Bummed I have to cancel today.

Doesn't make sense that insurance would pay $500 pp for something like a missed port. Better share this policy with others so instead of getting about $15 credit back, we can get $485 more !!

If this is the same insurance that I purchased it is Nationwide Cruise Insurance, I purchased mine thr insure my trip. Nationwide officers cruise specific insurance at 3 different levels. I chose the middle level for around 113 for myself age 57 and my 22 year old daughter. The day before our cruise carnival announced we would not be going to Freeport due to Matthew. When I got home I contacted the insurance company and they emailed me a claim form, I gathered all my information they required and emailed it to them the evening of Nov 1. Today when I got the mail, there were 2 separate checks one for me and one for my daughter we each received $750.00 for a change in itinerary. This more than covered our entire cost of our cruise and travel expense. We are using the money to go on the Vista in Jan of 2018. I have never traveled without trip insurance, and definitely will not now!

• 9 months later...

Hey everyone! Me again. I just had to share this because you just won't believe it.

Since my cruise that I canceled a year ago, I had another cruise canceled by Carnival in November on the Liberty when she had her issues.

And that brings us to today. My wife and I were scheduled to leave for Hawaii on September 11. Unfortunately, we have to cancel due to our church flooding in Houston. We are the lead pastors, and we feel it is critical for us to be in this city helping those in need and restoring our church.

Just thought it would be interesting to you guys that followed my saga a year ago! It's crazy. Maybe I'm not supposed to cruise anymore [emoji23]

Hey everyone! Me again. I just had to share this because you just won't believe it.

Since my cruise that I canceled a year ago, I had another cruise canceled by Carnival in November on the Liberty when she had her issues.

And that brings us to today. My wife and I were scheduled to leave for Hawaii on September 11. Unfortunately, we have to cancel due to our church flooding in Houston. We are the lead pastors, and we feel it is critical for us to be in this city helping those in need and restoring our church.

Just thought it would be interesting to you guys that followed my saga a year ago! It's crazy. Maybe I'm not supposed to cruise anymore [emoji23]

I just read through 6 pages to get here! I didn't realize until half-way through that this was last year :) Then I had to keep reading to find out what happened. Prayers for you and your congregants as y'all face the looming challenges before you. And I hope you eventually get to take another cruise - lol!

I just read your notice in the Roll Call. So sorry you've had to cancel and we wish you well in the recovery and clean up in Houston.

Believe me, I understand why you feel like perhaps you aren't meant to cruise anymore. We too had to cancel three cruises in a period of slightly less than two years due to sick elderly parents. We finally booked one and was able to go about 9 months ago. We had a great fine and we have another cruise coming up soon. Moral of the story: Three strikes doesn't always mean you are out. Prayers for all y'all in the Houston area.

That's a bummer. After having to cancel three of our four last cruises, I certainly feel your pain. Unfortunately, you are right. "Cancel for any reason" won't help you, since you canceled less than 2 days before the cruise. If you had flights, you should be able to get future credit for those at least. Also, you will be reimbursed for any gratuities paid for, as well as port taxes. Best wishes on your next cruise. Hopefully, it will work out for you.

Unfortunately, airlines (with the exceptions of Southwest) do NOT give future credit on missed flights...they typically charge a 'Change Fee' of between $200-$250 per ticket to rebook....if your flight was more than the change fee then that $$ is credited to new ticket....but you pay the 'going rate' on the new ticket, too, and if it is more expensive that original ticket, you pay that difference too.....the airlines have the public by the throat!! When we cannot use airline tickets, we NEVER cancel anymore...we are just 'no shows' as we refuse to let the airlines keep our ticket $$ then resell our seats and charge a new pax who books our seats - they are 'double dipping'....so we keep the reservation and just don't show up!!

Unfortunately, airlines (with the exceptions of Southwest) do NOT give future credit on missed flights...they typically charge a 'Change Fee' of between $200-$250 per ticket to rebook....if your flight was more than the change fee then that $$ is credited to new ticket....but you pay the 'going rate' on the new ticket, too, and if it is more expensive that original ticket, you pay that difference too.....the airlines have the public by the throat!! When we cannot use airline tickets, we NEVER cancel anymore...we are just 'no shows' as we refuse to let the airlines keep our ticket $$ then resell our seats and charge a new pax who books our seats - they are 'double dipping'....so we keep the reservation and just don't show up!!
I always fly Southwest and assumed other airlines have the same or similar policy. I should not have assumed. My apologies.

You seriously have bad luck. Living in a Hurricane area too, I know having to dry out, and salvage what you can. All you can do is roll with whatever comes. Sending positive thoughts to everyone in the Houston area.

Trust me. He will never live it down.

And listen, my wife is a great woman, she just made a bad call here in my opinion. That bad decision will be confirmed when the kid isn't even here yet by Saturday, our scheduled day to return. She certainly isn't happy by any means that she had to choose to stay back.

All I can do tonight is sit in my room wondering what the other two couples are doing right now. They have probably already eaten a Guy's burger and a chocolate melting cake. Those jerks. Hahah

deleted ...... sorry about your church and missed cruise!

Sometimes those lessons the Lord gives us in patience are sooo hard! But you and your family will appreciate the next cruise you get to go on so much more because of these cancellations. God bless you and your church in this difficult time, you seem to have such a good attitude, I know you will pull through!

I just read through 6 pages to get here! I didn't realize until half-way through that this was last year :) Then I had to keep reading to find out what happened. Prayers for you and your congregants as y'all face the looming challenges before you. And I hope you eventually get to take another cruise - lol!

Same thing here:D

It's her sister's first baby, so she just wants to be there.

Does her sister want her to be there??? When my sister had her first (and only) baby, she didn't even want our mother there. My sis lives in another state and asked that no one come visit for at least 2 weeks after she had my nephew. She(and her husband) wanted time alone with the baby and wanted to establish a routine at home before they had to share with visitors.

When we cannot use airline tickets, we NEVER cancel anymore...we are just 'no shows' as we refuse to let the airlines keep our ticket $$ then resell our seats and charge a new pax who books our seats - they are 'double dipping'....so we keep the reservation and just don't show up!!

They're still likely reselling your seats, at standby passenger fares.

WOW! Ok, that is 3 cruises that seemed to have divine intervention in deviating you and your wife from getting on a cruise ship :eek:....I am thinking you may want to try land vacations for a while I think...just sayin....

Thoughts and prayers going out to all of you in TX and LA, the pictures are heart wrenching and I feel that deja vu feeling as if I am watching Katrina all over again (for a week this time!!!) 12 years ago....Do you have families in your church that have lost everything or are in need of everyday things that maybe someone could send down?

Pastor it is honorable for u to cancel ur vacation. HOWEVER, u so deserve this vacation. Sept 11 is 2 weeks away. DELEGATE, DELEGATE DELEGATE all task.

Get as much completed b4 u leave, delegate the rest, schedule insurance adjusters and contractors for after you return from vacation.

Pastors work so hard 24/7 you deserve this time to rejuvenate, restore yourself, QT time and minister to your wife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

First of all, my prayers and thoughts are with you, and all your neighbors in Houston.

Secondly, like someone else, I didn't read the year on this post, just the month & day. So I was about to say something was very fishy when I saw you post that you picked up people from Galveston on Aug 27- when we all know that NO cruiseships docked that entire weekend! Then I finally looked closer at the date! :cool:

I'm so sorry that this trip had to be cancelled as well. At first I thought you were going to tell us that you were scheduled this past weekend on one of the cancelled cruises out of Galveston!