Unlimited Drink Packages POA???

SMerritt

The UBP is not available on POA, but I assume that the soda package is. Others have reported that it does not show up on MyNCL for advance purchase, but it can be purchased on board.

It was back in 2009 when I did the POA and they had the soda package then. That said, there sure has been a lot of changes since then :)

You might be able to call NCL and get the soda package added either through a phone rep or the bon voyage dept. As others have said, you're out of luck for any alcohol.

Thanks Dev and everyone, :)

Finally got the soda package to pop-up

Was hoping to get the "special" package they have for virgin drinks etc.

Called NCL twice - so far, one NCL rep was clueless, next rep told me they haven't had it in YEARS.........funny, just had it less than 6 months ago on the Escape...:rolleyes:

I guess I will wait until we board - we are in the Haven so hoping for a creative concierge or butler

We don't drink alcohol anymore so, really not a huge deal, just had fun with the virgin "foofy" drinks

Thanks Dev and everyone, :)

Finally got the soda package to pop-up

Was hoping to get the "special" package they have for virgin drinks etc.

Called NCL twice - so far, one NCL rep was clueless, next rep told me they haven't had it in YEARS.........funny, just had it less than 6 months ago on the Escape...:rolleyes:

I guess I will wait until we board - we are in the Haven so hoping for a creative concierge or butler

We don't drink alcohol anymore so, really not a huge deal, just had fun with the virgin "foofy" drinks

The POA doesn't have a Haven.

Hawaii law prohibits selling "an unlimited quantity of liquor during any set period of time for a fixed price." This includes the sale of alcoholic beverage packages on cruise ships.

That doesn't seem to stop "booze cruises" off the beach.

Edited by pspercy

That doesn't seem to stop "booze cruises" off the beach.

I have studied the Hawaii liquor laws, and there is a fine distinction. The "booze cruises" have an "open bar", so everyone pays for all the drinks in advance. The "beverage package" is optional for those on POA, and is advertised as unlimited drinks, while the "open bar" does not. The restriction is on "advertising" or "selling" the unlimited amount of alcohol. An open bar does not imply unlimited drinks.

Ask your butler for a blender, ice, and some mixers. They can generally provide strawberry stuff and you could add bananas and such. Get creative!

Edited by cml4958

I have studied the Hawaii liquor laws, and there is a fine distinction. The "booze cruises" have an "open bar", so everyone pays for all the drinks in advance. The "beverage package" is optional for those on POA, and is advertised as unlimited drinks, while the "open bar" does not. The restriction is on "advertising" or "selling" the unlimited amount of alcohol. An open bar does not imply unlimited drinks.
I saw your message about this on another thread (thanks for sharing your research). I think the loophole is that they can claim that they're not selling the alcohol at all; they're selling a boat ride and the bar on board is free. It makes me think that the Open Bar offer on Norwegian Sky would be legal in Hawaii. It would be harder to do this in a bar on land, unless you had live music or something (then you could claim you were charging people for the music, and then giving them free alcohol during the show). But all of this clearly violates the spirit of the law you cited (which is to prohibit "practices to promote excessive consumption of liquor").

I saw your message about this on another thread (thanks for sharing your research). I think the loophole is that they can claim that they're not selling the alcohol at all; they're selling a boat ride and the bar on board is free. It makes me think that the Open Bar offer on Norwegian Sky would be legal in Hawaii. It would be harder to do this in a bar on land, unless you had live music or something (then you could claim you were charging people for the music, and then giving them free alcohol during the show). But all of this clearly violates the spirit of the law you cited (which is to prohibit "practices to promote excessive consumption of liquor").

Yes, from the wording of the law, I also believe that if NCL had an open bar like the Sky, it would be legal. Because everyone gets the open bar, they are not promoting excessive consumption by offering a package with more liquor for a lower price.

Edited by chengkp75

OOPS! You are right - How about Haven-Like Suite Amenities? :D

Have a nice trip in a few days. BTW - it sounds like the concierge is either James or Thomas. We had Thomas and he was a nice guy and helpful in anyway that he could help.

The crew overall was great and they too would ask questions and provide insight to the islands. If you like pizza the pizza in the buffet was great - like wood fired.

Have a nice trip in a few days. BTW - it sounds like the concierge is either James or Thomas. We had Thomas and he was a nice guy and helpful in anyway that he could help.

The crew overall was great and they too would ask questions and provide insight to the islands. If you like pizza the pizza in the buffet was great - like wood fired.

James hasn't retired yet?:D This is our third cruise on the POA and he has been on his "last cruise" for years! James is GREAT!

I am hoping Chris is our butler again - he added so much to our cruises.

Yep - the crew is the BEST!

TY for the pizza tip:)