Bummed I have to cancel today.

Trust me! I'm with you guys here. Maybe I just needed to vent because I didn't want to feel like such an insensitive jerk for wanting to go without my wife :).

Insurance did not cover, and of course carnival is not budging, so a $1300 lesson it is.

I didn't cancel two days ago because contractions started, and I thought "MAYBE WE WILL MAKE IT"

I gambled and lost.

Ugh!!! This is horrible news!!!:mad::mad:

Sorry this happened to you, but you seem to have a good attitude about it.

Not trying to blame anybody.......

Did you ask Carnival if you could transfer the booking to another sailing?

I hope you guys are able to cruise again, and SOON!!!:D:D

P.S. And YIKES!!!! I don't know what's worse.......missing the cruise, or being in labor for 48 hours :o

Edited by KPfromCT

I asked carnival to switch to another sailing. No dice. Even offered to go longer and at a higher category.

The worst part....her sister is not even in labor yet.

Seriously? I don't think I'd be as nice about this as you are. I'd be telling her to pack her bags and go live somewhere else (like her sister). She isn't respecting you or your finances at this point. Her sister clearly is more important than you.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

I asked carnival to switch to another sailing. No dice. Even offered to go longer and at a higher category.

The worst part....her sister is not even in labor yet.

Ughhhhhhh!!!!!:mad:

How does your wife feel about this whole thing?

I am sure she's not THRILLED she is missing her cruise.

Did she feel like she HAD to stay for the birth?

Did she tell you to go without her?

Again, I am sorry this happened to you.

But, $1300 is not HORRIBLE. For us, it would be like 4K:eek::eek:

And in that case, I'd see the baby when we got back. lol:D:D

Seriously? I don't think I'd be as nice about this as you are. I'd be telling her to pack her bags and go live somewhere else (like her sister). She isn't respecting you or your finances at this point. Her sister clearly is more important than you.

A tad bit harsh, no?

Clearly they made this decision as a COUPLE, because he did not go.

Don't go judging others...

Maybe she PROMISED her sister she'd be there for her......

We don't know the details......

I can kind of understand your wife not going is this your SILs first baby? And is this your wifes little sister? Maybe she has a mama bear thing going on. But you gotta clue us in on why you didn't go? Did she insist you stay home too? That's the impression I'm getting. That she decided to stay and you dang sure better not go without there. Whoa wait that is the point I'd call foul.

She has every right to stay home for her sisters baby, I'd support that but insisting you stay home and miss vacation for her choice to stay is not ok. Sorry no that's where it crosses the line and I would feel the same if the husband chose to stay home to go to a playoff game with the guys and wouldn't allow the wife to go on the vacation without him or whatever scenario it was. If the spouse doesn't want to go on vacation alone and chooses to also stay home then that's another story but if they are manipulated into staying home by a demanding my way or the highway spouse, nope not ok.

A tad bit harsh, no?

Clearly they made this decision as a COUPLE, because he did not go.

Don't go judging others...

Maybe she PROMISED her sister she'd be there for her......

We don't know the details......

No, not harsh at all. It's clearly my opinion and I'm not judging... I'm just saying what i would think and do if that were me. He doesn't exactly sound thrilled with the decision. If there was a logical reason for this I think he would have shared it with us. I could have said a lot more about her behavior (but then that would be judging) so i did not. You need to learn the difference between a differing opinion and judging.

Edited by sherilyn70

She isn't respecting you or your finances at this point. Her sister clearly is more important than you.

Really? Do you KNOW them? Do you KNOW their finances? You ARE judging them.

Maybe $1300.00 to them is a pisshole in the snow.......

Maybe it means NOTHING to them.....

You have NO idea.

Maybe she told him up front if the cruise interferes with the birth then I am not going, and he agreed, thinking that would NEVER happen.

But guess what? It did!!!!

Again, he said it.......he gambled and he lost.....

Live and learn.

But it was THEIR decision....

Yeah, the thing is, I didn't want to go without her and my son. She never told me to stay home, but I would have felt awful leaving her, so that part is on me.

I guess I just feel that we should have gotten on the boat. It's her sister's first baby, so she just wants to be there.

You're a keeper!!!;)

Are you guys going to rebook? I hope so!!!!!

