Husband is now a cruise ship snob! Doesn't want to do 5 day Majesty.

oldmom

And didn't the president of the shipyard boast that it would be decades before anything larger was built.

That's hilarious! Man, I just googled pics of Majesty. She seems downright tiny. I'd love to see what ships that were sailing before were like and how small they were!

Only deck 10 has balcony staterooms, and I believe those were retrofitted onto Sovereign which had no balconies when it was initially built. I also remember 9028 on Sovereign which had balcony but was classified as an OV.

Oops, you are, as usual, correct. Brain fart.

Oops, you are, as usual, correct. Brain fart.

I'll have to pass on your quote from Mrs. Cruisejunkie to my son. After our first cruise (he was 12) he said "Our home is on a cruise ship. Real life' is just what we do until we can go home again!" So I'll tell him to think of 'real life' as just a really long shore excursion!

Ha ha ha! I feel like a little kid right now!

...what was cruising like in the old days...:D:D:D

It cost more, but included more. The cost included round trip airfare. The food was more elaborate in the dining room as there were no "extra cost" venues. The booze was much cheaper. There were more waiters per table and less cabins per cabin steward so the service was more attentive. There were way fewer kids. They had more entertainers that were not cruise line employees but were celebrities that came on board. There was more live entertainment in general. There were fewer TVs and no giant ones. There was no internet on board and the phones cost about $6 a minute to call ashore. There were more theme parties. You got a chocolate on your pillow every night. Soft drinks were free. There was a midnight buffet every single night with a "gala" buffet the last night. People tended to dress up more.

Those are some things I remember. All in all, cruising is still a good value, but it seems like the business model then was to get the money up front in the fare and not try to wring as much out of you once on board. There are pros and cons to that as well.

And don't worry, you will be remembering the "good ole days" one day too. :)

Only deck 10 has balcony staterooms, and I believe those were retrofitted onto Sovereign which had no balconies when it was initially built. I also remember 9028 on Sovereign which had balcony but was classified as an OV.

Not often that you make a mistake, but it is deck 8 that has the balconies. :)

Rick

That's hilarious! Man, I just googled pics of Majesty. She seems downright tiny. I'd love to see what ships that were sailing before were like and how small they were!

Well imagine Oasis up next to Majesty and you can get a pretty good idea of what the Sovereign class looked like compared to the rest of the cruise ships when that class came out.

There was an old pic floating around here of the Miami port and about six cruise ships docked. The Sovereign class ship dwarfed all the rest

I was afraid we wouldn't like Enchantment after Liberty, but we did. Since we didn't have any at sea days and we were off the ship all day, it didn't seem like we were missing anything. For a longer cruise I'd like to try a bigger ship but I find the older ships charming. I have a cruise booked on Majesty in December, and I booked that 5 night in January, 2018. If I don't like the December cruise I'll change the other booking, but I doubt I'd dislike the ship. I'm not a size queen. ;)

Bob, I keep seeing a "mast bar" listed on deck 12. I don't remember that. Is that something new?

I was just on Majesty this past June and I remember thinking that was new, but I was not sure as it had been around 5 years since out last cruise on MJ.

I was just on Majesty this past June and I remember thinking that was new, but I was not sure as it had been around 5 years since out last cruise on MJ.

Our last on MJ was 2008. Wow. Time flies. We have not cruised at all since 2011 when our daughter started college. Now that we have that behind us we plan on doing more. I think we will book a couple while on board next week including that 2018 MJ 5 day. It falls on my birthday :D

Here is Royal's first ship, the Song of Norway...weighing in at 22945 gross tons.

34005_zpsdpbbkkel.jpg

For reference, Majesty weighs in at a massive 73941 GT. Not so tiny after all, eh? ;)

OMG! Song of Norway looks like a big tender boat compared to today ships! LOL!

Perhaps on a port intensive cruise I could try one that small. One deck of balconies means if you don't book day 1 you probably won't get a balcony.

The small ships are awesome in their own way. Yes the cabins are tiny. No there is no flow rider. But we have still found them to be lots of fun just different. Although the DH prefers Voyager and larger class ships he will go with me on the smaller ships too. Hoping to book Vision while she is down this way.

Has anyone here had their spouse turn into a cruise ship snob? Saw the 5 day cruise in Jan. 2018 on Majesty for a great price! We even live about 4-4 1/2 hours away from Port canaveral-so short drive. We just got off Oasis in May ( our second time) we are going in December 2016 on Freedom (my third time-his second). We have mainly done Voyager type years ago -and the Freedom classes , Oasis classes in the last 10-12 years-except for a short Bahamas cruise-Sovereign-maybe 6-7 years ago. He thinks the Majesty would " be a let down after Oasis! I agree that the ship can not compare to the larger ships- but it is still a cruise ! Anyone else had this problem after going on "nicer ship" cruises:(.

A cruise is a cruise. We live in upstate ny so I wouldn't do it (for 5 Days) if I had to fly but I would if I lived that close. I would go on the empress if I lived close and it was a good deal. Lol I always like going on a different ship or a different place anytime. Once I get through all the ships then I will become a snob. Lol

OMG! Song of Norway looks like a big tender boat compared to today ships! LOL!

Perhaps on a port intensive cruise I could try one that small. One deck of balconies means if you don't book day 1 you probably won't get a balcony.

I doubt it had balconies Monarch didn't , they might have been added later, but not when it was new

I doubt it had balconies Monarch didn't , they might have been added later, but not when it was new

From the picture I posted easier, I can't see any deck that would have private balconies.

And as you said, Sovereign, which came much later, didn't even have balconies, so the older ships definitely didn't.