Policy on Tipping in Italy / Spain

• 2 weeks later...
We are arriving two days early to Rome before our cruise.

Does anyone know if tipping is 15% in Rome for meals - or is it included in the bill?

Also for luggage and hotel staff??

Generally a service charge is included for restos(you can check the bill when it comes),but if you get good service and/or a nice waiter you can always leave a few extra euro.I usually give the bellman a euro for each bag,and I leave the maid a couple of euro each day.Tipping is up to you of course,but it is always appreciated.BTW, even if breakfast is included ,and more or less self serve I still leave the girl a little extra when we leave.

There is no excessive tipping in Europe as it is in the US. Certainly a nice tip is appreciated, 5% are about minimum, 10% would be generous. Service is included in the prices, waiters do not depend on tips as in the States. Nevertheless check your bill if a tip/service charge/what ever it is called has already been added, no more tipping then. Yet this not the "coperto" the cover charge which is additonally added in Italy and includes the bread and things like that.

Only in "bars" where you get coffee and similiar, service is not included in thh same way and 12-15% would be appreciated.

Tips in hotels depend on the class of the hotel of course, but is also more modest. A couple of Euros per day for the maid sounds very much (unless you stay in one of the most expensive suites or similiar).

A couple of items about tipping in Rome. Normally, a service charge is NOT included with the bill but one is expected. For whatever reason, if you use Credit Card we found that you could not add a gratuity to the charge. Rather, we needed to leave it in Euros. So, I would have some Euros with you for a gratuity. I would say that 10-15% is fine.

For baggage I would tip the way you do in the US. If you take a taxi, tips would be expected as well.

Keith

Archived