Waitlist for disabled cabin?

uptowne001

My twin sister (who is in an electric wheelchair) will be taking her first cruise with me in June on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda. I just did the same cruise in July and was impressed with the accessibility of the ship, and have assured her she is going to have a great time :)

I currently have her booked in an ocean view accessible stateroom, as no balcony accessible rooms were available, only a sky suite. I didn't even think to ask about a wait list if one was to become available. Does anyone know if Celebrity maintains a waitlist, and would it be worth calling to get on it?

TIA!

Interesting. I was recently on the Constellation - sister ship of the Summit and I thought the accessibility was the worst of any ship I have ever been on! I will be on the Summit in October so I hope it's better. Yes you can wait list a particular cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by twin123185

Thanks, I will do that then! Yes, we are on the June 4, 2017 sailing.

Hopefully I was not overlooking things about the accessibility of the Summit, but I did not notice anywhere that would have been inaccessible or problematic for my sister. With that being said I am not disabled so very well may have overlooked things. Fingers crossed the trip goes well for her as I know how frustrating it can be to constantly be impeded by barriers while on vacation.

I will be in a disability cabin on the Constellation midship by the elevators. What made you feel that it was the worst?

Interesting. I was recently on the Constellation - sister ship of the Summit and I thought the accessibility was the worst of any ship I have ever been on! I will be on the Summit in October so I hope it's better. Yes you can wait list a particular cabin.

Thanks, I will do that then! Yes, we are on the June 4, 2017 sailing.

The 6/4 sailing doesn't have too many cabins left. The 6/11 cruise had some accessible verandahs available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I will be in a disability cabin on the Constellation midship by the elevators. What made you feel that it was the worst?

The cabin itself was just fine. Excellent in fact. The problems were:

1. No automatic cabin door

2. No automatic door to get on or off outside decks.

3. There are many places in con in areas where the floor has a metal raised "bar" that are very difficult to traverse without help.

It was virtually impossible for a solo person in a wheelchair to be self sufficient. Without a traveling partner that ship would be a disaster.

Since this is her first cruise......Warn her that there will be(some) people who will be rude to wheel chairs, just like Walmart, Macy's or many other places.

Ever had your foot run over by a person in a wheelchair/scooter & have them say "if you weren't in my way, it wouldn't have happened to you!" I have, so try to understand other peoples feelings as well!

Ever had your foot run over by a person in a wheelchair/scooter & have them say "if you weren't in my way, it wouldn't have happened to you!" I have, so try to understand other peoples feelings as well!

Yeah, in my experience that's normally at the lifts when folks try to sneak up in front of people who have been sat there waiting patiently. It's a favourite sport at muster drill and whenever returning to the ship from on-shore.

I much prefer to give them a good tongue lashing and wouldn't wish to justify the actions of my less forthright but more physical bretheren, but having been there inummerable times I'd recomend that it might be a good idea to wheel a mile in someone else's tracks before you criticise their frustration.

As for the OPs question - yes, Celebrity does maintain a wait list and a good TA will be able to find out how long it is. Often, they will come back and tell you it's so lonl there's no point listing you especially if you want something in high demand like a HC room or a suite.

But have a wonderful time, regardless of what accomodation you get.

My husband was in a wheelchair. Pushing him was extremely difficult. I was exhausted, tired. It is not only pushing him but taking care of everything else that must be done because he was disabled. The caretaker is often tired but does it because they love that person. Look at the faces of the caretakers. They are tired and need our help. You can open a door, take the next elevator so they can get on comfortably, make their way a bit easier. When people opened doors for me or helped me in any way I was extremely grateful. It was a blessing in my life. There for the grace of God go you and I.

Maybe you have never experienced being in a wheel chair. OR you were not giving the wheel chair enough room.