Any labor/contractions yet?:D:D

We have one booked for November with some other friends, but I'm so aggravated that they didn't help out today, that I almost want to cancel that one and change allegiances to Royal. I just keep reminding myself that it was not carnivals fault. That doesn't mean that I don't think they could have helped out, but it's not their fault.

Edited by Letmelivehereplease

Yeah, the thing is, I didn't want to go without her and my son. She never told me to stay home, but I would have felt awful leaving her, so that part is on me.

I guess I just feel that we should have gotten on the boat. It's her sister's first baby, so she just wants to be there.

Brother I truly feel for ya. If venting here helps you not vent there, then vent away. That will make your life easier down the road for sure lol.

Type in all caps and call us names if you gotta - the important thing is your wife knows you're on her side and that's all that matters.

Hope you get on a boat soon!

Brother I truly feel for ya. If venting here helps you not vent there, then vent away. That will make your life easier down the road for sure lol.

Type in all caps and call us names if you gotta - the important thing is your wife knows you're on her side and that's all that matters.

Hope you get on a boat soon!

You get it man.

I just need somewhere to scream today, and Internet strangers seem like a better choice rather than my wife or son. Hahaha

I am beyond ticked, but what can I do, ya know??

Edited by Letmelivehereplease

OK, would have thought you might have moved your cruise date long ago instead of taking a chance this late on insurance covering this reason for cancelling - unless money is no object.

Why do you have to cancel??????????

You have to consider Carnivals side in this. You cancelled so late that if they moved your money to another cruise you would come out even but they would lose money. They can't re-rent your room at this point, it's too late. So they zero choice in the matter. They don't even have the chance to recoup the money on your room. They have to let it sit empty for the sailing. You can't expect them to eat that loss just because your wife and you chose (don't forget YOU chose, you may not be happy with your choice but you made it), to stay home.

At this point I would just be hoping that the baby comes before you'd be back anyways or that would be salt in the wound lol

I have a feeling your insurance will not cover you on this, if you or your wife had a medical emergency (pregnancy, surgery, etc.) then it absolutely would be covered. But the reason you are missing the cruise is because someone who has nothing to do with the cruise is delivering, so the insurance company is going to view that as "your choice to miss" and probably won't cover it.

I agree with you 100% on this--unless he has "cancel for any reason."

Trust me! I'm with you guys here. Maybe I just needed to vent because I didn't want to feel like such an insensitive jerk for wanting to go without my wife :).

IMHO, your wife is the one who is insensitive here. You, her husband should come before any family member. The baby will just be beginning his/her life. You may not have another opportunity to go on another cruise because none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. I wouldn't miss the cruise UNLESS one of our children was sick, died,or on the brink of death.

Insurance did not cover, and of course carnival is not budging, so a $1300 lesson it is.

Well, tell your wife it's going to be a lean Xmas. This is just so wrong in so many ways. Heck, DH wasn't even in the room when I delivered our first child. He about passed out.

I didn't cancel two days ago because contractions started, and I thought "MAYBE WE WILL MAKE IT"

I gambled and lost.

Well, I feel for you, this is not a good thing. I hope it doesn't cause a riff between you and your SIL. You are not the one who is selfish. JMHO.

He did but they have a clause that you have to cancel within 48 hours, he didnt' cancel until 24 hours so no refund.

Yeah, I saw that later on in this thread. I wonder if he has Travel Guard? We have the same clause in our travel policy through Travel Guard.

No one can judge another persons reasons. I think you are a wonderful person for staying home because your wife did not want to leave her sister and a first baby, and also not going without her. Although it may not seem so now, this will be a wonderful story to tell your niece or nephew later in life. Do you know what it cost to see you being born........

No one can judge another persons reasons. I think you are a wonderful person for staying home because your wife did not want to leave her sister and a first baby, and also not going without her. Although it may not seem so now, this will be a wonderful story to tell your niece or nephew later in life. Do you know what it cost to see you being born........

Trust me. He will never live it down.

And listen, my wife is a great woman, she just made a bad call here in my opinion. That bad decision will be confirmed when the kid isn't even here yet by Saturday, our scheduled day to return. She certainly isn't happy by any means that she had to choose to stay back.

All I can do tonight is sit in my room wondering what the other two couples are doing right now. They have probably already eaten a Guy's burger and a chocolate melting cake. Those jerks. Hahah