Picnic for lunch in Rome

zebra

A question for the picnickers here. We are seniors who would have a hard time getting up and down off the lawn/ground, so we would need benches or steps/walls that we could sit on to eat. We are in Rome on a Sunday and the Vatican is closed (we have been there before) so we will probably NOT be in that area. What would be nice would be able to for us to stop at a small grocery/bakery and pick up bread, cheese, meat and a bottle of wine and enjoy it somewhere pleasant. We will be in the Central Station area.

Another question - would we be able to get plastic glasses for the wine or should we bring our own? (and corkscrew).

Looking forward to the responses and suggestions.

When you say the Central Station area, do you mean near Termini? Or do you mean the Centro Storico, the central historic area (which covers a lot of ground)?

There is a small enclosed archaeological park/garden/courtyard just across the busy street (Viale Enrico di Nicola) from the Piazza dei Cinquecento, which is the area where all the buses pick up and drop off at Termini station. The area is part of the ruins of the Baths of Diocletian, but you do not need a ticket to access it. There are a few benches scattered there. I think I've seen people eating there before. There are a number of shops in Termini station that sell panini or other sandwiches to go, as well as other food. In the arcade facing Termini along the Via Giolitti side, there is at least one place where you can pick up wine or other drinks as well.

If you are talking more about the center, which I consider to be more or less the Pantheon, I have often seen people sitting on the nice wall that goes around the Pantheon on several sides. It is the perfect height for sitting and doesn't inconvenience anyone (which sitting on steps can sometimes do). There is a lovely salumeria (like a deli), on the Piazza Rotonda -- it is on the right if you are facing the front of the Pantheon. You can buy sandwiches and other picnic items here. Last time I was in Rome, they were serving a delicious porchetta, freshly carved from the roasted pig onto a roll. Yum!

For a Sunday picnic in good weather it is hard to beat the park in front of the Borghese Gallery (you would need to use public transit or a taxi from Termini). Another bonus is that the gallery is open on Sunday's....although advance tickets (purchased online) are a must in the busy summer season.

There will be other folks having their picnic in this park and there are benches as well as some vendors where you can buy cold drinks.

Hank