Short and Sweet - A weekend with Azamara

hillsprint

It's a short report on a short cruise, but I hope it's of value to those who have yet to flavor the brand.

My wife and I have cruised with Celebrity and Holland America a few times, and enjoyed what both lines have to offer. However, a promotional email from Azamara 12 days before the sail date for the 3 Night Weekend Getaway, provided the ideal opportunity to see what Azamara had to offer and to take my 87yo father on his first modern cruise (his last being on a troop ship to Egypt in the 1947). It being a last minute thing I booked a V1 balcony for myself and dad (8006), while my wife opted for a OV to herself on Deck 4. Having browsed this forum, I had most of the inside info before we left, and from previous experience we flew over the afternoon before to Fiumicino and stayed the night at the Hilton so as to be fresh for our first day onboard.

The recently "reimagined" Journey is in perfect condition, and while the staterooms are smaller than the equivalent Solstice class ones, they are still spacious enough for two adults, though the frequently mentioned small size of the shower, can be annoying but not a deal breaker. The rooms are actually the same floor area as those on the Noordam, while the shallower balcony is still up to the job. The sodas and waters left in the room are now complimentary, but stateroom alcohol is still charged ( as slightly strange situation?)

The complimentary drinks in the public bars, to all of appropriate age, is for me the best system operating and Celeb & HA should consider moving over to this system (they still have some non drinks package customers) No more handing over room cards, signing slips or ordering only one drink per card. The Azamara method is pain free and efficient, well done to them.

Here are the list of Complimentary drinks (the wines are not listed as they vary day to day)

Drinks_zpsqzluysy2.jpg

The operation of the buffet, Windows Café is another winner, you pick a table, sit down and within seconds a waiter takes you beverage order and off you go, the table is yours, were it so on the bigger lines. The food is excellent and the choice more than adequate. The breakfast Eggs Benedict past the test and the lunchtime sushi selection was a bonus for a wasabi-hound like myself.

I thought the choice in the main dining room was much better than some posts on here seemed to indicate and again the presentation and quality was that expected.

Here is the Discoveries menu from our first night

Menu_zpshuwid97h.jpg

The afternoon and early evening treats in the Living Room were a delightful bonus and the Patio certainly the best fast food outlet we've seen at sea.

To our minds the level of service and the quality of the product was just that little bit better than we have experienced on Celebrity, it's in the details that Azamara pull ahead, an example being the towels and chilled drinks on the running track in the morning, and the delightful e-cards you can send from the new interactive video tables.

The ship never felt crowded, there were no queues, it was all just that bit less frenetic than a boat with a couple of thousand souls on it, but never dull and always amazing !

My father was delighted with his first cruise experience and my wife and I certainly be back with Azamara

My dad was amazed by the service and the amount and quality of the food. The smaller ship was ideal for him and he particularly liked the Living Room, with the views out the front. As to the two ports of call, St Tropez wasn't his cup of tea, but Portofino ticked all his boxes. He's pretty fit and mobile, so the tendering wasn't a problem. He likes his wine and was happy enough with the house wines, but was delighted to find a reasonably priced Rothschild Pauillac on Prime C's list ;) .

He'd be more than happy to return !