to. I would take the 10 day everytime. Think of all the extras you can take in a car vice flying. And how much you can bring back. Yep driving is a no brainer.

As much as I am really not a fan of the Grand Princess, I would choose the 10 day out of SF instead. Why? The Grand is going through a dry dock in December of this year so she would be in pretty good shape. Next up, no flight = no brainer!! Finally, it is Alaska and the Ruby doesn't have an indoor pool, which is a must for us in Alaska. Maybe not so much for you....but if it is, that might be a big consideration.

The Emerald Deck mini-suites are great and if you get one of the end ones all the way aft, you'll get a super sized balcony.

As much as I am really not a fan of the Grand Princess, I would choose the 10 day out of SF instead. Why? The Grand is going through a dry dock in December of this year so she would be in pretty good shape. Next up, no flight = no brainer!! Finally, it is Alaska and the Ruby doesn't have an indoor pool, which is a must for us in Alaska. Maybe not so much for you....but if it is, that might be a big consideration.

The Emerald Deck mini-suites are great and if you get one of the end ones all the way aft, you'll get a super sized balcony.

You nailed it on all those points...

Yes we did get one of the end ones E728:)

**Not worried about Vista below us**

Thank you for the input!

We decided on the 10 day in the Emerald Mini... on the Grand.

Sea days, no flying and Sip n Sail makes for a great Retirement Cruise:)

Thank you all very much!

Take me, please, take me!!!!!! I promise, I'll be good!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

We are also fans of a longer cruise, and since retirement they are easier to fit into our lives.

2 other things:

- No one has mentioned sailing out of the SF Bay under the Golden Gate Bridge, yet I've seen posts that it is a not to be missed event. It is on my bucket list (and I grew up in SF).

- The suite cabin may be a favorable cost, but what about the bottom line cost including airfare? That may tip the balance back toward the 10 day cruise, especially if you figure a cost per day for the entire cruise + cost.

Whichever way you choose, Happy Retirement!!!

We have been in every catagory except a full suite. We don't have a strong desire to sail is a suite, but we are curious. We would go with 10 days in a mini and no flying. I have toured Princess suites and they were not that much nicer than a mini. Breakfast in Sabatini's is tempting (but room service is great...and with a view from your balcony). I would also be very tempted if I thought it was my only chance for a suite. Also, the standard balcony furniture is not very nice on Princess anymore, so if you expect to lounge on your balcony, a suite could be better. But Alaska is more for sitting than lounging, so I think the standard furniture would work.

I don't like to fly more often than I need to. This would be the deciding factor for me. Flying introduces potential risk (these days) and certain hassle. I often pick up a cold when I fly. Ten extra days cruising also sounds good. We find there is a big difference in a 10-day vs 7-day cruise and rarely book cruises less than 10 days anymore.

I believe the main benefit to a suite on Princess is Sabatini's. Don't forget, you get a tub in a mini suite on Princess, this is not true on most other lines. So Princess minis are very ice.

So I agree with your ultimate choice. Have a great retirement cruise!

Edited by Loreni

We are also fans of a longer cruise, and since retirement they are easier to fit into our lives.

2 other things:

- No one has mentioned sailing out of the SF Bay under the Golden Gate Bridge, yet I've seen posts that it is a not to be missed event. It is on my bucket list (and I grew up in SF).

- The suite cabin may be a favorable cost, but what about the bottom line cost including airfare? That may tip the balance back toward the 10 day cruise, especially if you figure a cost per day for the entire cruise + cost.

Whichever way you choose, Happy Retirement!!!

Thank you...

We've sailed out under the GGB a few times now...it never gets old.

We are very fortunate indeed to have Princess in SF!

Another vote for the 10-day. A poster (above) says Ruby doesnt have Sabatini's anymore (no personal experience here), so there is one big strike against the available suite perks. Add the lack of indoor pool and the flight and the fewer days aboard -- I'd go with the mini and ENJOY!

Another vote for the 10-day. A poster (above) says Ruby doesnt have Sabatini's anymore (no personal experience here), so there is one big strike against the available suite perks. Add the lack of indoor pool and the flight and the fewer days aboard -- I'd go with the mini and ENJOY!

That's the plan:)

Thank you!

We decided on the 10 day in the Emerald Mini... on the Grand.

Sea days, no flying and Sip n Sail makes for a great Retirement Cruise:)

Thank you all very much!

Great choice!! Enjoy your cruise and retirement!!:):):)