How busy is the laundry area

t&c_traveling

We were on that cruise in July on the Viking Sea. I would say it was fairly busy. I avoided doing laundry on the one sea day, as I figured that would be the busiest time. I went in the day after, in the afternoon, and had no problem. However, other folks came in after me and had to come back. There are only 3 washers and 3 driers in each laundry room. I think it just depends on your timing.

We were on that cruise in July on the Viking Sea. I would say it was fairly busy. I avoided doing laundry on the one sea day, as I figured that would be the busiest time. I went in the day after, in the afternoon, and had no problem. However, other folks came in after me and had to come back. There are only 3 washers and 3 driers in each laundry room. I think it just depends on your timing.

Agreed. It just depends on your timing. Except on sea days when you are pretty sure it will be busy, it is hard to predict.

Also note that since the laundry rooms do not adjoin any of the staterooms, you don't have to worry about disturbing the neighbors.

BTW, the washing machine dispenses its own detergent. You don't have to worry about bringing it from home. On the other hand, if allergies are an issue, you cannot use your own detergent.

Thank you for the responses. Is there a time frame that it is open? Can you do it late at night?

We were on the Star Viking Homelands that completed 2 wks ago. I found that targeting meal times and/or being prepared with a book to read while waiting (couch and TV in the room) worked well. Was able to do three batches of laundry. You can usually use one dryer for 2 wash loads btw. We could have packed 1/2 as much as we did. Came home with clothes never worn at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Star Viking Homelands that completed 2 wks ago. I found that targeting meal times and/or being prepared with a book to read while waiting (couch and TV in the room) worked well. Was able to do three batches of laundry. You can usually use one dryer for 2 wash loads btw. We could have packed 1/2 as much as we did. Came home with clothes never worn at all.

We are going on this cruise but in June. Wondering about weather so as to take too many clothes. Was any weather guide helpful? What would you not take again?

We are going on this cruise but in June. Wondering about weather so as to take too many clothes. Was any weather guide helpful? What would you not take again?

Packed too many shorts. Had one pair of jeans;

would have appreciated one more esp since the jeans were what I wore on the flight to Oslo. And then got to wear for the next 5 days. Norway was colder and rainier than I expected. June might be worse. Once we got to Denmark things improved but not quite enough. I started wearing shorts either in Berlin or Gdansk. Was able to switch between 2 pairs of cargo shorts I prefer over the other 2 I'd packed but never wore. However, going by the experience I had in Berlin in June last year (travel for work) don't count on warm weather in June there either (had been there, again for work, 2 yrs before in June and it'd been great! Imagine my surprise when it wasn't last year! It was in the 40s and 50s! Not shorts for sure!

Re weather guides I'd been tracking all the cities we were going to using the Weather app on my iPhone setting it up to display all the VH ports. Maybe I saw the rain but ignored the bad news.

Still - we did well in Oslo. Very pleasant. Also our first day in Bergen; not so the 2nd day. Flåm was overcast and rainy all the while we were there but changed to sunny and great as we cruised down the Fjord. Stavanger stayed overcast and some rain the entire time. Coming round the point heading for Ålborg in the morning was delightful. Got some great pix of that.

Anyway - am sure you'll love your cruise. We certainly did.

Leaving the Sea tomorrow. Washed clothes twice on board .... Once on arrival, then 6 days later. Late at nite (10pm) or early (6-6.30am) didn't have an issue. Cycle 45 mins; Dry 35 mins seemed enough. As a courtesy to other pax, I made sure I was around at the 45/35 min periods so as not to delay next person. Not everyone was that considerate.

Are there ironing boards and a iron in the laundry rooms?

I am going to love having a self service laundry on board.

I can then pack for 7 days even though I am traveling for 18 days with my cruise.

On Celebrity, I had to budget laundry prices into my trip.

Are there ironing boards and a iron in the laundry rooms?

I am going to love having a self service laundry on board.

I can then pack for 7 days even though I am traveling for 18 days with my cruise.

On Celebrity, I had to budget laundry prices into my trip.

There are 2 ironing boards with irons. I used the ironing board to fold our clothes which is what I've done for years here at home. A normal wash load takes about 40 min and the dryer about the same or a little less.

Edited by CharTrav

Leaving the Sea tomorrow. Washed clothes twice on board .... Once on arrival, then 6 days later. Late at nite (10pm) or early (6-6.30am) didn't have an issue. Cycle 45 mins; Dry 35 mins seemed enough. As a courtesy to other pax, I made sure I was around at the 45/35 min periods so as not to delay next person. Not everyone was that considerate.

Sorry i didn't read your note before I wrote my reply. I found that most of the folks were quite considerate. We helped each other, taking note of which machines were going to be available soon.

There are 2 ironing boards with irons. I used the ironing board to fold our clothes which is what I've done for years here at home. A normal wash load takes about 40 min and the dryer about the same or a little less.

Great news! Thanks.

Does anyone know if you can use your own detergent in

the washing machines bypassing the automatic laundry

dispenser.

Thank you

No, you cannot. Sorry. But, if you are concerned about allergies, I use non-perfumed detergent at home, as both my husband and I are sensitive to that, and I didn't notice an issue with our clothes I washed onboard the Star.

Becki

Edited by rjscott

To clarify the detergent question - on the Star in March the detergent was automatically added so you could not omit that or use your own. However, on the Sea in August, the detergent addition was not automatic; you had to push a button on the dispenser. There was an added note to that effect on the instruction sheet on the wall. Some people did not discover that until they had 'washed' their clothes with nothing! Don't know if the process has been revised on the Star.

To clarify the detergent question - on the Star in March the detergent was automatically added so you could not omit that or use your own. However, on the Sea in August, the detergent addition was not automatic; you had to push a button on the dispenser. There was an added note to that effect on the instruction sheet on the wall. Some people did not discover that until they had 'washed' their clothes with nothing! Don't know if the process has been revised on the Star.

When I was on the Star last month detergent was dispensed automatically.

Sent from my iPad using Forums