Computer game addicted husband

Loodlow

I have booked a 7 day cruise for my husband, myself and my husbands parents. He is a home body, and plays games on his phone and ipad several hours a day. He plays clash of clans and candy crush. He also plays fantasy football. My question is, will the internet package you can buy for facebook be strong enough to support these apps?

I agree a seven day break from electronics would be best, but I also know my cruise will be much more enjoyable if he has that access!:D:D:D

I've heard that it can be pretty slow.

Probably wouldn't be a good idea.

But I hope he finds new ways to enjoy his vacation. I spend a lot of time in areas with no cell coverage and have looked for games that don't require internet connection to play.

Candy crush will work even without internet at all - you just won't be able to send and receive gifts from friends. If you progress in the game it will all be synced up when you get back to land and have internet again.

I don't think the lowest internet package will help you with Clash or Fantasy football. I sometimes have issues loading Clash with my 150meg connection at home. Also I think the lowest package only allows connections to a very few things - imessage, facebook, and a few others. It's not access to the entire WWW.

The middle one might do - you can always get on-board, buy the middle one and try to manage your team or clash and if it is too slow it's pretty easy to upgrade to the next. (You can buy any of the packages for a day so if it turns out no good, you only lose a day instead of paying for the whole week)

Depending on your service provider, you might get some ok connections in port cities - With my T-Mobile I got 2g/3g speeds in Belize and Cozumel and I don't get charged any extra for that. It was enough for texting with my daughter at home and posting a few pictures to Facebook. Oh and a pokemanz or two lol.

I like to crush candy at night before I got to sleep. That candy had it coming!

My husband and I have played clash of clans for 2 years now. We were able to play on our cruise without a problem. We didn't buy the weekly package.. just would buy 30 min worth check our collectors and stuff and be done. So I am sure your husband will not have a problem.

My husband and I have played clash of clans for 2 years now. We were able to play on our cruise without a problem. We didn't buy the weekly package.. just would buy 30 min worth check our collectors and stuff and be done. So I am sure your husband will not have a problem.

ahh good to know! Thanks!

You can't purchase internet access by the minute any longer. You have to purchase one of the tier internet packages for either the entire day or cruise.

My brother-in-law was playing Candy Crush and Clash of Clans (not sure about Fantasy Football though) on our sailing in March, he didn't have any complaints, but noticed a difference in speeds at different times of the day. By the 3rd day he stopped though, so much to do on board :)

Edited by Dearabby_84

I have booked a 7 day cruise for my husband, myself and my husbands parents. He is a home body, and plays games on his phone and ipad several hours a day. He plays clash of clans and candy crush. He also plays fantasy football. My question is, will the internet package you can buy for facebook be strong enough to support these apps?

I agree a seven day break from electronics would be best, but I also know my cruise will be much more enjoyable if he has that access!:D:D:D

No one directly answered your football question, so here goes. I am a huge footbal fan and play FanDuel and bet NFl through a sports book in Costa Rica. CCL shuts out all gambling sites. i went to guest services and they confirmed this to be true. I had to make Fan Duel and football bets at internet cafes on shore or my phone with an AT&T signal. I never play video games but the connection, even the top tier, is very slow.

No one directly answered your football question, so here goes. I am a huge footbal fan and play FanDuel and bet NFl through a sports book in Costa Rica. CCL shuts out all gambling sites. i went to guest services and they confirmed this to be true. I had to make Fan Duel and football bets at internet cafes on shore or my phone with an AT&T signal. I never play video games but the connection, even the top tier, is very slow.

I think they are just doing regular fantasy football - if through a Yahoo league hubby may even have an app but you could get to the site and manage your team through the web too (although it is a pita on a phone. Tablet might be better). This wouldn't be betting like Fanduel does. I'm in 2 or 3 leagues every year and the only money involved is the 1 league with my friends where we pay an entry fee and whoever wins the season gets the pot. Second place gets entry fee back. 3rd place and down get laughed at. I get laughed at a lot. :/

I haven't been on a cruise during football season yet but I am sure the bandwidth needed to set your lineup would be minimal. If they can get to yahoo.com or espn.com (or whatever site they have their leagues in) they should be able to do the fantasy football tasks required.

I play A LOT of those same games and I would say that the minimal internet is a good buy just for Fantasy Football and it will do the job. My last cruise I got the 2nd tier and was able to get push notification from each game and I was able to change my line ups and I even made a trade.