Passport Question....

tgirl25

My Passport expires in March 2017, my cruise is Feb 2017. Do I need to renew it prior to my cruise or is it still fine as long as it is not expired? I am confused. Some say you have to have a 6mo window beyond to use it but that doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't you be able to use it till it expires? So confused

IMO, better to renew soon for other unexpected purposes. You will be doing it anyway when it expires.

I am going to make a couple of assumptions (which is always dangerous). The first is that you are a US citizen since your location is in the Midwest. The second is that you are doing a closed loop cruise out of a US port.

If those two things are true, you do not need to renew your passport prior to its expiration date to take that specific cruise.

Technically you are not entering any of the countries you visit because your stay is so short. You are considered in transit and any usual 6 months rules don't apply.

no need to assume anything. The OP already posted she is going on a closed loop cruise in post #8 of this thread.

I'm surprised no one has posted that the OP should renew now because you never know when a real good deal to Europe will pop up.

I've seen that one posted too many times to count in these kinds of threads.

OP listen to Sparks and Sauer-Kraut and you won't go wrong in this scenario.

Bill

no need to assume anything. The OP already posted she is going on a closed loop cruise in post #8 of this thread.

I'm surprised no one has posted that the OP should renew now because you never know when a real good deal to Europe will pop up.

I've seen that one posted too many times to count in these kinds of threads.

OP listen to Sparks and Sauer-Kraut and you won't go wrong in this scenario.

Bill

Correct... because in post #6 I figured out her itinerary (which see confirmed in #8) and just suggested travelling with BC and Govt Issued ID...... takes out the 6 month criteria some cruise lines enforce..... just pack the passport in case she needs to travel home since it will still be valid

and it's funny approaching #30 and nothing new is presented

Edited by esm54687

Correct... because in post #6 I figured out her itinerary (which see confirmed in #8) and just suggested travelling with BC and Govt Issued ID...... takes out the 6 month criteria some cruise lines enforce..... just pack the passport in case she needs to travel home since it will still be valid

and it's funny approaching #30 and nothing new is presented

OP has a valid passport so there is no reason to present a birth certificate. From what I've read the cruise lines that do enforce a 6 month criteria are also the ones that require all passengers to have a passport and NCL does not require either.

OP has a valid passport so there is no reason to present a birth certificate. From what I've read the cruise lines that do enforce a 6 month criteria are also the ones that require all passengers to have a passport and NCL does not require either.

agreed.... the OP obviously asked the question because they were concerned about the "6 month rule".... my suggestion was to "pack" the passport in case of emergency (that required air travel home because it would be needed) and to cruise with just BC and Govt Issued ID to simplify things.

BVI requires only a valid passport and does not apply the "6 month" requirement........ so OP can travel with just current passport without any issues.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/FAQs.html

So, the issue I see is not the cruise, it would be an emergency flight if needed.

Pls read the link that discusses the expiration in 6 month.

The passport has to meet the requirements of the country one is flying to and if one is flying to the US it only need to be valid on the day you arrive back, so even for an emergency flight it would still work (you might not be able to meet up with the ship if you missed them in one port and had to fly to the next port, but the odds of that happening are very slight for most people).

The passport has to meet the requirements of the country one is flying to and if one is flying to the US it only need to be valid on the day you arrive back, so even for an emergency flight it would still work (you might not be able to meet up with the ship if you missed them in one port and had to fly to the next port, but the odds of that happening are very slight for most people).

Having re-read this post I would like to add that this is for US citizens only, the US does impose a time remaining on the passport standard on some visitors.