SeaDream for Honeymoon??

caviargal

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and have just begun researching SeaDream. The reports on this board are really inconsistent (yes caviar, but no longer complimentary, yes to kids which was a surprise).

For those who have been on SD in the Med, what was the passenger component? Were there many children in the summer months? I really prefer to travel with as few kids as possible and the literature for SD emphasizes "55 couples" so this really got me thinking.

I would imagine that on a small ship, an ill behaved child would be even more annoying than on a mega-liner and frankly am surprised that parents would choose such a ship for a family vacation.

I am looking at late May and early June for a romantic holiday and am wondering if anyone can offer an opinion on whether we will be likely to have families aboard?

I am going to contact SD directly about the mixed information re the caviar policy (as you can see from my screen name, caviar is quite special to me) and some of the other topics on this board.

Radisson is my other option as I need a 7 night cruise and have had good experiences with the line.

Thanks!

CG

Listen, I have been on SeaDream 1 and 2 many times any had no problems with KIDS....If you do not go sailing during a time when our little sweet well behaved youngsters are out from school...I know that SeaDream does not discount for kids, (not that that would stop the typical guest) but this really should not be a problem. If you are on your Honeymoon, your mind should not be on someone elses KIDS anyway....And as far as the Caviar goes, it is there at all of the main shipboard events but I guess we have all taken advantage of the term "Unlimited" . I know that the price has really gone up at my Caviar shop and it seems that there is a shortage worldwide....I guess all the prior guests on SeaDream ate it all up....

You will have a FANTASTIC Honeymoon with the greatest service afloat..

Congradulations and go enjoy...it's the best...

:D

Lux

Welcome to the boards Caviargirl!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon.

Will check out the caviar situation in 9 days:p

I think Luxury Traveler has answered your questions but if you have more please ask away.

Dear Caviargirl,

My husband and I were on SeaDream II in the Mediterranean last July. We had one child on board and he was great. There were at least two honeymoon couples. One I recall had luggage problems and did not receive theirs until 3 days into the cruise. Did not seem to bother them one bit.

You can't get more romantic than Italy on a yacht. I say "Go For It".

Hope this helps,

Lisa

(ie. caviar and champagne girl...)

you all seem to miss one point about kids- they are kids

I don't care how well behaved, adorable and smart a child is, he or she is still a child and I don't want to monitor my behavior or conversation to make sure I am not offensive or inappropriate in presence of the little darling.

Adult time is not children's time, if you want to include children, make sure they are at children's activities, not adult.

The two voyages that we have sailed with Sea Dream have each had two or three young teenagers. Without exception, they were quietier, more discreet, and better behaved than a number of the adults. None of them, for instance, felt compelled to be shouting into their cellphones telling their friends how great the cruise was... none of them had too much alcohol and let their rising voices annoy their fellow passengers.

Often it is the adults whe need to monitor their behavior or conversation to make sure they are not offensive or inappropriate in presence of the other passengers, not the children.

Hello all, I have been looking through some of the postings and was wondering if you y'all can give me some advice. My husband and I are going on SDII St. Thomas-St. Thomas on 12/11-12/18 for our ten year wedding anniversary. We have had to postpone this celebration due to health and other recent issues, but we are ready to go now!!!!! We are really in need of relaxation, champagne and pleasure and would like to receive any advice or input prior to our sailing. For instance, are there plenty of Deck chairs/beds onboard? How about sleeping on deck at night? The Spa sounds wonderful, are these treatments an additional cost? How about shore excursions are they typically worth it? Is privacy and peace and quiet easy to find?

Can't wait to drink in the champagne and sun?

Champagne Lady ... I think I answered most of your questions on the other thread:)

Yes, spa treatments are extra. The rates are about what you would find on land at a nice spa.

DH and I tend to venture out on our own so I really can't comment on the excursions. We did rent a car in St. Barts through the ship and that worked wonderfully.

Peace and Privacy are easy to find ... Some evenings DH and I would dine alone and other evenings we would dine with two or three other couples ... depended on our mood. Lots of places on deck as well.

Congratulations!

Hi caviargal

FT and I (she is the lucky one on the crossing this week) and I have been to all of the islands on your cruise with SD except St. John. We have been to St. John on our own.

I think on St. John you will do fine if you go off on your own, especially if you like to swim or snorkel.

St. Martin we took the trip to Orient Beach (WAIKIKI BEACH TRANSFER) one year. Not great, not bad. FT would probably say not worth the effort. SD usually is scheduled to anchor at Marigot, but we always have ended up in Phillipsburg. We have not been to Marigot, but I suspect that it is a lovely place. A lot of people with us th efirst time we were there went on the AMERICA'S CUP 12-METER REGATTA excursion and really enjoyed the event. Last year we simply went into town to the beach and then shopped a bit.

On St. Barts I think the car reantal option is really great. A day is plenty of time to see the bulk of the island and youcan set your own pace.

Isle des Saintes had no organized tour when we were there. The cruise director took a number of us on a walk over a hill to a beach on the other side of the island. We enjoyed the beach and the snorkeling because it was anice protected bay.

On Virgin Gorada, if you haven't been and can take a hike up and down the hill the Baths have to be seen. Second time there we stayed on board until the ship repositioned and then went in to the Bitter End Yacht Club to swim and go to the beach. It is a nice resort that can only be reached by boat. Very welcoming.

On Jost van Dyke (You'll probably be there in time for everyone to go to Foxy's the night before the schedule says you'll be there) you will have your Cavier Splash. Nothing to do but take the Zodiac to the beach and enjoy!

Hope this helps!

Champagne Lady,

We are on the Nov. 27 SDI from St. Thomas to St. Martin. Regarding your spa question. SeaDream had a promotion going that gave you four 50 minute spa treatments for only $199. I would call your TA or SeaDream and ask if this is still available. It's a great deal. If I remember correctly from last year an hour massage is $80 and up.

Lisa

Spa treatments are great -- I live in an area without a Thai spa and would love to open one based on the Sea Dream services I just experienced. A 50 minute Swedish massage is $110. Even if you don't buy the 4 services for $199 package, there are also on board packages. I ended my most recent cruise with an approximate $190 2 hr + package (I was so relaxed I don't remember the exact cost or time) consisting of a body moisturizing wrap, massage, and facial. :)

With respect to deck chairs, never a problem, though on my recent cruise, a group of international travelers would get up early to reserve poolside chairs. We never had a problem with this in the past so maybe it was just on this Atlantic crossing.

the whole issue of kids puts me off on a tangent. Watching a 3 year old run around loose on deck while his mother reads a magazine is not my idea of a relaxing vacation. Sea Dream's policy does permit a 3rd and 4th passenger in a room, subject to age restrictions. After the trip I lovingly refer to as the "trip from he_ _" last year, Sea Dream did change its pricing such that it is no longer so inexpensive to take children on the ship. I'll be interested to hear from future travelers about the impact and will be on SeaDream II the week before Easter again this year to see if its gotten better.

With respect to celebrating a special occasion on board, let your chief steward and his assistant know. Private dinners on deck are no problem depending on weather and you will love the atmosphere.

From being one of the harshest critics of Sea Dream last year after our nightmare cruise I have become an avid promoter again -- the Sea Dream experience (as it was intended to be, without children) is like no other.

FT

Archived