AT&Tcell service in Canada questions

MSEm

We have AT&T cellular service and Samsung S7 Android phones.

We will be doing the NYC to Montreal, Canada cruise in Oct 2016. We would like to send and receive text messages and also the phone call is needed. Any suggestion and experiences on cell phone use in Canada?

Thanks

We have AT&T cellular service and Samsung S7 Android phones.

We will be doing the NYC to Montreal, Canada cruise in Oct 2016. We would like to send and receive text messages and also the phone call is needed. Any suggestion and experiences on cell phone use in Canada?

Thanks

Check with your provider and get an international roaming package.I've work with American in Canada . One didn't let his provider know he was in Canada. They locked his phone except for calls to the cellphone provider's call center.

I second checking with ATT and their plans for Canada. Verizon has a plan which includes Mexico and Canada. If you don't do a data plan, make sure your phone has data roaming turned off in Canada or you could find a larger than expected bill. I am certain the ATT person can give you the options.

Enjoy you trip, the scenery will be wonderful

We use Consumer Cellular, which is AT&T network but doesn't offer international roaming.

We signed up for KnowRoaming this spring and have used it 4 times in Canada so far, works great. We like that it is pay as you go, allows texting (although not on your regular #), lets you get calls made to your regular #, doesn't require you to use any data if you don't want to, and works in LOTS of countries (we have used it in France and UK as well so far).

If you are going to a single country, it probably makes more sense to buy your carrier's package -- or if you don't mind a different # and want to save $, get a SIM card for that country. But for multiple countries we have been very pleased.

ymmv, and if you don't have a Samsung device set up is apparently more of a hassle. When initially entering the new country sometimes the app automatically kicks in, sometimes you have to tell it to kick in. When returning to US via land, it tries to automatically switch back but 3 of 4 times a couple of restarts were required.

Since you just want to send text's and receive/make calls --

1) Notify ATT to enable international service - Canada is considered international

2) Phone calls are $1 per minute and texts are $0.50 each.

3) If you are doing more and want a package -- they have a $40 "Passport" package for 30 days that gives you unlimited texts, phone at $1/minute and 200MB of data for emails.

4) If you only do text/phone -- make sure data roaming is off -- otherwise you can be in for a big surprise as data without a plan is VERY expensive.

Thank you for all the info on cell phone in Canada. I will definitely call ATT for the Passport plan. I knew ATT and changed name and/or plan. The old plan was "Worldwide" calling.