Seen the Latest Marco Polo Commercial?

ORV

Well, it's not for Celebrity, it's for Geico. That ad campaign went over about as well as the X the Rules one did.

I wonder if it's the same ad agency stuck on that theme?

Well, it's not for Celebrity, it's for Geico. That ad campaign went over about as well as the X the Rules one did.

Hi Orv,

I've seen the Geico TV ad, and yes, the Celebrity Marco Polo campaign immediately came to mind.

It's as irritating as a bunch of kids playing it in real life. I loved spending time with my kids in the pool when they were young, but that game would drive me to to drink (literally). I'd have to let my wife watch them while I went inside for a beverage.

The llama seems lost as well, from an unknown continent (to Europeans) at that time..

Excusi but a "Marco Polo" used to be synonymous with a lie, at least a misdirection... ;)

Make fun of how dumb us Italians can be. Too common. Very offensive.

The members of our Italian American club will be writing letters very soon.

Still trying to see what this has to do with cruising.

For our non-US Cruise Critic members, a little explanation is in order. At one time, Celebrity used children playing the pool game "Marco Polo" in some of its television ads.

It's a game often played in a swimming pool at night, a variation on Hide and Seek. The child who is "it" calls out "marco" and the others reply "polo" and the first child tries to swim toward a voice and tag that child who then becomes "it" for the next round. They constantly call-and-return "Marco""Polo""Marco""Polo" trying to locate their friends in the dark.

The ads were generally considered to be failures, in part because that appears to be a mostly American game and when the ads were shown worldwide, they didn't make sense. They didn't last long.

Now Geico, an American insurance company, is also using children playing "Marco Polo" in a pool. In this variation, Marco Polo himself is in the pool saying in a bewildered voice something like "here I am".

The current ads have nothing to do with cruising. The earlier ones did.