Beacon Hill Park, Victoria

I've been to Victoria several times and always do the usual things. This time, when I got off the ship, instead of walking left to the inner harbor area, I turned right and walked along the cliffs, then the beach, then to Beacon Hill Park.

The cliff walkway gives a beautiful view of the water and mountains across the way in the distance. At regular intervals there are stairs that take you down to the inlets along the water. The beaches are pebble beaches with drift wood scattered about, and not crowded at all - I saw one or two locals walking their dogs, and one inlet had a group of summer camp kids having lunch. You can walk along the beach for as long as you want, and then just take the stairs back up to the cliff walkway.

Clover Point is a good destination (I'm not sure how far Clover Point is from the ship) - it's a point that juts out into the water a bit more than the rest of the walk. You can see birds, tide pools, and lots of drift wood making its way to shore.

Along the way you can meander through Beacon Hill Park. It's a fairly large city park with ponds populated with ducks and other water foul, a petting zoo, a play ground, beautiful gardens, playing fields (soccer, cricket, and baseball) and walking paths.

And all of this at no cost!!!

Yes, this sounds lovely and is a good walk for a reasonably fit person. I would also note to not be in the park after dark for all the usual reasons. ;)

We used to live in Victoria and when we went back there last year on our Alaska cruise, we walked and walked - it was wonderful. We found our old apartment buildings, walked to Rogers Chocolates and got a box to bring home, walked to a Caribbean restaurant for dinner (chicken roti - YUM!)... it was absolutely lovely. I enjoyed living in Victoria until I didn't anymore :o .... but it's always nice to go back.